sound diagnosis

Steve_RI

What the heck is that rubber tube (about a 1/2 inch or so) that runs behind the center console.  You can grab it if you remove the ashtray.  The dam thing was whistling and driving me nuts.  I didn't know what the heck it was until I took everything apart and squeezed that tube and it stopped.  Sounds like a little fan in there?

It is the interrior temp sensor tube. it has a little fan in there that draws air from the cabin so it can get a reading. it is used when you put you ac or heater in the auto position.  it will cycle your fan up or down as the temp you set is reached.

• Like 1

^Yup, what he said. Temp sensor for the auto aircon. The little grille on the HVAC panel (diagonal slots next to the A/C button) is where it draws air from, there's actually a suggestion in the service manual to check its operation by blowing cigarette smoke at that grate and seeing if it gets sucked in. IIRC the little fan in there runs whenever the truck is powered up, not just with the hvac in auto mode.

It shouldn't be whistling, though. Sounds like the little fan in there might be on its way out, or there's something restricting the tube. Mine makes a slight ticking sound as the fan runs and that's it.

I'm still not entirely sure what the point of the auto HVAC is, honestly. I preferred the simplicity of the manual HVAC in my '95.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...