zakzackzachary's 2000 R50 new to PNW from AK

zakzackzachary

Completed a pretty major maintenance milestone on Friday.

1. timing belt
  2. water pump
  3. passenger camshaft seal
  4. crankshaft seal
  5. harmonic balancer (crankshaft pulley)
  6. thermostat
  7. passenger side valve cover gasket (I'd like to do driver's, but there's so much sh*t on top of it... on the to-do list)
  8. sparkplugs
  9. that hidden little 90* coolant bypass hose, and a few other misc coolant hoses
  10. fresh new coolant

I basically followed this 1A Auto YouTube video for the timing belt, and referenced another one for the little water pump excursion. There were a couple other misc YouTube videos I referenced for the crank/cam seals.

I labeled everything as I took it apart with masking tape/a number, and then wrote down the number and what it went to. That made reassembly at the end brainless and quick. Honestly, the timing belt looks fine. Who knows when it was last replaced, but at least now I know for sure. The sparkplugs were the worst as you'll see below. Started up fine and so far no leaks, seems to be running great!

Took me about 10 hours to do all this including maybe 2hrs of parts runs and Googlin' things. Now on to more funsie projects.

Everything off including camshaft sprokets and wanter pump-

4mKqWd7.jpg

New timing belt and water pump-

8z71Axt.jpg

I've never seen sparkplugs so worn down, all six were like this. Honestly easy to replace, I used tape to hold my extensions together, just that last back sparkplug.....

aBszrq2.jpg

• Like 3

Went out for a little drive today and explored some new little hideouts. I'm now experiencing a new little problem (see below).

gwFWH84.jpg

When attempting to accelerate, uphill (under load), the RPMs will stall out around 2000rpm and either not increase, or struggle to increase. Depressing the accelerator pedal more can cause the RPMs to then jump to around 3000 and increase/drive like normal. The symptoms are a rough/intermittent stutter that pops every few seconds as it struggles to increase in RPM. 

No CEL (MIL), but I pulled the codes- P0302 (cyl 2 misfire) and P0325 (knock sensor). I cleared them and now need to go for another little drive to see if they throw again. They could be old...

KRGGPwp.jpg

Well I fixed it. My new #2 spark plug had a gnarly crack going down two sides. Bought a new plug and it works great now. Glad it was a $2 fix!

Edited by zakzackzachary
  • Like 2

Alright boys, it's happening!

y29WP62.jpg

I scored the tire carrier off a 97 along with what might be an aftermarket trailer receiver hitch. Everything came off super easy other than one of the receiver bolts. Man was that difficult... Anyway, I grabbed all the associated rear tire carrier hardware and bolts. One thing I forgot to do was take a template of the existing holes, but I'll figure it out. Definitely excited, not much rust at all once I scrubbed it down. I'll be painting it and then step 1 of the install will be to fab up a reinforced latch area on the bumper a la Hawarish style. I'll probably go rivnuts to mount everything unless my machinist buddy doesn't let me. 

I'll also be fabbing up a jerrycan holder and of course something to mount the license plate to. Has anyone mounted a high-lift? We'll be building sliders soon so a high-lift will be doable.

NwGRyRc.jpg

afFPX3C.jpg

FwvwJYw.jpg

Edited by zakzackzachary
  • Like 2

Tomorrow I’m checking Hi-Lift mounting on[mention=37543]TowndawgR50[/mention] rig. I’m mocking up a horizontal carrier which I’m dubious will work because of the handle. When it doesn’t he’s going to weld on a vertical Hi-Lift carrier from a Jeep just lateral to the Jerry can carrier. It should look something like this:b5f428dd7f134682b9cf3137b46b3e6a.jpgb1f462ac912b7d85fdfa212774877098.jpg

Really, just welding two bolts on in the same area or bar adapted mounts could work too though with welded bolts I’d worry about fatigue over time.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, RainGoat said:

Tomorrow I’m checking Hi-Lift mounting on @TowndawgR50 rig. I’m mocking up a horizontal carrier which I’m dubious will work because of the handle. When it doesn’t he’s going to weld on a vertical Hi-Lift carrier from a Jeep just lateral to the Jerry can carrier. It should look something like this:

Really, just welding two bolts on in the same area or bar adapted mounts could work too though with welded bolts I’d worry about fatigue over time.

I see, seems easy enough. Looks like this is the one you have, but there are many other options out there as well. The high-lift is a future thing so I'll plan to leave room for mounting one and in the mean time keep an eye out for a pre-built vertical carrier. 

Today I'm going to disassemble, clean, and then lightly sand down and clean up the new pieces and then maybe hit them with a coat of matte black to seal them in. 

Edited by zakzackzachary

After playing around with it, we’re going to adapt a horizontal carrier. The vertical carrier would work but the top third of the HiLift sticks out from the trucks profile & I’m worried about it catching branches. In a Jeep it sits behind their square silhouette but the taper on our trucks, which works so well to fit it n tight spaces, just doesn’t offer it protection. I definitely don’t want to lever on the swingate.

