Hawairish and TowndawgR50 are teaming up!

hawairish

I'm a little confused, are the swing gate kits going to be everything you need to install a tire carrier? Or just parts to adapt a JY OEM tire carrier to a Pathy that didn't come with the OEM one?

• Like 1

The kits are still being tested and refined but as of right now they include all stainless fasteners, rivnuts and the stiffener plate for the body mounted latch components to retrofit a Pathfinder that did not come with a swing gate with a used JY unit. There is the optional license plate relocation bracket for those that want it as well.

This setup has not been tested on pre-face lifted Pathfinders or any QX4.  

You'll need to source a used swing gate and latch components from a JY or part out vehicle. Also, you'll need to rent or purchase a rivnut gun to install the threaded inserts. Given the total cost, when compared to a swing gate for a 4runner or universal unit from Smittybilt, JY swing gates are a great alternative. 

Edited by TowndawgR50
  • Like 5

The kits are still being tested and refined but as of right now they include all stainless fasteners, rivnuts and the stiffener plate for the body mounted latch components to retrofit a Pathfinder that did not come with a swing gate with a used JY unit. There is the optional license plate relocation bracket for those that want it as well.

You'll need to source a used swing gate and latch components from a JY or part out vehicle. Also, you'll need to rent or purchase a rivnut gun to install the threaded inserts. Given the total cost, when compared to a swing gate for a 4runner or universal unit from Smittybilt, JY swing gates are a great alternative. 

Interesting - i suppose the lift gate geometry is different pre and post facelift. I have a pre-facelift XE (1997) and a JY swing gate with all of the latches ready for testing if you are looking for a subject. I’m planning on some trips to Phoenix and Seattle anyway...

Looking forward to the launch of your business!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14 hours ago, TowndawgR50 said:

2 hours ago, malacandro said:

Interesting - i suppose the lift gate geometry is different pre and post facelift. I have a pre-facelift XE (1997) and a JY swing gate with all of the latches ready for testing if you are looking for a subject. I’m planning on some trips to Phoenix and Seattle anyway...

I think he was just saying we've not done an install with this method on a pre-facelift truck.  It should be exactly the same because the carriers are coming from pre-facelift trucks.

It should also "fit" QX4 trucks but the issue there is that the liftgate contour is different and the reverse lights are on the liftgate, not the tail lights.

@malacandro If you want to make it happen here, I'd be up for that.  I'll be doing @Astrorami's setup in the near future, though I'd like to let @TowndawgR50's continued R&D occur and apply those methods here when ready.  They're a definite improvement on my original approach.

Also, this is all great info!  Be sure to add some stuff to the Tire Carrier thread (linked in my signature) if you've not already.

• Like 3

I think he was just saying we've not done an install with this method on a pre-facelift truck.  It should be exactly the same because the carriers are coming from pre-facelift trucks.
It should also "fit" QX4 trucks but the issue there is that the liftgate contour is different and the reverse lights are on the liftgate, not the tail lights.

[mention=41759]malacandro[/mention] If you want to make it happen here, I'd be up for that.  I'll be doing [mention=41155]Astrorami[/mention]'s setup in the near future, though I'd like to let [mention=37543]TowndawgR50[/mention]'s continued R&D occur and apply those methods here when ready.  They're a definite improvement on my original approach.

Also, this is all great info!  Be sure to add some stuff to the Tire Carrier thread (linked in my signature) if you've not already.

That is very generous of you - I’ll definitely shoot you a message if I’ll be in town (or I can see if I can coordinate with Astrorami). I have some family in North Phoenix, so not too far from you. It would be fun to see what else you all have coming up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 3/21/2019 at 8:39 PM, TowndawgR50 said:

ive got a qx4 you can throw one on! lol

• 1 month later...

Time for an update!  Another month gone by...

It's been busy the last several weeks, as usual.  We've since acquired all the steel and hardware we need to do the first batch of kits.  We've done a limited run of parts to validate our anticipated production processes, and things are currently in @TowndawgR50's hands to complete the first finished kits.  For now, this first pass only includes a complete 3" and 4" kit (and technically the 1.75" spacer, thanks to the modular design), as well as two panhard drop bracket options: a short bracket that gives a simple 3.5" drop, and a long bracket for 3.5", 4.5", or 5.5" drops.  We also intend to offer extended rear sway bar end links.  Expect some teaser pics soon.

We are planning to install the first 3" kit in less than 2 weeks (!!), so we're both excited and stressed.  Soon after, The Gambler will get outfitted with the 4" kit.  If everything goes to plan, we'll start cranking out the remaining kits for the initial group we've been working with.

