No O/D off light on dash or AT light coming on with ignition on

kootenaypathy

Trying to see if there are any codes thrown by AT control unit but i have no AT power light coming on when turning key on.

also, as a note,  the O/D off light does not appear on dash as well.  

any ideas?

od works fine and the AT power works when rockered on? 

where the heck is the AT control unit on the 1995?

The trans computer's in the driver's rear quarter panel (remove the lower cargo area trim to access it). Closest box to the front IIRC. If you think that's a weird place for a trans computer, the box that controls the power antenna's mounted in that same cavity, back near the tail light. Between them is the audio amp for the front speakers (also the one for the rears, but that one makes sense). I have no idea what Nissan was thinking when they laid out the harness.

+1 for checking bulbs first!

• Like 3

Just as a side note: the o/d light flash sequence is the way to get codes out of the transmission computer. There is an easy procedure in the FSM to follow, along with the descriptions of the codes and possible causes of them. But yep... probably a bulb ( I think it's a 194 that goes in there).

• Like 2

IIRC on the round-dash trucks it's the light in the power/EAT switch that flashes. Been a while since I had my '95. I think it's the power light on the dash in my '93. Anyway, yeah, something should be flashing LOL. The big bulbs in the cluster are 194s. I don't remember what the little guys are, though.

• Haha 1

Thanks so much for the posts.

just to clarify,  the bulb in the cluster for the "o/d off light is likely a 194, correct?

and the bulb for the A/T power illuminator is small but should be found under the rocker switch?  anyone know what this bulb is?

went through the FSM for pulling a trans code, but first one needs to see that A/T illumination upon bringing car up to temp and turning od on and putting key to "on" position which is not happening

Edited by kootenaypathy
add

On 12/10/2018 at 7:07 AM, SpecialWarr said:

Just as a side note: the o/d light flash sequence is the way to get codes out of the transmission computer. There is an easy procedure in the FSM to follow, along with the descriptions of the codes and possible causes of them. But yep... probably a bulb ( I think it's a 194 that goes in there).

i just looked at the FSM for the 1995 model, mayby your 1990 is different, or mayby i am confused but the way i read it the power shift indicator lamp blinks out codes for the trans codes?

Had a look at the manual and yep, it's the light in the switch that flashes. The manual has you check the operation of the OD light while you're at it, but just to see if it's working (the "go to" goes to a diagram of the circuit). I had a look at the '90 manual and the dash looks different, but the procedure looks the same. The '97 manual shows the OD light flashing codes.

My '93 doesn't have a light in the switch, but it's got an idiot light on the cluster surround that says POWER.

I'm not sure about the '95 (been a while since I had a round-dash) but on my square-dash cluster, the 194 bulbs do the backlighting and the turn signals, and a couple of the idiot lights (fuel and battery IIRC); I think the OD light uses one of the little ones. I posted a thread a while back when I was looking for the little bulbs. Hopefully one of the posts there helps.

thanks Slartibartfast.

I checked out your link, and there is a nissan partnumber and toshiba partnumber i can use for the small bulbs.  14v  .  thanks.  would prefer to open cluster up and fix quickly.

lastly,  any help on that power shift bulb? 

I have no idea what's in there, unfortunately. They look a bit like the grain-of-wheat bulbs my model trains used when I was a kid but they're shorter. There isn't really a base, just a rubber plug with the bare wires from the bulb wrapped through the holes and pressed over a pair of contacts. I've been going through my dash switches and soldering in LEDs rather than tracking down a plug-in option. You have to take the switches apart to get into them. Don't try to take the rocker part out, the tabs will break and the switch will be junk; separate the switch from the back (you'll see the little locking tabs back there) and the bulbs should be easily accessible. I've been meaning to do a writeup when I do the last two (actually my e-at and rear wiper switches), but I have yet to figure out how to remove them from the dash without taking the whole dash out, and I'm in no hurry to do that again.

I seem to remember somebody tracked down a Radioshack part number for them at some point. I might be thinking of the bulbs for the climate control, though.

Edit: here's a part #. Hopefully the indicator uses the same bulb as the general switch illumination.

Edited by Slartibartfast
  • Like 1

I was just looking around and found something that looks familiar, the bulb may be a #7152... it seems to be about the right size, wattage and volts.

http://www.bulbtown.com/7152_Miniature_Bulb_Wire_Terminal_Base_p/7152.htm

The bulb _might_ be listed in the electrical section of the FSM but my memory is hazy and I can't find my paper copy anywhere!