Water pump went... early! what else todo.

Mattmill91

But due to all your guys optimism I’ll double check all my work.

Make sure my plugs are plug in the right holes order vacuume lines ect...

And I’ll pull the code... I know y’all are hoping for me to get lucky but I don’t think so.

Thank god I am in ca with lows in the 50s. Cause I am pedaling to work. Side note. Pedaling gets great gas mileage..

• 2 weeks later...
Any updates?

Haven’t really dove back in.

Washed her up and fired her up again. Yesterday Still a blinking CEL and a get rough idle low engine speeds. Can race it 2k and it’s smoother. But somethings wrong.

All ready have the new head gasket set head bolts ect plus 2/3 of the left heads valve set

f7902e0688c6c6c8ecf11e783ff27745.jpgbbad8854b1d4275b9fb48b13ed3dd48d.jpg

Thinking to compression test a few cylinders to confirm my suspected error of bending the valves on the left bank (1,3,5) not too sure what else to do.

Also checked the plug wires pretty sure they are right...

Sure timing is right since it’s running. . Not sure if it would or how it would run if the cam was a tooth off. I am also pretty sure the tooth count on time belt was correct

Hmm. Yeah, that's not sounding good then. If you had plugs crossed up, it would be missing on two. I'd pull the valve cover and see if one of the rockers for #1 is loose when the valve should be closed.

Checking under cover. “Loose” rocked could be interpreted as a bent valve?

That's the idea. If the valve is bent, the spring can't pull it up as far, leaving the rocker arm a little slack when the valve's closed... though now that I think about it, I'm not sure how much bend the hydraulic lifters might be able to fudge for. The compression test is a better idea.

I think you can rule out the belt. If the lack of fire in #1 was because of incorrect cam timing, #3 and #5 wouldn't be hitting, either.

• Like 1

do a leakdown test. itll tell you more than a compression test. 

have to push compressed air to each sparkplug holes. make sure the cylinder have all the valves closed when doing the testing so you can tell which one is leaking.

hissing sound from intake manifold or air filter = bent intake valves

hissing sound from exhaust manifold or exhaust = bent exhaust valves

open radiator cap. bubbles coming out from radiator filler = leaking headgasket from cylinder #? 

hissing sound coming from oil dipstick = piston rings are leaking or have blow by 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

P0300 is just a misfire. With Nissan, it is a multiple cylinder misfire. Misfire on #1 is a P0301.  P0325 is just the normal knock sensor code that is very common for the VG engines and doesn't really do anything. Sorry I didn't see this thread earlier, but I would have told you that the valves would have been fine unless you had a timing belt break while under heavy load and high rpm. I have done a bunch of timing belt jobs on the VGs, and your symptoms would have had me pulling the timing covers off again and rechecking the right cam timing. 1 tooth off it will start and run just a little rough, but throw misfire codes. That right cam is a sneaky bugger and loves to slip just a little when you are not looking. 

• Like 1

P0300 is just a misfire. With Nissan, it is a multiple cylinder misfire. Misfire on #1 is a P0301.  P0325 is just the normal knock sensor code that is very common for the VG engines and doesn't really do anything. Sorry I didn't see this thread earlier, but I would have told you that the valves would have been fine unless you had a timing belt break while under heavy load and high rpm. I have done a bunch of timing belt jobs on the VGs, and your symptoms would have had me pulling the timing covers off again and rechecking the right cam timing. 1 tooth off it will start and run just a little rough, but throw misfire codes. That right cam is a sneaky bugger and loves to slip just a little when you are not looking. 

Thanks........... I really do appreciate the info.... guess I should of done better diagnostics.

• 2 months later...

Ok so new problem. Got her back together. 6 months later and she’s running real rough... . Feels like a vac leak maybe... not sure.. it revs out smooth but isles like complete dog @!*% IMG_3418.JPG
IMG_3426.JPG

Just by looking at your fuel trim readings, you either have low fuel pressure or an intake leak. Hard for me to tell with the video. You said it gets happier when you rev up, but a poor idle. Those are symptoms of an intake air leak.

One other thing I have seen that causes issues like yours is having the O2 sensors plugged in wrong. All 4 are near each other and if you get the left and right mixed up, the ECU gets very angry because it can't figure out how to control the injectors. Try swapping the plugs and see if that helps. 

Edited by Mr_Reverse
Remembered stuff
  • Like 1

Thanks for the suggestions! I confirmed the other day it was an intake leak at lower intake and upper plenum. I had managed to push the paper gasket a side and pushed the bolts through it and lined up the front one. Creating a significant leak.