1994 SE factory alarm system questions

msavides

II was wonderin about the factory alarm system .  is it itegrated with the door locks.  Has anyone removed the factory alarm and put in an aftermarket? were all the connectors for the factory alarm usable for the aftermarket alarm. 

I know on my 91 se, the alarm was just the rocker switch with not remote.  This one uses a remote, However I did not get it with the car.  was wondering if it is worth trying to find a remote and see if the factory one works.,  What is the likelyhood of the factory alarm still being funtional. My first thought is to just replace it with an aftermarket. Just wondering if it is going to be like chasing down wires in the kick panel and the column like it was with moy other pathfinders or if most of the wires will be under the drivers seat with the factory module., 

The stock system taps into the door lock system but isn't integral to it (I removed mine and the door locks work the same as they ever did). The only thing wrong with mine was that the siren didn't work and the PO had long since lost the fob. Not sure if a new one would be more/less reliable than stock, I haven't messed around with alarm systems apart from removing mine.

The wiring you'd need for the aftermarket alarm should all be there where the original was unless the new one has other features/needs. TSB NTB 93-036 has the wiring diagram of the stock alarm system, which should identify everything you'd need to wire an aftermarket alarm or to program a new fob into your standard one. I thought I got it from Nico but I can't find it on there now (not listed with the other TSBs in the jumble that is the '93 "manual," unless it's one of the files labelled in Latvian rather than listed by #). PM me your email and I'll send you the PDF.

i found the programing instuctions for the remote, but I think I will replace it with an after market remote start pager unit.  I don't have much faith in the relibility of factory nissan alarms. 

I also noticed that the ABS module is located under the drivers seat as well. it was screwed to a wood block. I know this was not factory and was wondering how it was mounted from factory. I think I am missing a bracket under the seat to mount the abs module to.

This is becoming a lot of work

Spent the last weekend  reversing all the band-aids and rigging the previous owners have done to this vehicle.

removed 2 inches of silicone from rear cargo area windows,  heated the warped window trim and got it to sit back flush, sealed with black marine grade adheasive.

removed the 30 + screws that were used to incorrectly hold things on.  

removed the 15 + wirenuts under the hood used to run wiring and rig up ignition system

Removed vinyl sagging plastic headliner peice and cleaned and painted and reattached.

removed 6 layers of paint used on the lego rim hub caps, repainted.

fixed cigarette burns in seats,  then put seat covers on them

removed lights from bumper.

replaced grill that they notched to fix lights on bumper

vacuumed and steam cleaned carpet and seats

painted coroded battery tray

changed transmission fluid and engine oil

doing complete front end rebuild this weekend:  brakes, rotors, ball joints, controll arm bushings, bearings, manual locking hubs, shocks,

folowing weekend: installing new stereo and speakers, alarm system , fix door locks, speedometer replacement, recover door panels.

Edited by msavides
  • Like 1

I mean the guy bypassed the ignition switch and ran a wire all the way to the starter, and hooked up a push button to crank the starter. 

I had to yank the wires out and fix the starter relay and hook it back up with the factory wiring. 

It is starting to look like a decent vehicle,   I know got to figure out how to fix all the screw holes in all the plastic trim peices he screwed into.

trying to find a drivers side parking brake cable for rear disc is impossible.   the guy cut the cables and used cable u bolts to tie the cables together.  That ofcourse did not work. 

he spliced in the headlight socket to wire up his fog lamps and melted the bulb socket.  gotta fix that too

Edited by msavides
  • Like 1

IIRC there was a thread recently where somebody found a source for WD21 disk parking brake cables. Might've been an eBay listing? Pretty sure they were new parts.

Also, I found my ABS module, so you can see what that bracket's supposed to look like. Looks like it's held to the module with push-clips rather than proper fasteners.

abs1

abs2

Thanks for the pic.  I am missing the bottom L bracket that mounts to the floor. The bracket that uses the push clips is still on it. 

I will have to find one the next time I am at a bone yard.  The wd21s are drying up around here.  There was only one in the last Pick n Pull i went to, it is 60 miles away so I don't get out there much.  No Pick N pulls around me.