Stock exhaust

Steve_RI

I had an aftermarket exhaust welded in 3 years ago and it's shot.  Going back to stock pipes.  Picked up a universal cat and a stainless steel muffler and tail pipe.  Does anyone have any pics of the exhaust.  I need to go back to the stock hangers. I don't want to Weld anything to the stainless.  

I doubt you'll find the original brackets, but there's a diagram showing where it all attached to the exhaust in the FE section of the service manual. Looks like most of them wouldn't help you anyway unless you also tracked down the factory exhaust pipes with their bolt flanges and mounting points. I'd be inclined to make something work with U-bolt clamps if you don't want to weld directly to the pipe.

What brand was your last system? Even in salt country three years seems pretty short-lived.

It was the aluminized Borla cat back with the slightly bigger pipes.  Rusted faster than hell.  I remember when it was installed because the Pat's played the Falcons in the Superbowl the next day.

I was hoping for a quick turnaround but it looks like I'm going to have to come up with something for the hangers. 

I don’t have any pics but I can tell you, there are two on the muffler, one goes to the bracket on the upper control arm crossmember, the other is bolted right to the frame. Last I checked the hardware is still available aftermarket. The tailpipe one is the same as the rear muffler. They’re on rock auto right now.

There is also one on the midpipe at the transfer case but I don’t think it’s available anymore. But it wouldn’t be hard to make something.

My solution to rust was just not drive my pathy in the winter here. Lol.

Edited by adamzan
  • Like 1

Steve, are you going to have the system custom made? meaning a muffler shop fit it from the manifolds back? or are you buying a system and where? I will need to be replacing mine. I was looking at the one on rockauto. Oh and mine is still the stock system so I could answer some of your questions on mounts and mounting points.

A picture of the stock hangers would be very helpful.

I had a custom exhaust shop put the Borla cat back on.  Good work, everything welded nice, no clamps.  For whatever reason it rusted very quickly and basically fell off the truck.  I have the Walker 47752 cat back (Autoplicity - cheapest and fastest delivery I could find) and the Magna Flow 53004 universal cat (Amazon $46).  Since the Custom exhaust place welded everything, I need to replace the cat...no biggie, it's shot anyway.  I may do some welding on the cat (a flange or adapter on the muffler end and a welded butt joint on the other.   I would like to go back to close to stock as possible with the hangers so I ordered the Stock ones Adamzan mentioned (Walker 35126).   I'm trying to avoid welding to the muffler and tailpipe hence the pic would be great.  Here's a pic of the tailpipe hanger that was welded to the tailpipe..I popped it off to paint it:

1aD56nP.jpg

If I could see  how the stock exhaust is mounted to the frame I can get an idea of what else I need  to mount to those stock hangers I ordered (Walker 35126).  It looks like I just have to cut that hook piece off and use some type of strap.  I could have the exhaust shop weld it up again, but I'm trying to save some cash.  

Edited by Steve_RI
spelling

On 1/3/2019 at 8:00 AM, Steve_RI said:

A picture of the stock hangers would be very helpful.

I had a custom exhaust shop put the Borla cat back on.  Good work, everything welded nice, no clamps.  For whatever reason it rusted very quickly and basically fell off the truck.  I have the Walker 47752 cat back (Autoplicity - cheapest and fastest delivery I could find) and the Magna Flow 53004 universal cat (Amazon $46).  Since the Custom exhaust place welded everything, I need to replace the cat...no biggie, it's shot anyway.  I may do some welding on the cat (a flange or adapter on the muffler end and a welded butt joint on the other.   I would like to go back to close to stock as possible with the hangers so I ordered the Stock ones Adamzan mentioned (Walker 35126).   I'm trying to avoid welding to the muffler and tailpipe hence the pic would be great.  Here's a pic of the tailpipe hanger that was welded to the tailpipe..I popped it off to paint it:

1aD56nP.jpg

If I could see  how the stock exhaust is mounted to the frame I can get an idea of what else I need  to mount to those stock hangers I ordered (Walker 35126).  It looks like I just have to cut that hook piece off and use some type of strap.  I could have the exhaust shop weld it up again, but I'm trying to save some cash.  

They do have a strap material on them, like rubber belting.

I was able to hang the exhaust using the oem hangers on the tailpipe and muffler.  I had to make a new bracket for the tailpipe as the one from the pic on post 6 was obviously not the stock mount.  The stock mount on the muffler was still there.  The shop had welded a hanger to it (like the one in post 6), so I cut that off, drilled a new hole and was good to go.  The forward bracket on the muffler that bolts to the frame is a head scratcher.  Right now I have a makeshift strap.   Pics of these mounting points and stock brackets would still be very helpful, especially the one on the frame.  I ran out of wire welding a flange to the cat, so I will finish that up tonight or tomorrow.  I have an adapter for the other end that I'm going to just clamp and call it good.   

Okay, new exhaust is in finally.  The makeshift hanger on the muffler will do for now.  I'm assuming that this is the missing hanger that I need to mount to the frame?

Io0Fde8.jpg

Yes.... mine was still attached to the truck when mine came off. I tweaked the rear hanger a bit to get some clearance but ended up bolting a new chopped up piece to the original one and drilling two holes in the arm to get it to stay in place. I don't recall welding the two arms together but I may have do so later.

• Like 1