Possible Belt Issue With R50

joshualaw205

So recently my ‘99.5 Pathy has been slipping when it’s in gear. It doesn’t feel like transmission problem (I sure hope not), so I think it’s the timing belt. Does anybody have any ideas on this? And if it is the belt, maybe the timing needs to be adjusted, so if need to know the correct timing degree. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A slipping timing belt would not cause something that feels like driveline slip (AFAIK; never experienced timing belt slip myself).  The VG33 is an interference engine anyways, so if the timing belt is slipping, unless you're really lucky, the motor would be junk and you'd know.

Not really sure what to suggest other than transmission, sorry.  There's been a fair amount of conversation here lately about tranny slip, I can try to dig up some of those so you can have some reading to do on the subject.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Mrelcocko said:

Great answer my man. I'm having a vibration when shifting into overdrive MJ do you know what might be causing that?

Mr Cox 96R50-97JR50

Not sure on Pathfinders, but I know on 4Runners that's a sign of the torque converter dying...not sure if something else could be a factor.

• Like 1

It's doing it on my 97 Quey. I know the QX4 shares the drivetrain that the skyline has but I really don't know anything about it and how it works I guess I need to get underneath it and look to see if everything is tight

Mr Cox 96R50-97JR50

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mrelcocko said:

It's doing it on my 97 Quey. I know the QX4 shares the drivetrain that the skyline has but I really don't know anything about it and how it works I guess I need to get underneath it and look to see if everything is tight

Mr Cox 96R50-97JR50

From what I understand the drivetrain similarities are just in the transfer case, as far as how the AUTO mode operates.  The overdrive is going to be totally contained in the transmission which (I believe) is roughly the same in Pathfinders all the way back to '88.  I'm not an expert on Nissan drivetrains by any means though.  Are you sure the vibration is only in overdrive?

• Like 2

A slipping timing belt would not cause something that feels like driveline slip (AFAIK; never experienced timing belt slip myself).  The VG33 is an interference engine anyways, so if the timing belt is slipping, unless you're really lucky, the motor would be junk and you'd know.

Not really sure what to suggest other than transmission, sorry.  There's been a fair amount of conversation here lately about tranny slip, I can try to dig up some of those so you can have some reading to do on the subject.

Thanks man. Yeah, deep down inside I figured it was the tranny. Just didn’t want to think about a rebuild right now. Thanks for the link, I’ll look into it ASAP. Luckily, it’s still very drivable. Just have to slip it into neutral whenever I come to a stop (it’s an automatic, in case that wasn’t clear already). The problems are minor, so hopefully I can drive on this tranny for a little while longer. Thanks again.

• Like 1

It wouldn't be a timing belt issue on that particular engine because the timing is extremely close and very unforgiving. Just one tooth off and it will barely stay running if it even starts. Two tooth off and you can pull the heads because it crashed the valves.

I don't really know a whole a lot about automatic transmissions, but mine had a wire that had come loose in a plug on the side of the transmission and that thing was doing all kinds of crazy stuff until I got that wire fixed.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
It wouldn't be a timing belt issue on that particular engine because the timing is extremely close and very unforgiving. Just one tooth off and it will barely stay running if it even starts. Two tooth off and you can pull the heads because it crashed the valves.  

I don't really know a whole a lot about automatic transmissions, but mine had a wire that had come loose in a plug on the side of the transmission and that thing was doing all kinds of crazy stuff until I got that wire fixed.

Mine was one tooth off when I got it and as it barely staying running. I guess depends on which way the tooth was off. Mine was one tooth off between the right sprocket to the left and it started everytime. It would miss and the CEL would flash pouring raw gas into the catalytic converter'but it started everytime. When the light flashes it's time to park it utill the problem is fixed

Mr Cox 96R50-97JR50

• Like 2

As far as one tooth off and it barely staying running. I guess depends on which way the tooth was off. Mine was one tooth off between the right sprocket to the left and it started everytime. It would miss and the CEL would flash pouring raw gas into the catalytic converter'but it started everytime.

Mr Cox 96R50-97JR50

Yeah, that was my issue as well.

::UPDATE::

After closer inspection (and a trip to the dealer ), the issue was resolved. It was in fact a timing issue, but it was only off by one tooth. Although the engine would start every time, it would always be thrown out of time as soon as I hit idle. I feel SO lucky that not only was it only one tooth in the opposite direction, but also that it wasn’t a transmission issue (although the tranny is quite obviously giving out a little). Anyway, thanks for all your help, it really saved me a lot of time and money!

• Like 1

After closer inspection (and a trip to the dealer ), the issue was resolved. It was in fact a timing issue, but it was only off by one tooth. Although the engine would start every time, it would always be thrown out of time as soon as I hit idle. I feel SO lucky that not only was it only one tooth in the opposite direction, but also that it wasn’t a transmission issue (although the tranny is quite obviously giving out a little). Anyway, thanks for all your help, it really saved me a lot of time and money!

Great news man! I know the feeling. The guy I bought my Quey from sad it had a miss and he couldn't figure it out it. It took me forever to find out what the problem was I replaced almost everything on the engine that I could think of and then decided to ask him when he had the timing belt changed he told me some Euro shop done it for him about 70k back. Decided to change it and low behold found my problem..

Mr Cox 96R50-97JR50

• Like 1

4 hours ago, joshualaw205 said:

After closer inspection (and a trip to the dealer emoji2961.png), the issue was resolved. It was in fact a timing issue, but it was only off by one tooth. Although the engine would start every time, it would always be thrown out of time as soon as I hit idle. I feel SO lucky that not only was it only one tooth in the opposite direction, but also that it wasn’t a transmission issue (although the tranny is quite obviously giving out a little). Anyway, thanks for all your help, it really saved me a lot of time and money!

Scary stuff! Thanks for the update, hope everything else is fine.