Lower Oil Pan Problems 01 Pathy

ryjaytay38

Hey guys,

I was trying to avoid dropping the upper oil pan so I bought a new lower oil pan hoping that was the oil leak and not the upper. I got the felpro gasket and bolted the new one on tightened to 80 in/lbs. It's still leaking!!! Is it possible that the surface is warped? When I pulled off the old one, it was on there completely with RTV, no gasket at all. Maybe whoever put on the previous one knew something I didn't. I cleaned it really well-scraped it and used break kleen, but I can look at the side and see it seeping. Very slightly, but it is seeping. What should I do? Total RTV or get another gasket and try again? I would appreciate any input!! Thanks!

PS. Just looked in Haynes Manual and it says use RTV. It says nothing about a gasket other than if the flange is distorted, use a wood block and hammer to flatten and restore the gasket surface. I'd still like any personal advice if you've gone through it.

Edited by ryjaytay38

I used a felpro gasket when I rebuilt my engine, I just slightly lubricated the gasket with assembly lube before applying it, and it hasn’t given me much issue. I have noticed it really isn’t a perfect seal too though, and I probably would have rather put RTV. Thankfully it’s an easy swap if need be. Given the amount of parts on these engines that are RTV sealed, I see nothing wrong with just using RTV on the oil pan itself, like the manual suggests.