Bilstein 33-185552

Bizzle

Hi!

I ordered KYB KG-4163 rear shocks for my lifted 1997 Pathfinder XE. When they were installed they had to be installed upside down, because on the shocks the top mount eyelet holes are 12mm and the bottoms are 16mm. The pre-facelift R50's (like mine a '97) are 16mm top and 12mm bottom... so the KYB's I ordered had to be installed upside down (They'd be perfect for post facelift R50's). 

After doing research I decided to order new shocks, because if I stick with the upside down KYB's they will fill with mud and fail. 

I am wondering if the famous Bilstein 33-185552's will fit my '97 correctly or am I faced with the same problem as the KYB's?

Thanks!

6 hours ago, Bizzle said:

Hi!

I ordered KYB KG-4163 rear shocks for my lifted 1997 Pathfinder XE. When they were installed they had to be installed upside down, because on the shocks the top mount eyelet holes are 12mm and the bottoms are 16mm. The pre-facelift R50's (like mine a '97) are 16mm top and 12mm bottom... so the KYB's I ordered had to be installed upside down (They'd be perfect for post facelift R50's). 

After doing research I decided to order new shocks, because if I stick with the upside down KYB's they will fill with mud and fail. 

I am wondering if the famous Bilstein 33-185552's will fit my '97 correctly or am I faced with the same problem as the KYB's?

Thanks!

They will fit but again need to be mounted upside down. 

However, this is entirely doable. This is because firstly, unlike the KYB, the Bilstein is a monotube shock and will work inverted, instead of having no damping and eventually failing like the KYB will.

Secondly, the Bilstein has no steel shaft cover, so will not fill with water/mud. I would still recommend using a rubber cover to avoid grit damaging the seals.

Lastly, I actually recommend mounting them upside down on the pre-facelift anyway, as some longer shocks will hit the panhard rod and become damaged if installed with the body down. The altered mounts on the facelift solve this problem by moving the bottom of the shock further out.

Edited by KiwiTerrano
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, KiwiTerrano said:

They will fit but again need to be mounted upside down. 

However, this is entirely doable. This is because firstly, unlike the KYB, the Bilstein is a monotube shock and will work inverted, instead of having no damping and eventually failing like the KYB will.

Secondly, the Bilstein has no steel shaft cover, so will not fill with water/mud. I would still recommend using a rubber cover to avoid grit damaging the seals.

Lastly, I actually recommend mounting them upside down on the pre-facelift anyway, as some longer shocks will hit the panhard rod and become damaged if installed with the body down. The altered mounts on the facelift solve this problem by moving the bottom of the shock further out.

Thanks!

When you say mounted "upside down" do you mean the plastic shock cover side on the upper mount or the metal body side on the upper mount.

Cheers!

10 hours ago, Bizzle said:

Thanks!

When you say mounted "upside down" do you mean the plastic shock cover side on the upper mount or the metal body side on the upper mount.

Cheers!

It's generally accepted that the correct way to mount a shock is with the body down -- ergo, upside-down is with the body at the top. Only do this with monotubes.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

When mounting these bilsteins, did you guys find sleeves to go in the 16mm side? Or did you just slide the shock onto the mount with just the rubber bushing? The sleeve kit that came with mine is too small to fit the 16mm mount.

• 2 years later...