Cleaned MAF sensor tripped code

JackFletcher

Just cleaned my maf sensor and throttle body this morning thought it would be a little thing to do. I didn’t have any problems, I just knew it had never been cleaned before. Just got done and I’ve got a “service engine soon” light on and the truck goes about 15mph without putting my foot on the gas lol. Is this just the computer recalibrating or something else? Anyone know what to do?

Update: Tripped code P0507
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The common causes are vacuum leak or IACV malfunction. Though I guess if your MAF was really dirty and now it's clean it could cause greatly changed signal.

I'd look over everything I removed or touched very carefully to see if I didn't tighten something or broke something, then do the idle speed relearn procedure.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

The common causes are vacuum leak or IACV malfunction. Though I guess if your MAF was really dirty and now it's clean it could cause greatly changed signal.

I'd look over everything I removed or touched very carefully to see if I didn't tighten something or broke something, then do the idle speed relearn procedure.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I appreciate everyone’s responses I am narrowing it down to the throttle body. I removed it and sprayed it with throttle body cleaner and wiped it down. The thing was filthy the previous owner never touched it. I was thinking that maybe the computer is confused by the new amount of air flow entering since I cleaned it. It’s idling pretty bad. I tried the idle speed relearn on YouTube but it didn’t work, is there a specific process you have to do? Thanks

You have to do these in order first to last. Kind of a pain in the ass 
https://forums.nicoclub.com/how-to-ecu-relearning-procedures-t445702.html

I tried this procedure but it didn’t work, maybe I messed up the timing, it really is a pain lol. I will try again in the morning thank you!

I haven't messed with VQs but from what I've read, they can be real drama queens about having the TB cleaned. Not that it's damaged, but it's drive by wire, and the computer expects a certain angle to equal a certain air flow rate. It learns if that changes slowly (as it gets dirty), but if it changes suddenly, it assumes something is wrong and doesn't want to relearn. I remember doing some kind of reset on my dad's '03 (which involved doing a dance with pedals and the ignition switch and probably something else, it was a while ago) to try and resolve a different issue. Maybe doing that first would make it forget that it's upset, and then it would do the relearn procedure properly?

If you haven't yet you can get the factory service manuals here. If you scroll past all the hand-holding for how to use the Consult system, there should be some actual diagnostics and instructions for how to do stuff without Consult in there somewhere. Good luck!

• Like 1

If you don’t mind spending a little money you can get a Bluetooth obd dongle for like 7 bucks and the pro gauge app for 7 or 8 and use that to do it 

Is that similar to the torque pro app and what kind of luck have you gotten out of it. I’m strongly considering getting something like this to monitor things like cat converter voltage and things alike but it’s difficult to find a straight forward answer on what works or what does what. Also is it a bad idea to take the whole throttle body off to clean it instead of just taking off the intake hose and spraying in there?

Update: I did the relearn process and after a few painful attempts I was able to get it to work. The vehicle has returned to normal RPM and I cleared the codes. Thanks to all for the advice I had never heard of any sort of process of resetting like this!

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, cham said:

Is that similar to the torque pro app and what kind of luck have you gotten out of it. I’m strongly considering getting something like this to monitor things like cat converter voltage and things alike but it’s difficult to find a straight forward answer on what works or what does what. Also is it a bad idea to take the whole throttle body off to clean it instead of just taking off the intake hose and spraying in there?

It is similar. It has pretty much all the same gauges other than the ability to monitor mpg. But you can adjust idle with it, adjust timing + or - two degrees, do the self learn, and the idle volume relearn with it as well as read and delete codes. Totally worth it 

And if you’re gonna take off the throttle body to clean it(which is a good idea in my opinion) get a new throttle body gasket as well as cleaning and a new gasket for the iacv valve. And you can monitor lots of stuff on r50’s with a Bluetooth dongle. O2 sensor voltage, maf voltage, cat efficiency, all kinds of things 

• Like 1

Thats something I definitely need to get on board with thanks for the advice. Ill be scouring amazon for the best bang for buck bluetooth obd2 scanner

Go with this one. Cheap on amazon, free shipping with prime. And links up great. Use the torque pro or car gauge pro app with it. If you go with the car gauge app you can do the self learn and idle volume learn with it as well as adjusting base timing by plus or minus two degrees

https://www.amazon.com/EDIAG-Diagnostic-Scanner-Adapter-Android/dp/B06Y5YFQ63/ref=mp_s_a_1_16?crid=U1PZKWTGF6Z2&keywords=elm327+bluetooth+obd2&qid=1550515792&s=gateway&sprefix=elm32&sr=8-16

Edited by Sjackson2
  • Like 1