Exhaust modifications

JackFletcher

Due to some rust issues my tail pipe fell out of my resonator the other day. I’m referring to the rear part of my exhaust. Basically from the axle back I need a new exhaust. What do you guys recommend? I want to upgrade from stock but I also don’t want to wake up the neighbors lol. Let me know of some of the configurations y’all liked. The rest of my exhaust is in good shape the cat and the middle muffler don’t have issues. Thank you forgive my lack of knowledge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey, I took out my muffler and left the top tubes into the muffler alone and Y-piped it to the tailpipe. Even with the three resonators it is a lot louder than my neighbors like, and IDK how Georgia is on noise, here in Alaska the cops don't care. I would proceed with caution if you want to just get a deeper tone. 

I had a similar issue, an exhaust shop fixed it for $50.  However if it's that rusty the rest of the exhaust is likely to come apart soon too, I'd suggest beginning to shop for a full replacement, but inspect the rest of the truck for rust before deciding to dump money into it.

• 5 weeks later...

I cut off my resonator and used a downturn to exit my exhaust out under the right tire. You can’t see it from behind the vehicle. No noticeable change in volume. I’ve just ordered a chambered muffler from amazon “thrush” and will be installing it soon. I’ll let you know how it works out 

I've got the stock dual piping into 2 spiral chamber mufflers into a y and then out to the back. (Think glasspacks only with an italian pasta noodle inside) It sounds super duper nice but isn't loud at all.

If you want a video of the sound while it's actually driving let me know, I can upload one. 

• Like 2

Here's what it sounds like coming from a distance under a little throttle. Sounds pretty nice when you accelerate but it's dead silent at cruising speeds somehow. Literally no drone at all on the highway, until you start going uphill lol

• Like 2

• 10 months later...
19 hours ago, DonutHands said:

Lol, my rear muffler completely disconnected today due to rust. No real change in exhaust note, only reason I noticed was due to the think knocking around.

You'd be experiencing no change in exhaust note because it sounds to me like your resonator fell off, that doesn't make much of an impact on exhaust note. Mine fell off too due to rust on my Infiniti, and I chopped it off my 4Runner so I didn't smash it on rocks. If it broke off at the main muffler you may have a hard time repairing it if at all possible, but if the pipe just broke somewhere in the middle you could probably cobble something together to route it out behind the mudflap or something.

10 hours ago, mjotrainbrain said:

You'd be experiencing no change in exhaust note because it sounds to me like your resonator fell off, that doesn't make much of an impact on exhaust note. Mine fell off too due to rust on my Infiniti, and I chopped it off my 4Runner so I didn't smash it on rocks. If it broke off at the main muffler you may have a hard time repairing it if at all possible, but if the pipe just broke somewhere in the middle you could probably cobble something together to route it out behind the mudflap or something.

Yep. After cutting off my rear resonator I got almost no increase in noise volume, just a slightly throatier sound