Asain hubs on 2000 R50?

MTGunner

Hello all, new to this forum but not off-roading. Just purchased a 2000 R50 with 144,000 miles on the odometer. Looks great overall but time will tell. Plan to do mild off-road modifications. This model is the 3.3L with a 4 speed automatic in a 4x4 configuration. 

My question is, will manual  Asian 28 spline hubs from a Geo Tracker, Asian, bolt directly on to my front wheels? Looking for a bit more mileage and less wear on half shafts. 

I do mild off-roading and turning hubs in and out not a problem. Will add roof rack, decent bash plate, better off-roadvtires and other minor mods for mostly back road driving and everyday DD.

BTW, also own 2000 Xterra that has been my DD and off-road rig for some time now. I am very familiar with the 3.3L, suspension, auto trans, etc. Thanks all for your input. MTG

I cannot answer specifically about those hubs, but it looks like you're new here (welcome!), so to generally address the manual hub topic in case you weren't aware:

Manual hubs are completely OK to swap onto any R50 Pathfinder or QX4, even those with the electronic AUTO-mode transfer case.  Just make sure if you're in any mode other than 2wd those hubs are locked up!  Personally I had Warn hubs on my rig; those and Mile Marker seem to be the most popular.  I haven't heard of anybody using Geo Tracker hubs.  If you've got an opportunity to get them really cheap I suppose you could get them cheap, but if you were going to spend any notable amount of money on em I'd just go aftermarket personally, just because you know they'll fit.  Oh, and boy will they every save wear on those CV axles!!!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MTGunner said:

Hello all, new to this forum but not off-roading. Just purchased a 2000 R50 with 144,000 miles on the odometer. Looks great overall but time will tell. Plan to do mild off-road modifications. This model is the 3.3L with a 4 speed automatic in a 4x4 configuration. 

My question is, will manual  Asian 28 spline hubs from a Geo Tracker, Asian, bolt directly on to my front wheels? Looking for a bit more mileage and less wear on half shafts. 

I do mild off-roading and turning hubs in and out not a problem. Will add roof rack, decent bash plate, better off-roadvtires and other minor mods for mostly back road driving and everyday DD.

BTW, also own 2000 Xterra that has been my DD and off-road rig for some time now. I am very familiar with the 3.3L, suspension, auto trans, etc. Thanks all for your input. MTG

Welcome aboard!  I'd presume the Geo Tracker hubs to not fit...spline count is one thing, but you need shaft diameter, clip-depth, hub bolt pattern, and other alignment of the stars to catch a break there.  It's a long shot.  However, any hubs for your Xterra will fit the Pathfinder just fine.

Edited by hawairish
  • Like 1

Firstly, the hubs are Aisin brand, not Asian. Secondly, these hubs will NOT fit from a Suzuki Vitara (aka Geo whatever they're called in the states) as the stud pattern to bolt onto the hub is completely different, least not due to the fact that the r50 uses six mounting studs (not five like on the Vitara), for both the hubs and wheels. 

Aisin hubs are OEM on a number of Japanese brands and are very strong, better even than Warn - however I do not know if they make a hub for Nissan. 

They used to have Aisin hubs for Nissans.  Some of the ones for W/D21 will fit the R50, as long as the spline counts are the same (they changed counts at some point).  I had a pair that I pulled from the JY, but they were 27-spline IIRC.  Really solid units, wish I could've used them.  Aisin also made (makes?) a lot of other Japanese OEM parts.