Fair price for 03 QX4?

jrayr90

Hey guys, sweet community you've all got here! I've been on CL for the past few months searching for an R50, finally found one with a great maintenance record and even the color/year I was looking for.

Here it is: https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/d/walnut-creek-2003-infiniti-qx4/6807167783.html

2003 4x4

$5000

173k miles

"good" condition

Unfortunately though the price seems a liiiitle steep to me. I went to go see it in person and it drives great, but has a few cosmetic dings and he's got it priced as if it's immaculate.

List price is 5k and he said he's firm on it. What do you guys think? I haven't made an offer yet, and his posting has only been up for a week. I'm thinking he might be more willing to come down on the price as time goes by.

Any input appreciated, thanks!

Jared

Edited by jrayr90

Even for a QX4, that price is way too high for a 2003. Could snag an R50 Pathfinder for $2000 or less for the most part. The fair market value is around $2000-$4,700, so $5000 is really kinda pushing it.

https://www.kbb.com/infiniti/qx/2003/qx4-sport-utility-4d/?vehicleid=2569&intent=buy-used&category=suv&mileage=160535&pricetype=retail&condition=good

Fantastic vehicle, of course, but at over 170,000 miles, I wouldn’t pay more for it than you would to rebuild or replace the transmission/engine... which is around $2000-$3000.

Given that you might not know how well it’s been taken care of, and that the automatic transmissions in the R50 or QX4 can go bad fast if not taken care of, I’d keep that in mind with the price.

Hopefully others chime in, don’t just take my opinion or $0.02... unless it’s reasonable enough to you. If he’s stern on the price, give him your best offer, and let him sit on that. If he gets no better offer, he might hand it over.

10 minutes ago, QuasarDecimari said:

Even for a QX4, that price is way too high for a 2003. Could snag an R50 Pathfinder for $2000 or less for the most part. The fair market value is around $2000-$4,700, so $5000 is really kinda pushing it.

https://www.kbb.com/infiniti/qx/2003/qx4-sport-utility-4d/?vehicleid=2569&intent=buy-used&category=suv&mileage=160535&pricetype=retail&condition=good

Fantastic vehicle, of course, but at over 170,000 miles, I wouldn’t pay more for it than you would to rebuild or replace the transmission/engine... which is around $2000-$3000.

Given that you might not know how well it’s been taken care of, and that the automatic transmissions in the R50 or QX4 can go bad fast if not taken care of, I’d keep that in mind with the price.

Hopefully others chime in, don’t just take my opinion or $0.02... unless it’s reasonable enough to you. If he’s stern on the price, give him your best offer, and let him sit on that. If he gets no better offer, he might hand it over.

Thanks for your input! My thoughts exactly. Given the mileage I'd say the most I'm comfortable with is around $4200

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, QuasarDecimari said:

I agree.  Although that QX4 is gorgeous with its maintenance records and cosmetics, I (personally) wouldn't justify the $5,000 for it -especially the age and mileage.  I suggest negotiating a fair price because there's really nothing to lose.  If you have year heart set on it, try going for the fair market value.  If you're on a budget and just want a Pathfinder/QX4, it doesn't hurt to search more!  Best wishes

• Like 1

$3-6K for a ‘00-04 Pathy in Seattle with most $3-4K. Maintenance & condition are everything. It sounds like both of those are excellent in this case. For San Fran, it’s probably a little high but I’m sure he could get $4K for it & it’s not unthinkable he could get $5K though the miles seem a little high for that. Good ones here could be $5Kish too. BTW, make sure you do the Power Valve Fix if he hasn’t already. If it was a CA sold car originally, it would have qualified for the CA class action suit so there is a fair chance it was done - but check.

As everyone else has said, 4K would be better. They sell around here for 3-4 with that mileage or less. It’s a nice rig, but 5 is pushing it. If that’s all I could find I’d buck up a few thousand dollars and get a 4runner at that mileage.....

Edited by PathyDude17

Just now, PathyDude17 said:

wow, 110k miles ?.  Less than the 2013 I'm currently driving lol.

