02 SE r50 build - Buttercup

Buttercup

cf26dde5a6f86ab4576581546811e484.jpg5e1f10443e537f4defc8596788419ceb.jpg

My 2002 SE Buttercup. She’s a real work in progress, I’ve had her since summer of ‘18 and have had multiple misfires and other unfortunate events. She had been moved from lot to lot before I picked her up, so prior maintenance wasn’t too shabby (she just didn’t get many miles for awhile). Only minor problems, so it’s been mostly enjoyable for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 6

Love the name! What is her manufacture date (it’s on the driver’s sill), I don’t recall seeing an ‘02 SE without the charcoal fenders & bumpers. Perhaps paint matching was an SE option - I know the reverse wasn’t true for LEs or I would have done it.

Love the name! What is her manufacture date (it’s on the driver’s sill), I don’t recall seeing an ‘02 SE without the charcoal fenders & bumpers. Perhaps paint matching was an SE option - I know the reverse wasn’t true for LEs or I would have done it.

June of 2002 475c2924bc9500629409fd8d2e1bb68a.jpg

Also had to search for a new gas door a few weeks ago, the old one was jammed and very beat up. 3eed5ba77ce53bc4cde6e0b324dbdd86.jpg
Ordered a junkyard piece and had our local body shop color match it with my truck.

• Like 4

Looking good! All the little repairs/replacements definitely add up. RockAuto has cheap hatch/glass struts if you need those too.

They’re on Amazon too. About $20/pair.@stpickens just did his & I have the struts waiting to do mine.

On 3/5/2019 at 4:20 PM, RainGoat said:

The "titanium tint" trim was exclusive on the 99.5-01 SE. Just fyi. ;)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

4fe679c802c9ad37de02210d593e07ee.jpg
2efb5590f48754a8cba2bc90731740fb.jpg
New grill and fog lights installed, hopefully the headlights will be next.
Also currently considering wheel spacers for a more aggressive look.

• Like 5

Looks good. TBH I've seen headlights much worse than that clean up great with polishing. Something to consider if you haven't already.

Thanks so much! I haven’t looked into anything quite yet, so the advice is greatly appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a friend that helped with the installation of my bumper and whatnot, and said he tried to polish that yellow headlight. There is some cracked residue on the edges and looks like someone tried to do a diy polishing that backfired. The other one can be cleaned up, but will likely need to purchase a replacement for ol’ yeller.

I have a friend that helped with the installation of my bumper and whatnot, and said he tried to polish that yellow headlight. There is some cracked residue on the edges and looks like someone tried to do a diy polishing that backfired. The other one can be cleaned up, but will likely need to purchase a replacement for ol’ yeller.

Just as an FYI if you go for replacement, I think it was@Astrorami who trialed one of the eBay units & found it lacking. Should be an easy thing to grab from a JY.

3 minutes ago, RainGoat said:

Just as an FYI if you go for replacement, I think it was@Astrorami who trialed one of the eBay units & found it lacking. Should be an easy thing to grab from a JY.

Absolutely, JY’s are your friend for anything. One of my several mistakes I made with my pathfinder was buying an OE grill for $70. I found a honeycomb one a few months later for $5, and that’s what’s gonna be on my R50 for the foreseeable future

Just as an FYI if you go for replacement, I think it was[mention=41155]Astrorami[/mention] who trialed one of the eBay units & found it lacking. Should be an easy thing to grab from a JY.

I did try those “euro style” headlights. They’re the ones with black around the edges of reflector. They looked sorta cool but the reflector itself was terrible. The beam pattern was way scattered and uneven. OEM is definitely the way to go.

I did try those “euro style” headlights. They’re the ones with black around the edges of reflector. They looked sorta cool but the reflector itself was terrible. The beam pattern was way scattered and uneven. OEM is definitely the way to go.

Definitely OEM, since I only need one replaced I’d need it to match the other.

1531a60de5b88e37479edddefdbbf69a.jpg

Just a mock up of what I’ve been considering: Rhino lining the bumpers, fenders, and rocker panels. Thoughts?
Also put some coloring on the window because I’m planning on getting tint as well.
The rims I’d paint black until I can get some steelies and new tires.

• Like 2

1531a60de5b88e37479edddefdbbf69a.jpg

Just a mock up of what I’ve been considering: Rhino lining the bumpers, fenders, and rocker panels. Thoughts?
Also put some coloring on the window because I’m planning on getting tint as well.
The rims I’d paint black until I can get some steelies and new tires.

I did this with plastidip. Used graphite pearl clear for a gray finish. Looks stock.

I did this with plastidip. Used graphite pearl clear for a gray finish. Looks stock.

That’s why I’m going for black. I like the stock two tones, but I’m looking for something more aggressive and unique than that. Plus the rhino lining would prevent any scratches, which my bumpers are covered in right now.

I had the same wheels on my silver 01 rig when I first got it but I didn't like them much. Your particular setup is the only I've seen with them that looks really good. The paint color and wheel/tire combo you have is sharp and  your truck is in great shape to boot. Really dig it. Im not sure I would black out the wheels though. The combo of silver wheels with black trim and the gold body could look really clean. Maybe do the black trim first and see how it looks adding the wheels after if it needs it?

I had the same wheels on my silver 01 rig when I first got it but I didn't like them much. Your particular setup is the only I've seen with them that looks really good. The paint color and wheel/tire combo you have is sharp and  your truck is in great shape to boot. Really dig it. Im not sure I would black out the wheels though. The combo of silver wheels with black trim and the gold body could look really clean. Maybe do the black trim first and see how it looks adding the wheels after if it needs it?

That sounds like a good idea, my only thing is that I wouldn’t have many if not any other silver decals/trim on it. I’ll see how it is after the trim and tint for sure, I’m just currently skeptical. I’m glad you like the rims now, thanks! :)

• Like 1