Extra Gauges

AlabamaDan

Y'all ever think about how poor the gauge cluster on a QX4 is?  I have a fuel gauge, water temp gauge, tach, and speedo.  An oil pressure gauge would be great.  A voltmeter.  Anyone installed any?  Where'd ya put them and how'd you hook them up?

• Like 1

I use a Scan Gauge for voltage and other gauges you don't generally see in cars. I don't think our VQs have an oil pressure sender that can indicate pressure tied to the ECU. It does have a low hi sensor for the idiot light. I'll have to double check that.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I've seen that and I'm planning on getting a voltmeter, I just need to find out where to put it.

You can just swap out your cigarette lighter or drill a hole in any plastic surface with enough space behind it. Not that I would put the volt meter there but I’m planning on mounting 2 USB outlets in the vertical back of my center console above the cup holders for my kids.

7 minutes ago, colinnwn said:

I use a Scan Gauge for voltage and other gauges you don't generally see in cars. I don't think our VQs have an oil pressure sender that can indicate pressure tied to the ECU. It does have a low hi sensor for the idiot light. I'll have to double check that.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

My 1973 Ford and 1980 Chevy pickup had a full gauge clusters. It just as drivers have become less mechanically  inclined these became less popular.  It could be that Japanese cars never had them.

I found this thread where someone talked about a pillar pods, but I don't think anything ever happened.

I've been using this as an on board computer and it provides some gauges.  I think what I will do is find an old iPhone and a method to mount for long term.  They don't come on automatically, but works well.

Screen%20Shot%202018-12-02%20at%208.34.2

Screen%20Shot%202018-12-02%20at%208.31.1

• Like 2

There actually was a pillar gauge pod made for these. Looks like it's third from the bottom here. Sounds like the fitment isn't 100%, but not terrible either. I'm cheap so I'd probably try knocking something together with PVC end caps like what ahardbody did for his tweeters a while back.

The early dashboards (87-92?) have voltmeters and oil pressure gauges. I mounted a volt gauge from a 720 in my '95 just by drilling a hole in the dash. It worked great, but looked a bit out of place and never really told me anything I couldn't have guessed.

As a general comment on the topic, while I agree that the gauges are lacking (I personally would like to know the status of as much as I can, especially when offroading), it certainly seems to be the standard.  My '03 4Runner, my dad's '16 Tacoma, and my mom's '12 Escape all have the exact same selection of 4 basic info gauges.  I've even seen that some cars now don't have tach's.  Pretty sad that people are becoming this uninterested in the machines that they interact with every day; and these are often the same people that don't get the oil changed and complain when the car doesn't last 200k miles trouble free...smh.

Anyways...rant over.

• Like 2

...Pretty sad that people are becoming this uninterested in the machines that they interact with every day....

Are you kidding. We are reasonably likely to see autonomous cars that look like living rooms inside in our lifetime. I’m not against it. The AIs will likely be better drivers than most people. Just as long as they leave room for those of us who have an interest. We’re already niche anyway!

• Like 1

I used a machanical oil gauge. Ran the oil line through the firewall where the clutch/slave master cylinder would go on the manual r50 into a T fitting I installed where the factory oil sending goes. I removed the oil sending unit and inserted the T fitting in its place. I wanted to use a T fitting that way I could still have the factory oil dumby light. Hook your oil line up to one side and the factory oil sending unit into the other. Walla!41534de5d691dd8e383f4142655fb0bf.jpgbf8b3390c2b1552f8d6c726e5204ca17.jpgfee68c96d89cad664ab79a5888bed044.jpg8a2b262c2645ab90c97ef7a2924381b2.jpg

Mr Cox 96R50-97JR50

• Like 4

It's not just new cars not having gauges. My '59 Triumph just has the speedo and the gas gauge and three idiot lights (and it's all in one unit). The '63 Scout I plow snow with has a speedo, temp gauge, and gas gauge, and a couple of idiot lights. They didn't really need more than that for what they were designed to do. (Don't get me started on the simulated oil pressure gauges in some vehicles, though. That's just lying to your face.)

