LED License Plate Bulbs

Ole_Rosie_R50

Here's a little bit of knowledge for you buddy some people even myself back when I first started getting into the R50 I wanted to put LED lights in my third brake lamp the one on top of the back gate. I did and it looked great. Went out for a drive later that evening and thought I'd use cruise control well my cruise control wouldn't work so I checked fuses wiring switch everything checked out great putting the LED bulbs in caused the computer or the system for the cruise control to think a bulb was out or missing causing the cruise control not to work. once I put my halogen bulbs back in the cruise control work perfect. Maybe it was really something else and I just thought it was the bulbs causing a problem but I'm pretty sure that's what it was maybe someone else can chime in on this and tell me if it's true that the LED bulbs caused the cruise not to work. I just wanted to let you know this in case you decided to do that with the third brake light. I have LEDs in every one of my lights except the third brake lamp.

Mr Cox 96R50-97JR50

On 1/1/2019 at 5:33 PM, Mrelcocko said:

Here's a little bit of knowledge for you buddy some people even myself back when I first started getting into the R50 I wanted to put LED lights in my third brake lamp the one on top of the back gate. I did and it looked great. Went out for a drive later that evening and thought I'd use cruise control well my cruise control wouldn't work so I checked fuses wiring switch everything checked out great putting the LED bulbs in caused the computer or the system for the cruise control to think a bulb was out or missing causing the cruise control not to work. once I put my halogen bulbs back in the cruise control work perfect. Maybe it was really something else and I just thought it was the bulbs causing a problem but I'm pretty sure that's what it was maybe someone else can chime in on this and tell me if it's true that the LED bulbs caused the cruise not to work. I just wanted to let you know this in case you decided to do that with the third brake light. I have LEDs in every one of my lights except the third brake lamp.

Mr Cox 96R50-97JR50

That would be beyond strange if it that's what happened. I have all led for brake lamps, third and main, and have never had that happen.

Every single bulb in my car is LED and my cruise still works fine. Maybe just you newer guys have that "feature." 

Also everywhere I looked said the license plate bulbs are the same type as the front marker lights but they're not. They use the same base as all 3 of the lights on the taillight, 1156. Just make sure you find an LED shallow enough to actual fit back in.

• Like 1

Well, that’s all confusing as Hell. I know my interior bulbs didn’t cause any problems but I use my cruise almost never these days-literally might have been years. Nevertheless, losing cruise for LEDs doesn’t seem like a good trade. Thanks for the heads up to check for it as I go about replacing the exterior lights.

• Like 1

Well, that’s all confusing as Hell. I know my interior bulbs didn’t cause any problems but I use my cruise almost never these days-literally might have been years. Nevertheless, losing cruise for LEDs doesn’t seem like a good trade. Thanks for the heads up to check for it as I go about replacing the exterior lights.

I think something that may be overlooked is the type of led bulb being used. I’ve read canbus type bulbs can cause electrical errors in non-canbus vehicles. With that said, I have canbus reverse leds because of the superior brightness and have not had any issues with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On my 98 Pathy my cruise became inop when using LED'S. Put halogen back in worked again. Of course the LEDs that I was using I purchased offline and they were cheap LEDs so that could play a part I'm sure.

Mr Cox 96R50-97JR50

• Like 1

Well, I only have reverse LEDs in so far but I have the bulbs to change over everything. I’ve learned my lesson on cheap LEDs so these are all at least “good”. I’ll probably get to it in the next couple months & will trial the cruise after each installed pair & report my final findings.