Also, we want to make a clarification about the camber-correction function of the strut spacers: while the two-piece strut spacers allow for camber adjustments, we are still advocating the use of camber bolts.  The adjustment feature is primarily to make large camber adjustments during the installation process.  You'll be able to eyeball the camber during installation, and get it dialed in relatively well, but our secondary objective is to simply make sure the truck is alignable—and for many people (including myself), this means taking the truck to a professional shop.  The use of camber bolts gives alignment shops the ability to accurately dial things in, using a part/process that they are very familiar with.  While we like our strut spacer approach, it will be very foreign to many shops, who may refuse to adjust them.  Keep in mind that R50s didn't have camber or caster adjustability to begin with, so there's already the initial challenge of informing the shop that you've added camber adjustability.

Feel free to ask any questions, otherwise more updates to follow soon!

• Like 13

Finished 1 complete 3" prototype kit as well as a partial 3" prototype kit and sent them off to AZ today. In the process of making this initial batch we've invested a lot of time into fabricating fixtures for the assembly and welding processes. This ensures our kits are consistent and allows us to be much more efficient. Looking forward to the coming weeks as this has been a lot of work and time but the passion for this project only grows daily, doubly so with good weather finally creeping in here and camping season on the horizon!

lMxDACZ.jpg

D1JNyz5.jpg

GdNX7kE.jpg 

• Like 15

9 hours ago, Sjackson2 said:

Is it just to hold it together while welding? 

Correct, it’s a jig for making all the spacer components. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I gotta say, this is all super interesting to me. I just got my R50 so I haven't had the chance to really do anything with it yet, but it's nice to know that when I do end up lifting it that I'll have a quality option ready to go.

I'm also super interested in the tire carrier kit. I read up on @hawairish thread, but an actual kit would make it a lot easier. Just gotta find myself a carrier once I get paid.

On 5/28/2019 at 4:30 PM, lostpath575 said:

Looking for updates guys, do you guys have a website up?

Very True a website would be cool. 

Hey guys- thank you for the questions and comments!
 As of right now we have had one installment and during that process found the hardware approach needed improvement and we carefully evaluated the installation process. The next vehicle (The Gambler 500 rig or one of our two personal vehicles)should have version 2.0 installed for road&trail tests soon.  

We have already acquired a domain and hosting for a website but the site is low priority for now. Our main focus is on refining the design of the SFD components and proving they're road & trail worthy

• Like 11

On 5/30/2019 at 1:43 PM, TowndawgR50 said:

Hey guys- thank you for the questions and comments!
 As of right now we have had one installment and during that process found the hardware approach needed improvement and we carefully evaluated the installation process. The next vehicle (The Gambler 500 rig or one of our two personal vehicles)should have version 2.0 installed for road&trail tests soon.  

We have already acquired a domain and hosting for a website but the site is low priority for now. Our main focus is on refining the design of the SFD components and proving they're road & trail worthy

Love hearing the updates! Are you guys working on any other products simultaneously or just focusing on the SFD to start? Very interested in a better rack solution for my RTT as well as Molle racks etc ?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Our 2003 Gambler500 rig received the second iteration of the SFD kit this weekend. Prior to this the front end was swapped with @ferrariowner123 's 1996 and the results were great. Fast forward to this past weekend- We held a workshop to iron out processes and familiarize @02_Pathy with the  work required to install our kit as he will be performing the install at his place and helping @Stpickens  with his truck. Huge thank you to @ferrariowner123 & @02_Pathy as well as the rest of the PNW and SW test groups for their help, participation, patience and the initial work required to make this all happen.

For now the Gambler rig still needs mechanical attention and some odds and ends to be ready for the Washington state Gambler 500 event in August but the bulk of the prep and install is done. Its currently setup with our Pines to Spines 4" SFD kit, factory worn out front struts and springs and LR9448 rear springs with the OEM rear shocks. It will receive some replacements for the older suspension components, the current prototype roof mount system for a rack and accessories, a swing gate and some other items but mostly run as is for the event. We are aiming to run this truck through its paces and, pending positive results, start installing the kits on the test group rigs for real world trials soon after. 

Q4oMq6x.jpg

2yXY7vy.jpg

yYRF59f.jpg

61wkNHO.jpg

DD050q1.jpg

a37Dhet.jpg

UOFKSu9.jpg

Cl1JLMq.jpg

RDL6qZJ.jpg

hRumxPG.jpg

• Like 12

The products look amazing, as does the nose job on the gambler! Really got me looking for a clapped out silver pre-facelift R50, with a tire carrier! Love the thought of the rugged look with the power of the vq35...

• Like 1