I see you had T4R before your R50. What are your own personal feelings on the comparison? I dismissed the idea of getting one just cause of the price point

Pathfinder: Clean, Powerful, comfortable. Definitely an easier and smoother ride. It’s more fun to drive and has a nicer interior. It doesn’t look as masculine as the  4runner, which is really my only complaint. 4runners last forever, and pathfinders are similarly reliable. 4runner is body on frame, which accounts for the tougher ride (I think). 4runner has a larger aftermarket,  but that may or may not be important to you. I replaced mine because it was 2WD, and I really would’ve been happy to end up with either, although I admit that getting my pathfinder for half the price of a 4runner was awesome, as it allowed me to customize my car more to the way I liked it. Either I was gonna end up with a stock 7k 4runner, or I got lucky and got mine for 3.5k with a branded title (all that was damaged was front bumper cover). So, I don’t know that you can go wrong with either one as long as they’ve been taken care of. Though I haven’t owned my pathfinder long enough to equate the drivetrain reliability with that of my 4runners, though I’m pretty confident it’ll turn out similarly 

Edited by PathyDude17

I should also mention that this is my family’s 3rd pathfinder. We’ve had a pre facelift and an 03 LE, both R50’s. None of them ever gave us any engine trouble, though they both were in the family for 2 years or less (my dad has twice tried to live without a pickup. It hasn’t worked)

Looks grimy. Like everyone has mentioned, the price is way too high. I’d hold off. I always look closely at the photos when searching for a used vehicle. For example this guy had his switch set to auto. You wouldn’t normally need to set it to auto living in SF. Perhaps he didn’t know much about the car?

a31884c15aa898ddd0b8dbafd7bfbd92.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

24 minutes ago, micahfelker said:

That Q is alright. The '97 LE is 2WD, but maybe thats all you need

Edited by PathyDude17

29 minutes ago, PathyDude17 said:

Ah shoot, you're right. Scratch that one then lol. I honestly don't know why anyone would buy (or make) a 2wd suv. I don't really see the point to them. Less capable than a fwd car with good snow tires if you ask me

10 minutes ago, micahfelker said:

Ah shoot, you're right. Scratch that one then lol. I honestly don't know why anyone would buy (or make) a 2wd suv. I don't really see the point to them. Less capable than a fwd car with good snow tires if you ask me

@my 2WD 4runner. Kinda defeats the name. One of my teamates called it a 2runner

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, PathyDude17 said:

Just asking what makes thee QX4 'alright'?  Is it the Salvage title?  Also my 2 cents if anyone is looking for a Pathfinder is to look under for rust and corrosion.  Check engine and transmission records too if you can.

12 minutes ago, A.Sans said:

Just asking what makes thee QX4 'alright'?  Is it the Salvage title?  Also my 2 cents if anyone is looking for a Pathfinder is to look under for rust and corrosion.  Check engine and transmission records too if you can.

Look at the paint chipping on the front fender, hazy tail lights. I'd be interested to see how the paint and wheels do or don't shine in the sunlight. Also looks like front passenger seat has a hole in it

Edited by PathyDude17

I always look closely at the photos when searching for a used vehicle. For example this guy had his switch set to auto. You wouldn’t normally need to set it to auto living in SF. Perhaps he didn’t know much about the car?

Now THAT’s attention to detail

5 hours ago, jrayr90 said:

Hey guys, sweet community you've all got here! I've been on CL for the past few months searching for an R50, finally found one with a great maintenance record and even the color/year I was looking for.

Here it is: https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/d/walnut-creek-2003-infiniti-qx4/6807167783.html

2003 4x4

$5000

173k miles

"good" condition

Unfortunately though the price seems a liiiitle steep to me. I went to go see it in person and it drives great, but has a few cosmetic dings and he's got it priced as if it's immaculate.

List price is 5k and he said he's firm on it. What do you guys think? I haven't made an offer yet, and his posting has only been up for a week. I'm thinking he might be more willing to come down on the price as time goes by.

