Humming or pulsing from front end on turns

I’ve got a sound coming from the front end while turning at speed. I just noticed this happening again this afternoon, and it only happened when I was turning going about 40mph. It doesn’t happen at slower speeds or even all the time. The sound could be described almost like a tire rubbing or a compressor motor for about 5 seconds, or the duration of the turn. I also felt something at the pedal like it was pushing it back up.

Any ideas? 

I also changed the brake pads about 6 months ago and I’ve got what feels like warped rotors(the brakes kinda pulse when I’m braking, doesn’t matter what speed) 

Thanks! 

The turn only condition seems like the wheel bearings. The pulsing is a pretty standard symptom of warped rotors. 

To check the wheel bearings jack up the front to get the tires off the ground, place it on stands and alternate pulling/pushing on the 12 and 6 o'clock positions of the tires. If you feel any play or clunking its likely a wheel bearing

If the rotors still have enough material to be turned that can be the cheapest option to cure pulses but I believe (not entirely sure) the pads need to be replaced at the same time becuase they will have worn to fit the irregular rotors

Edited by TowndawgR50
  • Like 4

I jacked it up this evening and gave it the prescribed test, there is definitely some slack in the bearings.... looks like I’ll be working on the front-end this weekend! Thanks for the suggestion, man

One other note. That play can also be caused by bad ball joints. Have someone wiggle the tire while you watch the ball joints. If they don't have slack, then it is wheel bearings. Just an extra check to make sure you have the right parts on hand. 

• Like 2

Also worth noting that the bearings don't necessarily need to be replaced. Mine were a little loose when I got the truck, but still looked fine, so I just repacked them and they were fine. (I did have to adjust tension again a while after, apparently they can settle in with time.) Mine weren't loose enough to make noise, though.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Citron said:

One other note. That play can also be caused by bad ball joints. Have someone wiggle the tire while you watch the ball joints. If they don't have slack, then it is wheel bearings. Just an extra check to make sure you have the right parts on hand. 

I’ll be taking a look at those when I pack the bearings. It’s got 150K miles and I bet they’re getting pretty worn out. I also have been avoiding an alignment because I’d like to get as much of the front end rebuilt as possible so as not to waste my money on aligning worn out parts