92 Transmission Swap

geoatk

I am in the middle of swapping my automatic transmission to a manual in my 92 pathfinder. I have read from what people have posted about it. My question is, if I just plug in the ECU from the donor truck (1993 pathfinder) will that stop me from having a check engine light on? I did change out the dash and instrument panel with the wiring for that but I did not pull the complete wiring harness of of the donor car. Maybe I should have. 

My understanding is that the auto ECU doesn't notice or care that the auto trans is gone. (It doesn't control the trans, the trans has its own computer, which is located in the passenger's rear quarter panel for some reason.) You shouldn't need the donor harness, though you will need to mess with yours a little to get your reverse lights working and deal with the starter interlock (either by rewiring it to the clutch safety switch or by bypassing it).

Let us know how it goes! I've been gathering info for if/when my slushbox decides it's seen enough.

Sounds good. Thank you. I will keep you posted. The automatic is almost out. I am having a little difficulty getting the torque converter out. My son is done for the semester now so he can help me finish the job. 

• 2 weeks later...

The new pilot bearing doesn't fit. Are the crankshafts the same for the manual and auto trans or did I just get the wrong size pilot bearing? It looks like there might be a thin bushing left over from the auto. Anyone know if the is correct?

Edited by geoatk

Sounds like there is a pilot bushing in the crank for the auto trans. I'll second the grease trick mentioned there, it worked to get the roached pilot bearing out of the 302 that's going in my dad's hot rod. We used a socket and an extender to get the right size to fit the bushing, and some bits of paper towel to take up space so we didn't waste as much grease (and to prevent the grease squeezing out around the socket). Apparently soap and even bread can be substituted for the grease. Apparently there's an oil passage plug behind the pilot, so be careful not to beat on the crank itself.

When I did my swap, my check engine light was a result of a bad O2 sensor. Went away after I got a new exhaust put on after doing the swap.   It ran fine on the AT ECU, but I'm using an MT ECU for the higher cold idle. 

Everyone else has had a pilot bearing in the crank, except me oddly enough.  I've also got two different markings under the hood for timing belt swaps, with just about 200k on the truck...so my truck might not be the best to compare too. 

• 1 month later...

I now have the transmission and starter in. Only things left to do are clutch lines, wire the starter, reinstall the front axle/driveshaft and the new exhaust. Might paint it thia weekend too. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...