Ready for modification - 1998 LE

redbearder

After a few months and about $800 in parts, I'm road worthy and after the sale of my XJ Cherokee, this is now my DD/winter car.

Pic

So This is my 1998 LE with luxury package. I'm at relatively mechanically apt and after putting most of a new front end into this, I'm ready for modification. I'm wondering what I can do to it to keep it a reliable winter driver and have fun taking it camping on some easy off-road terrain. What are good OEM swaps that are upgrades? I was a huge OEM upgrade nerd when I had a 1992 Sentra SE-R that I built for auto-cross, swapping in the best parts of every trim and a few from other generations of B-chassis.

Right now I'm cataloging the stock at local scrap yards and keeping an eye out for an 04/03 roof rack, a set of replacement fog lights, and another factory Bose radio (do all of them have tape errors?). I haven't found a black early R50 to swap out fenders, unfortunately. I may just ebay a pair and leave them flat or have a friend spray them with gloss. I've gotten the front strut warranty work done, and now I'm looking to schedule a seat belt replacement also under warranty.

A couple upgrade questions:

Cup holders in this are incredibly small, it seems, if I swap out a center console for like an 04, will the be larger?

Is there a good headlight swap for something brighter? Should I look at foreign market vehicles for projectors?

Edited by redbearder

:welcome:

There are a couple of recent threads on the oem projectors, including wiring info. You might try opening up your radio to see if the tape error is just a buggered belt or something. I had a couple of '03 radios apart trying to make one good one for my dad's truck and it wasn't that complicated inside from what I remember. (I still have a faceplate for one of those sitting around, but not the guts.) Good luck with the rust!

As fast as the cupholders, I know some had a really big cup holder (fits a 1L Nalgene) up by the 4WD switch if it had an electronic transfer case.  If you have a standard 4wd lever you may be out of luck for that though.