New pathy

A.Sans

https://imgur.com/a/IhgHtFr

I would personally recommend this car if you happen to be a soccer mom.  Drives smooth and has some cool tech features, but doesn’t (or it looks like it doesn’t) carry the ‘Pathfinder’ reputation of SUV.  Different generation, and different purpose.  Anyway, I would definitely take this car over mine on an interstate road trip.  It’s not bad, and better than the other billion crossovers out there.  What do you guys think?

2 hours ago, JackFletcher said:

I havent heard much good about them unfortunately. To my knowledge they are plagued with electrical problems. 

I've heard the same, especially issues with the CVT.  I haven't looked into it much though since it's not at all a style of vehicle that I'd be interested in purchasing.

I've heard the same, especially issues with the CVT.  I haven't looked into it much though since it's not at all a style of vehicle that I'd be interested in purchasing.

Have you ever driven a CVT car? I wonder if you feel any shift or hear rpms. I would never want one of those things. Complete money pits

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just now, JackFletcher said:

Have you ever driven a CVT car? I wonder if you feel any shift or hear rpms. I would never want one of those things. Complete money pits

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't, no idea how it would feel to drive.  I just can't imagine any good coming of it...a standard transmission is a proven design, I don't see why you would want a CVT -  but again, I haven't looked into it any; maybe there's an upside?  :shrug:

In theory the CVT is a great idea. You can keep the engine in its torque band all the time. Go-kart guys love them. From what I've heard/read, though, vehicles with computer-controlled CVTs tend to be useless. A friend of the family has a newer CRV that can't get out of her driveway in the winter. I don't know if it's just over-cautious traction control (my mom's '07 had a normal slushbox and just gave up if it thought the wheels were slipping too much) or if the computer can't figure out where to set the ratio with inconsistent wheel speed and gives up because of that. Also, yeah, I haven't heard much good about their reliability.

• Like 2

Ya, I've heard the same thing about the power band with a CVT transmission. Read somewhere (Car and Driver in the Dentist office?) that Porsche tried to put one in a track car decades ago but the design was banned from competition.

• Like 1

As per[mention=30891]slartibartfast[/mention] re Pros & Cons of CVT. I also remember reading in some auto forum that as far as CVT goes, Nissan nailed it & Honda’s is terrible. Unfortunately, it could be the other way around-I can’t be sure as my interest level was low, however, I think that’s the right way, as I believe I only remember it because I was surprised Nissan did something better than Honda but thought it fit given Nissan’s old reputation for performance powertrain & handling.

As for Crossovers, they certainly have a time & place. We have a 2nd Gen MDX as our family car & it’s fantastic. We’ve put 100K on it & plan another 100K. We are waiting for another “sporty” Japanese (or S Korean if they get sporty down) crossover to replace it. MDXs went soft in 2014 & the Infiniti JX (now QX something) drove like a Toyota minivan. My money would be on the Mazda CX9 if we had to buy now-almost bought one in 2010 as it handled very nice & had a responsive powertrain. Our only hold back was long term reliability & then we stumbled on our MDX for a steal. Unfortunately, the CX9s are now 4 Cylinder so that probably disappoints.

Frankly, other than a GTR or a Z, I don’t think I’d buy a modern Nissan. (I recognize the German’s make some very good crossovers but we’ll never buy German as we drive cars for decades & I can’t afford or tolerate the annoyance of keeping a German car on the road). Highlanders & Subaru’s new 3rd row crossover deserve a look. Toyota has nailed usability but I haven’t driven one in 8 years & their handling was very truck like back then. The Subaru has been getting good reviews as fun to drive but I’d always be cautious about buying the 1st version of anything.

• Like 1

We  got a 2017 Pathfinder for the wifey this past year, haven't had any problems out of it yet (knock on wood). The CVT is weird, you don't feel any shift at all. It is definitely not built for off-road use in my opinion, no ground clearance at all. 

Edited by headpeace
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

My parents have a maxima with the CVT. I don't like it at all. My neighbor has a 2016 pathfinder and he let me take it for a ride. I didn't like it that much. I actually prefer the truck like ride my Xterra/Pathy have.