Rear end wiggle

Atomicrider

I’ve got a ‘94 XE that I’ve had for a couple of years that I have been getting road worthy again. It was pretty scary to drive down the highway so I just replaced all bushings in the front with urethane ones (uca and lca and sway bar) replaced CV joints, all ball joints, steering damper, and Rancho 9000 on all four corners. Had the alignment done and things are much better. But my back end seems to wiggle back and forth going over bumps. I have lifted the truck 2” with some blocks under the springs and have relocated the panhard bar the proper 2” as well.

Any thoughts? Do I need to replace all of the bushings in the rear as well?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since the build is a 4-bar linkage, there are a lot of bushings that need to be replaced out back. I suspect that the lower links need both sets of bushings replaced (since no one seems to do those) and maybe the upper links as well. Really the only way to know what is at fault is to either replace everything with a bushing in it or take it to a mechanic and have them do it. Do NOT overlook the possibility of the frame being rotten though... rust through is a real problem with the Pathfinders (areas of concern are from the wheel wells to the bumper on both sides). If you can feel the back moving I suspect that either the DeDion tube (under the frame just over the rear axle) is rotted out and letting the frame sway a bit on impact or the frame itself is rusted to death.

NOT to scare you, but you'll want to take a look at that ASAP and get it fixed. I "reinforced" my frame with some 1/8" cold-rolled steel plate (2" wide) from the front of the wheel wells to the bumper, on all four sides of the frame, both left and right sides of the truck.... not that that was _legal_ here but it was that or go back to walking.

Thanks for the heads up on the rust potential and the tip on frame reinforcement. Everything seems pretty good in the rust department, but I’ll look it over.
I’ll see if I can find rear link bushings and start changing those out next month.

That lower control arm is a fun one, huh?  I had to do it  twice on my 89 because the first time it squeaked so bad I couldn't take it.  I would use the split urethane bushings for the rear if and when I need to do this on the 92.

Little late to the thread here, but I'm suffering from what sounds like the same issue. Let me know if replacing the rear bushings gets your problem figured out! I'm starting to get mildly concerned about the amount of play and squeaking I get...

That lower control arm was a gnarly thing to get off on mine, but then no one had done it before. I should have just broken all of the bolts off to begin with, that would have saved me at least 2 hours of sweating and swearing! Water under the bridge at this point. But that's living in the rust belt for you.

Mine wasn’t too bad, but I did remove the torsion rod so that I could turn the nut on the control arm easier.

Ordering the parts this week, hopefully get to replacing everything by the end of the month and I will report back.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

@Bobsteriffic

@Atomicrider

Did you have any luck with this? I've got a similar sounding wiggle/shimmy, but mostly when I let on/off the gas on corners over 35mph. Wondering if its the panhard/track arm or control/trailing arm bushings. How rough of a job was it and where did you purchase them from?