1993 pathfinder parts swap

Jmoor85

Well, haven’t posted in a while. Didn’t have a need to. Until some lady turned left in front of be causing me to Tbone her Tahoe. Thankfully there was actually two different officers behind her who were going home and witnessed the whole thing. So now I have smashed passenger front. The doors shut fine and I drove it the 1 mile home. Now I’m looking for a parts car to donate to help me rebuild it. Ideally I’ll look for the dark grey hood and fender so I don’t have to pay for painting. I didn’t get much for it from insurance. It was a total loss but it was my gramps and it what I have left to remember him by so it is worth it to me. I don’t think the frame is bent but I will need a hood, bumper, grill, pass fender, radiator, core support and all the things like lights that broke up front. I’m thinking a donor car would be best. Unfortunately I sold the two I had last year because the wife said they were ugly just sitting there. Now I need one again. Go figure. I try to post the picture of my pathfinder. But what years can I swap from for the main stuff like core support, radiator, fender and hood? 

Yikes! That's a pretty good crunch.

I think any year fender should bolt up, but I remember the mounting points for the fender flares being different--a flare off a '93 at the wreckers didn't fit my '95, but the flares from my '95 fit my current '93, so I assume some time in '93 was the cutoff. It was a rear one I couldn't make swap, though, so the front might not be included in that. (It was also a long time ago, so I might've missed something obvious at the time.) The rest of the fender should be the same on any Pathy or 4x4 Hardbody (2WD Hardbody fenders are flatter). Hood should be the same. Bumper's different on early vs late Pathfinders, but that's pretty easy to tell just looking at it. Grilles vary but it's just visual unless you go for a Hardbody grille with the sealed-beam lights (some guys do swap that out to get more headlight options--you need the buckets too if you do that). I'd be surprised if the core support changed. If in doubt, look up the part # for a '95 and for an '87 and see if you get the same number. When I tweaked my support a while ago I was able to straighten it with a strap, though the deer was much nicer to mine than the Tahoe was to yours. I'd still be tempted to beat it flat and clean it up here and there if necessary rather than replace the entire support unless it's absolutely roached. Hopefully it doesn't look as bad once you get the panels off.

Nico's service manual archive has a body repair manual. It's for a '90 but the measurements, weld locations, etc might come in handy for getting your straightened out. It's got more than you ever wanted to know about where the welds are, what kind of plastic things are, what kind of steel they used, what kind of seams, and how the paint was layered, and more importantly they've got measurements to check against.

Wow. Well thank you for all that. I guess I should broaden my scope for a donor. I was looking 93-95 only. I am also hoping the core is not too bad but until I start digging I won’t know. The radiator is broken and antifreeze came running out. The fan also hit it. The passenger wheel is a little off. It’s pointed in a weird direction and I can’t really tell what moves to cause it. I’ll see if I can post that picture too. I don’t want to start digging into it until I have a donor otherwise I may not remember where everything goes. I’ll take a look at the manual also. That’s a lot of information I wish I had when restoring my Trans Am. 

• 1 year later...

Jmor85 - Are you still looking for a parts car? I've got a green '95 that I'm parting out. You're welcome to have it for cheap after I'm done grabbing the things that I need off from it. Let me know if you're interested and I can give you more details.