Subwoofer placement ideas

DirtyRhino

I’ve gone too long without a sub in my truck but

I really don’t want to use up my cargo space on a box. I would love to see what setups you guys are Running. Couldn’t find much searching so if there’s a thread on this out there I apologize.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I built a simple MDF box for a 10” sub and placed it on the left side of the cargo area. It’s easy to remove when I need the space. I have since replaced that box with a JL Audio stealthbox, and the one pictured is for sale if you’re interested.
Polk Audio db105 driver.
f8067bd7fe3b47538580230ef345d553.jpgc9b5a4eb4aa24c11915a4cd290583dd7.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 3

I built a simple MDF box for a 10” sub and placed it on the left side of the cargo area. It’s easy to remove when I need the space. I have since replaced that box with a JL Audio stealthbox, and the one pictured is for sale if you’re interested.
Polk Audio db105 driver.
f8067bd7fe3b47538580230ef345d553.jpgc9b5a4eb4aa24c11915a4cd290583dd7.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Clean and simple setup, I may consider making a small box like that. I have 8 or 9 subs laying around I can use but thanks for the offer.

you could always fab up something to mount a shallow ten in that little hidden cubby on the passenger side in the back....like this 

You know that was actually my first thought since I see something similar on the Honda pilots, except theirs is mounted in between the actual panel and the body, pain in the ass to replace too when they go bad, (replaced a @!*% ton under warranty, not fun at all) just not sure how much space is behind that panel to fit a sub

For me when I’ve tried to have small sealed enclosures in the past, it only lasts a couple months before I fill up the back with a large vented enclosure.

I’m sure it’s mostly a “nothing is ever enough” character flaw on my part but I’d use the absolute largest enclosure you can live with from the beginning and avoid soon to come dissatisfaction with the output from a low profile system.

This is what I had and while space was somewhat of an issue when I needed to haul my toolboxes or the kids Christmas presents, the remaining 95% of the time was fine.
665d11666ec2f61ff9cea8eaa36c71ea.jpg

I will say that having a large woofer gives you the ability to adjust each song to the correct low end output while also reserving the ability to jam out when you like. For instance Third Eye Blind - Tattoo of the Sun’s low end just isn’t going to pop unless you have a large system with gobs of output, and there are many other songs like it where achieving the crisp punches on a lower output system means you are going to have to overdrive the woofer and the sound quality is going to suffer.

On the other hand, and again this is surely a character flaw on my part, with a high output system the temptation to jam out and be “that guy” riding around with thunderous rumblings emitting from your vehicle happens more often then not..

That’s my 2cents :]

• Haha 2

For me when I’ve tried to have small sealed enclosures in the past, it only lasts a couple months before I fill up the back with a large vented enclosure.

I’m sure it’s mostly a “nothing is ever enough” character flaw on my part but I’d use the absolute largest enclosure you can live with from the beginning and avoid soon to come dissatisfaction with the output from a low profile system.

This is what I had and while space was somewhat of an issue when I needed to haul my toolboxes or the kids Christmas presents, the remaining 95% of the time was fine.
665d11666ec2f61ff9cea8eaa36c71ea.jpg

I will say that having a large woofer gives you the ability to adjust each song to the correct low end output while also reserving the ability to jam out when you like. For instance Third Eye Blind - Tattoo of the Sun’s low end just isn’t going to pop unless you have a large system with gobs of output, and there are many other songs like it where achieving the crisp punches on a lower output system means you are going to have to overdrive the woofer and the sound quality is going to suffer.

On the other hand, and again this is surely a character flaw on my part, with a high output system the temptation to jam out and be “that guy” riding around with thunderous rumblings emitting from your vehicle happens more often then not..

That’s my 2cents :]

While I do enjoy bass blaring through my speakers I’m more concerned with practicality, I do a lot of trail riding so space is very important for me. I’m just looking for a little more bump in the trunk with sacrificing as little space as possible

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DirtyRhino said:

While I do enjoy bass blaring through my speakers I’m more concerned with practicality, I do a lot of trail riding so space is very important for me. I’m just looking for a little more bump in the trunk with sacrificing as little space as possible

is there enough room in the cubby under the carpet of the trunk to put a shallow mount subwoofer?

mbzBuz.jpg

This cubby (ignore the wiring, part of a rock light project). You could probably fit something pretty big out of sight and with no storage loss

Edited by PathyDude17
  • Like 1

is there enough room in the cubby under the carpet of the trunk to put a shallow mount subwoofer?