I'm not looking forward to self-driving cars. I don't think the tech is ready, and even if it was, look at who is trying to implement it. Automakers have enough trouble building systems that function with a human calling the shots. Toyota: remember how our code was so bad that our cars randomly accelerated, and we tried to blame it on the floor mats? Now we've given the computer control of the brakes and steering, too! Or GM: Remember how we couldn't build an ignition switch to save our lives, and then pretended there wasn't a problem? Good news! We had the same guys build the system that steers for you!

The lifespan on a self-driving car will likely be short until something goes wrong. But that's no problem for the manufacturer. They can just brick it for safety reasons (or make it prohibitively expensive/risky to repair) and make you throw it away and buy another one. Or maybe they'll do it via subscription service so you never really own the thing, and it's never paid off.

(Clean install, elcocko!)

• Like 4

On 12/4/2018 at 7:04 PM, Slartibartfast said:

It's not just new cars not having gauges. My '59 Triumph just has the speedo and the gas gauge and three idiot lights (and it's all in one unit). The '63 Scout I plow snow with has a speedo, temp gauge, and gas gauge, and a couple of idiot lights. They didn't really need more than that for what they were designed to do. (Don't get me started on the simulated oil pressure gauges in some vehicles, though. That's just lying to your face.)

I'm not looking forward to self-driving cars. I don't think the tech is ready, and even if it was, look at who is trying to implement it. Automakers have enough trouble building systems that function with a human calling the shots. Toyota: remember how our code was so bad that our cars randomly accelerated, and we tried to blame it on the floor mats? Now we've given the computer control of the brakes and steering, too! Or GM: Remember how we couldn't build an ignition switch to save our lives, and then pretended there wasn't a problem? Good news! We had the same guys build the system that steers for you!

The lifespan on a self-driving car will likely be short until something goes wrong. But that's no problem for the manufacturer. They can just brick it for safety reasons (or make it prohibitively expensive/risky to repair) and make you throw it away and buy another one. Or maybe they'll do it via subscription service so you never really own the thing, and it's never paid off.

(Clean install, elcocko!)

I drove a Tesla a few weeks back and tested out the self driving mode.  It is freaky and so odd to not be driving but sitting behind the wheel.  I won't say that is would be very cool on boring interstate trips from one city to the other.  I love driving, but long boring interstate drives suck.

On 12/4/2018 at 2:23 AM, Slartibartfast said:

There actually was a pillar gauge pod made for these. Looks like it's third from the bottom here. Sounds like the fitment isn't 100%, but not terrible either. I'm cheap so I'd probably try knocking something together with PVC end caps like what ahardbody did for his tweeters a while back.

The early dashboards (87-92?) have voltmeters and oil pressure gauges. I mounted a volt gauge from a 720 in my '95 just by drilling a hole in the dash. It worked great, but looked a bit out of place and never really told me anything I couldn't have guessed.

I couldn't find the one for a 1998 QX4/Pathfinder.

On 12/4/2018 at 10:02 AM, mjotrainbrain said:

As a general comment on the topic, while I agree that the gauges are lacking (I personally would like to know the status of as much as I can, especially when offroading), it certainly seems to be the standard.  My '03 4Runner, my dad's '16 Tacoma, and my mom's '12 Escape all have the exact same selection of 4 basic info gauges.  I've even seen that some cars now don't have tach's.  Pretty sad that people are becoming this uninterested in the machines that they interact with every day; and these are often the same people that don't get the oil changed and complain when the car doesn't last 200k miles trouble free...smh.

Anyways...rant over.

I think it is standard and there have always been basic and advanced.  My 1973 Ford originally had a speedo, fuel gauge, and a temp gauge.  However, there was an option for a rally gauge kit that had everything that I switched to.

On 12/4/2018 at 12:09 PM, RainGoat said:

Are you kidding. We are reasonably likely to see autonomous cars that look like living rooms inside in our lifetime. I’m not against it. The AIs will likely be better drivers than most people. Just as long as they leave room for those of us who have an interest. We’re already niche anyway!

A car that's like a living room, you mean a Lexus?  :lol:

On 12/4/2018 at 5:00 PM, Mrelcocko said:

Yours truly.1e144475f93d1fcbb6b4e35f9d7bf68a.jpg3d9843f0244bcb00aae13b448cebb20e.jpgf7a90ecf4532bbff1a07951a243a4fb1.jpg

Pretty nice.  you talked about how you hooked up the oil gauge, which I guess i understand, but could use some pics.  How'd you do the others?

• Like 1