Any input appreciated, thanks!

Jared

Seems nice, but not $5K nice, and not excellent condition.  It was a luxury vehicle, and Infiniti is a luxury brand, but today it's just another Pathfinder.  I paid $5K for my 04 SE in 2012 with 145K, OME lift kit, sliders, skids, and clean exterior and leather interior (untorn seats, too), no issues...from a dealer.  That truck, private sale, for that price...I couldn't do it.  You could get all those features in a Pathfinder LE for less, too.  What I see/think:

• If having cruise control matters to you, I'd be cautious about that one.  The Intelligent Cruise Control system was a step above the normal cruise control system.  I'm not even sure it was offered in Pathfinders, only QX4s.  Finding any replacement parts might be difficult.  However, I've looked at two VIN-specific parts diagrams and neither seem to indicate the sensor referenced in an 03 QX4 Owner's Manual.  Hard to tell if there's a sensor present on the front bumper in the pics.  The control module for that VIN also cross-ref'd to the module in a normal cruise control system.  Perhaps this one doesn't have the ICC system.  Perhaps the parts show up in another section I didn't see.  Even then, the parts are simple, abundant (except maybe the ICC-specific stuff?), cheap, and easy to replace...gotta wonder why it hasn't been repaired.
  • A Navigation system with probably 16+ year old maps is no longer a selling point...not even sure if you could update the maps if you wanted to.  The Nav unit also has the climate controls integrated into it so replacing it is not a viable option (it's been done, and I wouldn't recommend it).  Otherwise, it just has a single-DIN radio that would be replaceable.
  • Missing spoiler.
  • That driver's seat.
  • High miles for price.

Wow guys, thank you all for all the detailed replies!

Glad I posted here and was able to get everybody's opinion. I thought 5 was too steep from the get go and you guys have confirmed it for me.

@Micah thanks for linking those other classifieds!

6 minutes ago, hawairish said:

Seems nice, but not $5K nice, and not excellent condition.  It was a luxury vehicle, and Infiniti is a luxury brand, but today it's just another Pathfinder.  I paid $5K for my 04 SE in 2012 with 145K, OME lift kit, sliders, skids, and clean exterior and leather interior (untorn seats, too), no issues...from a dealer.  That truck, private sale, for that price...I couldn't do it.  You could get all those features in a Pathfinder LE for less, too.  What I see/think:

• If having cruise control matters to you, I'd be cautious about that one.  The Intelligent Cruise Control system was a step above the normal cruise control system.  I'm not even sure it was offered in Pathfinders, only QX4s.  Finding any replacement parts might be difficult.  However, I've looked at two VIN-specific parts diagrams and neither seem to indicate the sensor referenced in an 03 QX4 Owner's Manual.  Hard to tell if there's a sensor present on the front bumper in the pics.  The control module for that VIN also cross-ref'd to the module in a normal cruise control system.  Perhaps this one doesn't have the ICC system.  Perhaps the parts show up in another section I didn't see.  Even then, the parts are simple, abundant (except maybe the ICC-specific stuff?), cheap, and easy to replace...gotta wonder why it hasn't been repaired.
  • A Navigation system with probably 16+ year old maps is no longer a selling point...not even sure if you could update the maps if you wanted to.  The Nav unit also has the climate controls integrated into it so replacing it is not a viable option (it's been done, and I wouldn't recommend it).  Otherwise, it just has a single-DIN radio that would be replaceable.
  • Missing spoiler.
  • That driver's seat.
  • High miles for price.

Hawairish! thanks for all the help, esp looking into the cruise control issue. I was actually checking out a few of your threads earlier this morning. Killer deal you got on your pathfinder!

For now I'm gonna keep my eyes peeled on CL and contemplate throwing this guy a $4k offer in the next couple days. Luckily I'm not in a huge rush, so I can binge the build threads and bide my time getting ideas.

Thanks again guys! I'll keep you all updated ?

• Like 2