Chip tune?

Ole_Rosie_R50

I found an OBD2 chip tune online for pathfinders from 1996-now and I’m thinking about buying it. But I’m a little suspicious of the $70 price. Here’s the link - https://performancechipsnow.com/performance-chip-for-nissan-pathfinder?language=en-gb&currency=USD&gclid=Cj0KCQiAtbnjBRDBARIsAO3zDl_xclwuMQzET59FVD4Zg4Lq5jCFcq00NEIqIhdvpkJ_U3Ko2as9dYUaAr10EALw_wcB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I found an OBD2 chip tune online for pathfinders from 1996-now and I’m thinking about buying it. But I’m a little suspicious of the $70 price. Here’s the link - https://performancechipsnow.com/performance-chip-for-nissan-pathfinder?language=en-gb&currency=USD&gclid=Cj0KCQiAtbnjBRDBARIsAO3zDl_xclwuMQzET59FVD4Zg4Lq5jCFcq00NEIqIhdvpkJ_U3Ko2as9dYUaAr10EALw_wcB

Not sure what you’d actually get out of a $70 tune, I’m curious how well it will work if at all, if you decide to do it keep us updated, I hate that we have almost no support for engine mods for our trucks so if this works that would be awesome

• Like 1

Their website doesn’t say too much about what it actually does or hooks up to, but it does mention altering some sort of sensor signal. If I had to guess, they’re likely similar to the “Innovative Power Programmer” chip available for the Pathfinder through Amazon. I got one a long time ago, back when I first got the pathfinder, hoping to squeeze out a little more MPG, but it was worthless.

When I did it, I didn’t know much about cars, so I didn’t know much about what it did. It said to splice into the wiring for the intake air temperature sensor, and the chip will tune from there.

With the knowledge I have now, really all that chip was doing was telling the engine computer that it was colder outside than it is, making it dump more fuel. In turn, maybe you got a little more power, but it didn’t seem enough to really change mpg. I don’t think the pathfinder relies on the IAT as much as some other vehicles, but I could be wrong...

I wonder if I still have it sitting around somewhere, because I could probably take it apart at work and analyze the electronics, see what its really doing with the voltage provided to it

• Like 1

2 hours ago, QuasarDecimari said:

Their website doesn’t say too much about what it actually does or hooks up to, but it does mention altering some sort of sensor signal. If I had to guess, they’re likely similar to the “Innovative Power Programmer” chip available for the Pathfinder through Amazon. I got one a long time ago, back when I first got the pathfinder, hoping to squeeze out a little more MPG, but it was worthless.

When I did it, I didn’t know much about cars, so I didn’t know much about what it did. It said to splice into the wiring for the intake air temperature sensor, and the chip will tune from there.

With the knowledge I have now, really all that chip was doing was telling the engine computer that it was colder outside than it is, making it dump more fuel. In turn, maybe you got a little more power, but it didn’t seem enough to really change mpg. I don’t think the pathfinder relies on the IAT as much as some other vehicles, but I could be wrong...

I wonder if I still have it sitting around somewhere, because I could probably take it apart at work and analyze the electronics, see what its really doing with the voltage provided to it

I believe those are basically just resistors that like you said, make the ecu believe it is receiving colder air 

• Like 1

Hey everyone,

I was looking at one myself (https://www.performancechiptuning.com/stage-1-performance-chip-module-obd2-for-nissan/). I am a little skeptical, but I don't find it impossible. I had a 1996 Grand Am that someone programmed using a laptop and the OBD2 port. This doesn't appear to be one of those cheap resistor ones I would find on eBay. Could the instructions for a tune be simply programmed into a dongle? That would be great! To chip my 95 525i, I have to physically remove a ship in the electronics box. 

C.M.

Read some reviews for the heck of it. All I can say is if you have your heart set on engine performance, you won’t find it in that chip.

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/Discussion-t15065_ds509816

Also, that video @Slartibartfast put up is very worthwhile to watch. It really warns against any kind of OBD2 based “chip” or “tune”.

Edited by PathyDude17

Any kind of tune or chip like this is definitely a waste of money. Tunes do work, but not universal stuff like this. The only kind of tune that actually does anything is a legitimate vehicle specific tuner that accesses the computer via the obd2 port and makes permanent changes to the ecu programming. As far as I know, no company has ever put the time and money into developing tunes for the R50 platform.