Moderator/Admin accessibility

hawairish

Not a complaint, just an observation, but most of the admins and mods aren't frequent visitors to the forum these days.  It's fully understood that vehicles, interests, and life change, so I don't have expectations that they'll always be online (I miss me some @Precise1 quips, though).  Our trucks aren't exactly new, either.  However, I've had a few questions lately that don't warrant public posts like this, but my PMs to current admins and mods have gone unanswered.

Definitely not a knock on the current staff, but would it be beneficial to cycle in some new moderators?  There are several active members with proven interest and knowledge that would make great moderators.  (And no, this isn't a pitch for me; not interested.)  For starters, it might be nice to see some renewed interest in checking for pin-worthy topics (i.e., Land Rover springs), cleaning out or condensing old pins, moving build threads to the Member's Rides section, etc.

This is hands-down the best forum community I've been a part of.  For the few years I've been around, is has also been very self-moderating.  I've read some old posts and know this wasn't always the case.  At the same time, sometimes it's nice to know (or believe) the forum isn't completely hands-off.  I don't find the NPORA FB group a suitable replacement (noting that it's not directly affiliated with the forum, just a shared name and a lot of member overlap). 

My original reason for this post is because @TowndawgR50 and I had some questions about qualifications for Vendor status here.  We wanted to hold off on our recent announcement until we were able to discuss things with the admin team, but could no longer wait for a response.  @RedPath88, I believe you're the best person to talk to about this (and sorry to call you out directly here), but your inbox is full and the Hangouts invite I sent has not been accepted.  We'd still like to chat about it if you've got the time.

Edited by hawairish
  • Like 4

Just a quick reply here....  sorry about the delay @hawairish. I did see an invite in Hangouts, but did not recognize the name so I let it sit stalled.  But @Pezzy did get a hold of me the other day asking about my inbox and sent a screenshot of your message along with. I didn't even realize it was full, however I found a few minutes to clear some PM Inbox room soon after reading her message... guess I was just trying to emulate B (@Precise1) with his perpetually full inbox :lol:... and I did plan to get a hold of you. I usually do a pretty good job of keeping it just under full so that I'm available via PM.  However it's also absolutely amazing how fast the staffs PM Inbox's can fill up at times.

Just to be clear here, the following applies to @hawairish & @TowndawgR50 as it applies to this specific subject and is not a free pass for all to follow suit. :)

I read your thread in the R50 section and recommend you continue with it to avoid any further delays in your guys' plans.  Once we can discuss and perhaps work out an NPORA Vendor status, we'll look at moving it,  if appropriate, into the Vendor Section.

:beer:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Thanks @RedPath88, I definitely appreciate that reply.  And yeah, B's inbox was always full.  No doubt the inboxes get cluttered quickly.

We'll definitely follow-up in the near future once @TowndawgR50 and I firm things up.  Work in progress!

On a related topic[mention=1519]RedPath88[/mention] what is a good way for a general member to flag an Admin? For example, to suggest putting a pin in a topic or cutting something out into its own thread? Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/3/2018 at 10:47 PM, hawairish said:

Definitely not a knock on the current staff, but would it be beneficial to cycle in some new moderators?  There are several active members with proven interest and knowledge that would make great moderators.  (And no, this isn't a pitch for me; not interested.)  For starters, it might be nice to see some renewed interest in checking for pin-worthy topics (i.e., Land Rover springs), cleaning out or condensing old pins, moving build threads to the Member's Rides section, etc.

@RedPath88 Bumping this up again, since there have been a few recent posts that warrant clean-up.  Is this open to discussion?  If nominations are accepted, @RainGoat and @Slartibartfast have my vote.

• Thanks 2

@hawairish

I appreciate the nominations but ask that this not turn into a nom thread that may or may not be taken under consideration.  I mean nothing negative by this, it is just that I have never been a fan of staff appointed by a method that so often turns out to be little more than a popularity contest.

Again, considering the above, suggestions are appreciated, but volunteers are better, especially when they present a case for it themselves... just explain why they would like to be, how they can contribute etc.... and privately.  This gives basic idea of they really understand what NPORA is, as a community.

However, even then it's hot entirely reliable, to that I'll point to the most recent forum testing and upgrade as a prime example. Many volunteered, few responded and fewer still actually contributed.

Edited by RedPath88
Expanded a bit on "case"
  • Thanks 1

@hawairish and all , please feel free to use the "Report" function if you feel that there is inappropriate activity that needs to be reviewed and potentially taken care of by staff immediately. You can find that in the upper right of all posts except your own. When a post is reported all staff, active or not, receive these notifications. For Less pressing matters that may still need attention, feel free to PM directly or use the mention feature.

15 minutes ago, RedPath88 said:

@hawairish

I appreciate the nominations but ask that this not turn into a nom thread that may or may not be taken under consideration.  I mean nothing negative by this, it is just that I have never been a fan of staff appointed by a method that so often turns out to be little more than a popularity contest.

Again, considering the above, suggestions are appreciated, but volunteers are better, especially when they present a case for it themselves and privately. However, even then it's hot entirely reliable, to that I'll point to the most recent forum testing and upgrade as a prime example. Many volunteered, few responded and fewer still actually contributed.

Understood.  I definitely don't mean to make it a popularity contest.  I only know RainGoat personally, but both he and Slart consistently provide exceptional responses and genuine interest in keeping threads informative and on track.  In lieu of nominations, just voicing a compliment.

My main concern is that of the current admins and moderators, you might be the only active one (excluding mjotrainbrain with only TOTM moderation; I'm glad that he still hangs around).  Simple thought is that more help helps everyone, but the forum testing was likely an exception.  Hopefully I don't fall into the list of forum testing flakes...admittedly, I was hesitant to volunteer in the first place due to work travel at the time, and only volunteered late because it didn't seem like testing was even progressing.  Any testing I could contribute was done during odd hours, no less. Otherwise, half of my day job is usually application/software testing.

5 minutes ago, RedPath88 said:

@hawairish and all , please feel free to use the "Report" function if you feel that there is inappropriate activity that needs to be reviewed and potentially taken care of by staff immediately. You can find that in the upper right of all posts except your own. When a post is reported all staff, active or not, receive these notifications. For Less pressing matters that may still need attention, feel free to PM directly or use the mention feature.

Noted.  I doubt anything I've seen has warranted use of the Report function, at least not for being inappropriate.  Perhaps miscategorized, at worst, but usually unworthy of PMs or mentions to be a real issue.  It's just a matter of cleanliness and usefulness, I suppose to avoid becoming pass-through sites like NICO where useful content is drowned by dead-on-arrival conversations.

Nonetheless, thanks for the consideration!

• Like 2

16 hours ago, RedPath88 said:

Can I use the 'Report' function to report admins who seem to be slacking on their duties or are just too damned lazy to cleanout their inboxes? ;)

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

29 minutes ago, k9sar said:

Can I use the 'Report' function to report admins who seem to be slacking on their duties or are just too damned lazy to cleanout their inboxes? ;)

Absolutely! They should be suspended!