4WD Light Blinking When Put into 4wd????

joshrichard

When I put my truck into 4wd the orange 4wd light starts blinking. I have manual hubs and don’t remember that happening before installing. It only started today and hasn’t done it and I’ve had manual hubs on since December and used 4wd a lot since, any ideas or what’s going on?

17 minutes ago, joshrichard said:

When I put my truck into 4wd the orange 4wd light starts blinking. I have manual hubs and don’t remember that happening before installing. It only started today and hasn’t done it and I’ve had manual hubs on since December and used 4wd a lot since, any ideas or what’s going on?

Ya I’d say that’s not normal. Have you looked in an FSM for any diagnostic information?

• Like 1

I know on some rigs the 4wd light will be on if you're driving around in 2wd with the hubs unlocked, it's just the computer sensing something wrong because the front end isn't rotating. But since it's on in 4wd it might be a little different. Did you make sure that the hubs are fully locked when switching to 4wd? They might've not fully engaged when you switched to 4wd perhaps, just my perspective on how I see it but maybe someone has the answer.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I know on some rigs the 4wd light will be on if you're driving around in 2wd with the hubs unlocked, it's just the computer sensing something wrong because the front end isn't rotating. But since it's on in 4wd it might be a little different. Did you make sure that the hubs are fully locked when switching to 4wd? They might've not fully engaged when you switched to 4wd perhaps, just my perspective on how I see it but maybe someone has the answer.

It’s weird because everything works fine, I went up on some slippery rocks I knew I would slide on and the front wheels were spinning so everything is working

It’s weird because everything works fine, I went up on some slippery rocks I knew I would slide on and the front wheels were spinning so everything is working
When was the last time you checked your fluid level in the T case? That might have to do something with the light blinking. I would check that and put some fluid in the fill hole till it comes out. It could be low

There is a self diagnosis function you should probably do. Do you have a FSM for your model?

I read it earlier very quickly and it said 1 second intervals was overheating and 2 second intervals (what I’m getting) was difference in tire diameter which would make sense because I have bigger tires and that’s what it was doing but it’s not an all the time thing, it’s only when the center differential is locked so not while in the auto mode because I have the all mode dial shifter. I can live with the light and the 2 second intervals sounds like it answers my question but I was just wondering if others had encountered this problem because I had never heard about this besides some people having problems with the light coming on during long highway driving.

When was the last time you checked your fluid level in the T case? That might have to do something with the light blinking. I would check that and put some fluid in the fill hole till it comes out. It could be low

I have never changed it and will change it. Do you know what fluid it takes?

Okay, and I’m going to need to a buy a pump for this because IIRC the fill plug is in an awkward position, right?
Yeah you're gonna need the hand pump to fill up the t case, that's what I used

• Like 1

Did you say if it’s doing this with or without the hubs locked? Or both? If it was related to the manual hubs, then it should only happen when they are unlocked because when the hubs are locked it is no different than the stock configuration.  

Did you say if it’s doing this with or without the hubs locked? Or both? If it was related to the manual hubs, then it should only happen when they are unlocked because when the hubs are locked it is no different than the stock configuration.  

The first blinking was when hubs were locked and the truck was in 4wd. Real 4wd, not the auto feature. This morning was unlocked and it stopped blinking soon after

I guess if I’d read the title better I’d have realized you were already in 4wd with the hubs locked! Like I said, if that’s the case then it shouldn’t have anything to do with the manual hubs. I agree with starting with a fluid change because that’s a good maintenance step regardless.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...