zakzackzachary

zakzackzachary's 2000 R50 new to PNW from AK

On 5/4/2019 at 1:47 AM, RainGoat said:

Zack, that table looks pretty thin (I’m thinking under rack mount). Who makes it?

It's definitely not gonna hold a whole lot of weight, but works well for just a few things! It was a cheapo, I got it at Walmart.

Yeah, I meant thin in the low profile, make an under rack slide storage way. I love that setup but the stainless table that do it are $100s which isn’t going to happen.

On 5/7/2019 at 11:09 AM, RainGoat said:

Yeah, I meant thin in the low profile, make an under rack slide storage way. I love that setup but the stainless table that do it are $100s which isn’t going to happen.

That's an interesting idea for a storage location... I'll have to check it out.

Front Runner has a system for it. Looks useful (& space saving) but is expensive & made for expensive tables. I’ve thought about jury rigging my own version. I’m more than happy to have you beat me to it - though it does sound like the table may be more useful as a cargo bag protector for you.
https://www.frontrunneroutfitters.com/en/us/table-brackets-for-mki-table-incl-latch-rrac097.html

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Alright folks, I finally got around to installing my tire carrier. Special thanks to everyone in the R50 Tire Carrier Mod: Lets Settle This! post. I thoroughly went through that and studied everything in preparation for this.

Special tools I picked up include the following:

First step was to mock up the carrier to get an idea of where the lower mounting hardware needed to be bolted.
Kd7xVAz.jpg

Then I took off the bumper to check to see if there were the OEM cutout locations-
GP6wwGG.jpg

Indeed there were cutouts! I used a hot X-acto blade to easily trim out the holes.
Hq3uM38.jpg
mXhtL2Y.jpg

At this point I wanted to get the lower latch hardware finished first so I can use it to hold the carrier while I do the hinge portion. I trimmed 1" off one side of the 1.5" angle aluminum, that way it can tuck under toward the vehicle a bit. 
QttPq2D.jpg
kSDrP7x.jpg

I tested the rivnuts, seem to work well!
GtKHnMJ.jpg

I transferred my hardware marks from the metal bumper to my aluminum and used a step bit to drill out the holes, then finished them to the rivnut size of 13.5mm (17/32") using a hard-to-find bit. Both the M8 and M10 required the same hole size.
gQR5VXI.jpg

I drilled two small holes to temporarily rivet the aluminum to the vehicle, then used the holes I drilled in the aluminum to drill the holes in the bumper for the rivnuts. 
CKF52fR.jpg

The aluminum was then removed and the rivnuts were installed-
qLusReU.jpg

Then the aluminum went back on. The rivnuts have a washer-head that's larger than the hole, so when you put the aluminum back on it sandwiches the rivnut. I drilled out a bunch of holes and installed rivets to hold it in place. Took no time at all.
KOlTlJP.jpg

From here it was as simple as bolting on all the lower hardware. Note: unlike some, I did not have the swing gate door ajar sensor wiring left in the bumper. 
84EEsTX.jpg

Hinge time. I put some protective tape down and removed the inner plastic trim to get access to behind the vehicle skin-
LP3DKJo.jpg
S2duW3m.jpg

With the carrier mounted up, locked into the lower latch, I marked out my hole locations. Using pilot holes, I started with the ones I could reach with the carrier closed. Lots of removing, testing, drilling, removing, looking, etc. Eventually I got enough holes in to start the rivnuts. 

The most aft two holes on each hinge are in very difficult to reach locations, I opted to just rivnut those.
8i5k3jo.jpg

kvKjZpK.jpg

The side holes are accessable relatively easily from the inside so I fished nylocks with washers onto those.
i5GEY7j.jpg

Fully assembled! I have a license plate bracket + light combo in the mail. I think I'll use the rivnut gun again and mount it on the hatch to the driver's side of the tire carrier.
GYpppq1.jpg
9uc6YFb.jpg

And of course, a tribute to the ruster that I pulled the carrier from:
NwGRyRc.jpg

Junkyard bonus stuff- Got these 5' long Yakima crossbars with mounts that work on the OEM Pathfinder rails. Here I am testing them on a junker:
uPio6zn.jpg

Also scored me one of them fancy string dampers for the glove box.
dyTjLEY.jpg

Edited by zakzackzachary
  • Like 8

Looks awesome, I’m very jealous of those who can find the elusive spare tire carrier! I keep looking around here but none to be found yet. 

• Like 1

Great idea with nut and washer. Turned out really well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

My parents came down to visit me and we decided on a little camping/kayaking adventure in the Olympics. The Pathfinder was loaded up with enough gear for 4 adults, one dog, and two kayaks. The vehicle worked great! I'm definitely itching to do some more updates/upgrades, trying to hold off until fall and winter though.

Parents next to the load out!

rJY5PhH.jpg

Getting up to elevation.

7naaun5.jpg

Cool side view. Tire carrier + heavy drawers (need to rebuild) + gear and the truck levels out. I'd like to lift the rear up more to compensate.

TSTDIpm.jpg

At camp.

mwtve50.jpg

hpQnNcN.jpg

It was fun to see the Pathfinder loaded out! I enjoy these short trips because it helps me practice planning/packing for future trips.

Edited by zakzackzachary
  • Like 6

haha those hatch struts also saved me many headaches.....the little things

On 1/31/2019 at 8:33 PM, zakzackzachary said:

Installed new hatch struts, such a nice upgrade and now I get around +1.5" of height to help reduce forehead damage!

vrlDutZ.jpg

Decided to do the mud flap trim and removed the side steps. If I regret it I'll get some Rally Armor blanks and throw 'em on, but for now I kinda like the look. Truck is a trail rig so a little dirt damage'll be okay. Side steps might end up going back on since they're handy, I just wanted to see what they'd look like. Looks like it'd be easy to fab up some DIY sliders one day.

WVpAuLH.jpg

8evC7uD.jpg

GT5AC0W.jpg

YGd2g3x.jpg

WANrM2L.jpg

Got handy with some wire brushes and a pressure washer, then hit a bunch of the rear with some Rustoleum style paint. Didn't really have any rust tbh, but with the new LR Defender springs in the rear I was tired of looking at a dirty axle!

YEUyxY3.jpg

I've got my mind on tires now as the ones on it are kinda old. Based on my research and OEM rim style I'm thinking of going with 260/70R16 (30.3x10.2R16) as that seems to have worked for user erathge. Sound good?

On 6/12/2019 at 12:16 AM, PATHYNDH said:

haha those hatch struts also saved me many headaches.....the little things

I wish there was a solution to push the hatch up higher though! I don't know if we can though without more interference.