Finally went for a ride!

AlabamaDan

I've been working a lot on my QX4 the last few months, repairs and detailing and small modifications.  Today I was finally able to take it back out to the woods.  My farm is about 2 hours away on by Interstate.  Then I wheeled around in the woods a while and then took some back roads home.  Happy to say everything functioned well.  The window guards I installed are a little noisy I think or maybe it was the light bar.  At any rate, turning up the radio solves the problem.  :lol:

Here are a few sights from the middle of the woods

E333ADD0-2782-4432-9080-E89B44161CE6_zps

CA5040AF-9CE6-46F8-B18C-9F30C903BD51_zps

83EE3070-A21F-4458-8F8C-028E3096063A_zps

1036A37C-2193-4A84-A20A-890C0D554FE7_zps

Here I am on down the trail

C2082A0E-D313-487C-A4DC-AAF6A683B37F_zps

9F8CEAF3-AADF-42FA-9C28-A07E7A8F85BC_zps

I was a little intimidated by this water crossing

6EE680DA-C0FE-4554-B178-7CCF67242880_zps

What would you have done?

A few sights on the back roads home

9301EC06-2094-42A1-A3B0-28604B1C5645_zps

14020C33-8BE2-4024-8ED2-D366F628BD81_zps

• Like 2

Looks like fun!  Hard to gauge the size of the crossing in the picture, but if I'm not 100% confident I don't try stuff without a backup plan (or even better, somebody else with a 4by with me).  That suspension looks awfully saggy, got plans to replace (lift) it?

My suspension is definitely sagging.  I measured around once and I'm at least one inch low, maybe two, from stock.  I'm contemplating a 2" lift, which would be 2" from stock which I'm not even at right now!

As for that water crossing....  I got my four wheeler stuck in that last spring....  I didn't even try.  :nono:

• Like 1

I relate to the lightbar wind noise. Next time you come to that water crossing, yeehaw that QX4 harder than any soccer mom that's 30 minutes late to their kids practice and see what happens lol. I tend to have luck when I take that approach. Got some good stories about it too

Edited by Wacky_Pathy
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Looks like fun! I’m 1 inch lower in the back and I hate how it rides. I think you could’ve made it across but I’m not sure, definitely don’t want to get stuck alone! I always get a stick if I’m not sure about the depth

Looks like fun! I’m 1 inch lower in the back and I hate how it rides. I think you could’ve made it across but I’m not sure, definitely don’t want to get stuck alone! I always get a stick if I’m not sure about the depth

There’s a hole right there about 3’ deep and it’s soft. I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t even have entered it good before I got stuck. I turned around. That’s where the vid starts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was a little intimidated by this water crossing

What would you have done?

Danger! Danger!

I got super stuck in a puddle that looked almost exactly like that except it had a drop going into it and it took a gigantic John Deer tractor to pull me out.

Ya just gotta yeehaw it

Hahaha yeah this method is the most fun but it can also be the most painful.

I’ve punched it thru stuff I shouldn’t have been anywhere near to the cheers of everyone there and it felt amazing. In fact it was such a rush that I am likely hooked for life.

BUT

Then I’ve absolutely DESTROYED (sucked water into the engine and killed the bottom end) my vehicle by just going for it thru what looked like a shallow mud hole but turned out to be 4’ deep at the bottom of the ruts..

My advice to you AlabamaDan if your going to start off-roading (and forgive me if you are already experienced and don’t need advice!) is to get out and check the depth EVERY SINGLE TIME! Even if it looks like a puddle, my friend, what looked like a puddle has ripped my QX4 a new arse more than once!

Also awesome video!

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, onespiritbrain said:

Danger! Danger!

My advice to you AlabamaDan if your going to start off-roading (and forgive me if you are already experienced and don’t need advice!) is to get out and check the depth EVERY SINGLE TIME! Even if it looks like a puddle, my friend, what looked like a puddle has ripped my QX4 a new arse more than once!

Also awesome video!

No forgiveness needed.  I've driven logging roads, hunting roads, some trails, and a little bushwhacking like I did in the video.  I've only driven through water when I know what's on the bottom.  I would say I'm a  novice at most.  Thanks for the kudos on the vid.

1 hour ago, onespiritbrain said:

Danger! Danger!

I got super stuck in a puddle that looked almost exactly like that except it had a drop going into it and it took a gigantic John Deer tractor to pull me out.

Hahaha yeah this method is the most fun but it can also be the most painful.

I’ve punched it thru stuff I shouldn’t have been anywhere near to the cheers of everyone there and it felt amazing. In fact it was such a rush that I am likely hooked for life.

BUT

Then I’ve absolutely DESTROYED (sucked water into the engine and killed the bottom end) my vehicle by just going for it thru what looked like a shallow mud hole but turned out to be 4’ deep at the bottom of the ruts..

Also awesome video!

Yup. What he said^ lol. Thats what I mean by good stories from the yeehaw method. Although, on my YZ250, the yeehaw method works everytime!