Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Astrorami

R50 tire carrier handle and latch

Recommended Posts

 

Hey guys,

 

I am in need of the latch and cable/handle for the r50 carrier. I will pay reasonably for this part depending on condition. Text me anytime if you have one on hand or find one at a junkyard.

 

18c4d75b6951e0fac3588ad8670a24d2.jpg

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

 

Edited by mjotrainbrain
Remove phone #
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We only paid $18 for an entire assembly recently both here in Seattle & in Portland. Our PNW group can keep an eye out for you though I would think AZ & Southern CA are ideal places to find it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RainGoat said:

We only paid $18 for an entire assembly recently both here in Seattle & in Portland. Our PNW group can keep an eye out for you though I would think AZ & Southern CA are ideal places to find it.

I’m heading to a junkyard today to see what I can get for him. I’ve got 2-3 old style carriers and the new one should still be out there too.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have gotten all parts needed so this thread can be closed. Thanks PathyDude17!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What did you end up paying for it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

It's amazing to find this post with a picture of exactly the same thing I need.  My latch quit working, When I pull the cable the tire carrier sometimes clicks but does not unlatch.  It seems that the spring inside the latch broke because I was able to wrestle with the carrier and get it to release, and the casing is all riveted together so I am not sure I could disassemble and repair it.  I did not feel confident I could get it to open again so I removed the whole tire carrier assembly and started looking online to find a replacement and found this forum.

 

If anyone can help me source the same thing that the original poster outlined in the picture above please let me know.  Then I can reinstall my tire carrier.

 

Thanks!

 

EmGee

Edited by EmGee63

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, EmGee63 said:

It's amazing to find this post with a picture of exactly the same thing I need.  My latch quit working, When I pull the cable the tire carrier sometimes clicks but does not unlatch.  It seems that the spring inside the latch broke because I was able to wrestle with the carrier and get it to release, and the casing is all riveted together so I am not sure I could disassemble and repair it.  I did not feel confident I could get it to open again so I removed the whole tire carrier assembly and started looking online to find a replacement and found this forum.

 

If anyone can help me source the same thing that the original poster outlined in the picture above please let me know.  Then I can reinstall my tire carrier.

 

Thanks!

 

EmGee

I have one more tire carrier assembly at my local JY with one of those

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

PathyDude17,

 

That's incredible. What do I need to do to get that thing headed my way?  

 

EmGee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I have one more tire carrier assembly at my local JY with one of those

Wait, why is there still a carrier at the JY? $20, take that baby home, there’s someone out there who will love it. If not around you, possibly Micah or he can shuttle it back here to the NW where we can store it until it finds a home. (In all seriousness, even if you just go back for the release only, grab the other hardware like the stuff below the hatch where it latches & it’s sensor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, RainGoat said:


Wait, why is there still a carrier at the JY? $20, take that baby home, there’s someone out there who will love it. If not around you, possibly Micah or he can shuttle it back here to the NW where we can store it until it finds a home. (In all seriousness, even if you just go back for the release only, grab the other hardware like the stuff below the hatch where it latches & it’s sensor.

Ok. Currently, there’s one that’s missing a release lever (Astrorami needed it), and there’s an entire tire carrier assembly. I’m wondering if a WD21 lever can be retrofitted? I could pick them up and store them in my garage, they’re about $30 per assembly, and with the license plate relocation they total closer to $45. I suppose I could pick them up and leave them in my garage. I don’t want to be out $90 for no good reason though.

Edited by PathyDude17

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The business end of the R50 latch looks very different from the WD21 latch--or were you thinking of grafting on the entire WD21 latch setup? I can get you measurements off mine if you want.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:

The business end of the R50 latch looks very different from the WD21 latch--or were you thinking of grafting on the entire WD21 latch setup? I can get you measurements off mine if you want.

 

Won’t be necessary until I ship this latch grab out AND someone wants a tire carrier from me. If that happens, then ya it’s possible a WD21 latch and handle retrofit is in order. There’s several of those carriers nearby too

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I think the supply of WD21 carriers outstrips the need & the plate relocators don’t fit the facelifted R50s. If storage space is limited then it’s tough to justify the big carriers.@MicahFelker are you interested?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RainGoat said:

Yeah, I think the supply of WD21 carriers outstrips the need & the plate relocators don’t fit the facelifted R50s. If storage space is limited then it’s tough to justify the big carriers.@MicahFelker are you interested?

They’re unlikely to disappear (I think), and if someone wants me to ship one out then great, but for now I’m gonna let them sit there. @RainGoat are you saying there’s no way of getting a latch retrofit to work on the tire carrier? I haven’t looked at the recieving plate very closely on a WD21.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[mention=40800]RainGoat[/mention] are you saying there’s no way of getting a latch retrofit to work on the tire carrier? I haven’t looked at the recieving plate very closely on a WD21.

That wasn’t me

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, RainGoat said:


That wasn’t me

Ya I think I initially misunderstood you

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/4/2019 at 4:25 PM, RainGoat said:

Yeah, I think the supply of WD21 carriers outstrips the need & the plate relocators don’t fit the facelifted R50s. If storage space is limited then it’s tough to justify the big carriers.@MicahFelker are you interested?

 

Eh, not really. If I wanted a carrier I'd build one onto my bumper, but honestly I like how the rear end of mine looks without anything blocking it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The cable and lock cover are still available online if anyone is interested. Unfortunately the lock is NLA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The cable and lock cover are still available online if anyone is interested. Unfortunately the lock is NLA.

By lock, do you mean the latch at the end of the cable? I don’t suppose you have that link?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@PathyDude17 Thanks so much for getting me that latch assembly!  I took the boot off the pull handle and used everyone's wondertool (WD 40), applying a dose into the boot and the cable works like new.  Tire carrier is reinstalled and all is well.  I just need to find the little clips that hold the trim on around the hinges.  Haven't really looked for them yet but I'm sure I can find them somewhere.

 

Again, thanks for all your help!

 

MG

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

Welcome to NPORA Forums

 

Please REGISTER to gain full access to the forum.

Make sure you read the Forum Guidelines and don't forget to post a new intro in the New People Start Here! section, to say hi too everyone.

 

-NPORA

×
×
  • Create New...