Interesting, I’ll have to go out and take some measurements and see how much space I have to work with. May not be a bad idea

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DirtyRhino said:

Interesting, I’ll have to go out and take some measurements and see how much space I have to work with. May not be a bad idea

Ya, i forget how shallow they make those boxes, but if you don't mind doing your own fabrication, that may be a really effective way to go

2 hours ago, Sjackson2 said:

you could always fab up something to mount a shallow ten in that little hidden cubby on the passenger side in the back....like this 

This looks awesome except for the fact that you can't lift up the rug to access anything in that lower storage compartment without taking the sub box out

Ya, i forget how shallow they make those boxes, but if you don't mind doing your own fabrication, that may be a really effective way to go

Fabricating is the least of my worries, I’m good at that, I just want a really clean install without compromising the “utility” part so to speak.

1 hour ago, micahfelker said:

This looks awesome except for the fact that you can't lift up the rug to access anything in that lower storage compartment without taking the sub box out

you could always cut and seam the carpet where it meets the box and velcro it down for access to the storage cubby later on. not that difficult 

So this is what I had in mind on the pathfinder if I could make it work, this is an 07 Honda Pilot that I’m working on. If I can get away with a similar setup that sounds decent that would awesome 86c6133cd0620c22c65c4ad6ba22e188.jpg

2 hours ago, DirtyRhino said:

So this is what I had in mind on the pathfinder if I could make it work, this is an 07 Honda Pilot that I’m working on. If I can get away with a similar setup that sounds decent that would awesome 86c6133cd0620c22c65c4ad6ba22e188.jpg

My mom had an 03 with that exact subwoofer setup, it was a crappy treated paper one. Terrible sound and no power. But, I bet you could do better on your own. I think they make drop in replacements for that location on 4th gen 4runners, which means something like that must be viable in your scenario too.

• Like 1

My mom had an 03 with that exact subwoofer setup, it was a crappy treated paper one. Terrible sound and no power. But, I bet you could do better on your own. I think they make drop in replacements for that location on 4th gen 4runners, which means something like that must be viable in your scenario too.

She had an 03 pathfinder or 4Runner ? I plan on pulling that panel off this weekend and see what I have to work with. I’m really hoping I can make it work. I’ll keep you guys updated with what I figure out

3 minutes ago, DirtyRhino said:

She had an 03 pathfinder or 4Runner ? I plan on pulling that panel off this weekend and see what I have to work with. I’m really hoping I can make it work. I’ll keep you guys updated with what I figure out

03 pilot. Have you checked that cubby under the carpet?

Edited by PathyDude17

03 pilot. Have you checked that cubby under the carpet?

Yea I did, could be feasible with a low profile sub but I really like that storage for my small tool bag and my snatch strap so I may leave that the way it is

• Like 1

I put this low profile one in the rear cubby, works great. I have enough room beside it for a tire repair kit and some little bits.

Rockville RW10CA 10" 800 Watt... https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B019Z3R582?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

I know you said you’d prefer not to go this route but here’s a photo for reference if anyone else is interested.

I removed the plastic liner and left the lid on top of the sub for protection

f320ab3b636347f2a5493f0f2fda5c29.jpg

• Like 4

I know you said you’d prefer not to go this route but here’s a photo for reference if anyone else is interested.

I removed the plastic liner and left the lid on top of the sub for protection

f320ab3b636347f2a5493f0f2fda5c29.jpg

Man your making me second think using that location lol. Easy to get to and if something goes wrong I won’t be a hassle to mess with it

On 2/21/2019 at 7:05 PM, DirtyRhino said:

Man your making me second think using that location lol. Easy to get to and if something goes wrong I won’t be a hassle to mess with it

Yeah I like that I didn't give up any trunk space and that its hidden from potential thieves. 

Only downside really is that you have to use a low profile sub so you compromise on the amount of bass. But for me it's great, just wanted a little extra thump in the trunk ?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...