• Like 1

Trip Report - Quilcene

Went on a quick little spring exploration mission. Didn't have high hopes of any elevation since we had a pretty heavy snowfall recently so I planned some lowland stuff. Ended up being much drier than I anticipated so I made a run for an old firewatch location out near Quilcene. Towards the top I had to cable-up to get through some deeper snow in the shadows, but honestly it wasn't anything too nasty. Minimal to no snow (other than ~6-12" in shadows) all the way to the top at about 3200' of elevation. Overall I found a couple decent campsites, cruised some easy backroads, and checked some gates/dead-ends off my list so I know not to waste my time in the future!

I use GaiaGPS to plan and track all my trips.

c8pg8RR.jpg

DUTDdNV.jpg

HB6EEoD.jpg

I'm definitely getting my rhythm down. Work gloves with latex gloves inside help keep my hands happy while chaining. A pad to kneel on helps a lot as well.

• Like 3

On 3/10/2019 at 8:36 AM, zakzackzachary said:

Completed a pretty major maintenance milestone on Friday.

1. timing belt
  2. water pump
  3. passenger camshaft seal
  4. crankshaft seal
  5. harmonic balancer (crankshaft pulley)
  6. thermostat
  7. passenger side valve cover gasket (I'd like to do driver's, but there's so much sh*t on top of it... on the to-do list)
  8. sparkplugs
  9. that hidden little 90* coolant bypass hose, and a few other misc coolant hoses
  10. fresh new coolant

I basically followed this 1A Auto YouTube video for the timing belt, and referenced another one for the little water pump excursion. There were a couple other misc YouTube videos I referenced for the crank/cam seals.

I labeled everything as I took it apart with masking tape/a number, and then wrote down the number and what it went to. That made reassembly at the end brainless and quick. Honestly, the timing belt looks fine. Who knows when it was last replaced, but at least now I know for sure. The sparkplugs were the worst as you'll see below. Started up fine and so far no leaks, seems to be running great!

Took me about 10 hours to do all this including maybe 2hrs of parts runs and Googlin' things. Now on to more funsie projects.

Everything off including camshaft sprokets and wanter pump-

4mKqWd7.jpg

New timing belt and water pump-

8z71Axt.jpg

I've never seen sparkplugs so worn down, all six were like this. Honestly easy to replace, I used tape to hold my extensions together, just that last back sparkplug.....

aBszrq2.jpg

when i changed mine at 216,000 they looked even worse. the electrodes were burnt down to nubs. pretty sure they were the originals! lol. not sure how it even ran

• Like 1

Trip Report - Quilcene
Work gloves with latex gloves inside help keep my hands happy while chaining.

A pad to kneel on helps a lot as well.

Keeping your hands dry with latex gloves is a pro move!

I’ve started grabbing my wife’s gardening work pads & it sure is better if your on your knees for a bit.

On 3/25/2019 at 6:57 PM, RainGoat said:

I’ve started grabbing my wife’s gardening work pads & it sure is better if your on your knees for a bit.

Every time you go out you learn a little more to make your trips better! It's part of the fun of it :D

• Like 1

TheSmokingTire- new development, after driving approximately 40 minutes at 50-60 mph a melting plastic sound was smelled and then it was noticed that the front passenger wheel was smoking pretty good. Pulled over, removed the wheel, and inspected. I hit it with a laser thermometer and compared different parts to the driver's side, it was definitely reading hotter by about 30%. I thought maybe bearing or sticking caliper.

Got it home, tore the wheel hub and pulled the inner/outer bearings. They seemed alright, no burnt grease, cleaned it out and put in new grease, then closed it up (easy to access btw). The caliper itself is acting slower when compared to the driver's side and the piston boot looks a little questionable.

I ordered a new caliper and am going to throw some new pads on. We'll see if that fixes the issue...

On 4/4/2019 at 12:44 PM, micahfelker said:

Not sure why I never saw this thread, awesome writeup man, and AMAZING pictures!! My folks live in Woodinville so I'm over in the area quite a bit if you ever want to go wheelin!

Thanks Micah! I got the thread moved over from the New People Start Here! section, might get a few fresh eyes! It would be cool to get together, I'm going to be out goofin' around all summer so PM me if you're ever in the area, there's quite a few Seattle-area NPORA members. 

Been a while since I've posted an update-

After the little smoking tire incident I pulled apart the wheel hub and inspected the inner/outer bearings. They seemed alright so I re-greased them and re-assembled. Next up was brake caliper. I ended up ordering two new calipers and replaced the fronts. 

Kt7oNaC.jpg

I bled the brake system per FSM (5 bleeders including LSV) and so far everything seems to be running well! I pulled a 3rd OEM crossbar to help support my rack in the middle along with another set of the ROLA clamps to go with it. 

urS8ZSz.jpg

ZwKoqQd.jpg

b2mFRs8.jpg

I also picked up a ROLA roof bag which should work fantastic to hold a bunch of misc gear! I'm looking forward to testing this thing out.

kyO9Caa.jpg

Bonus, I finally bit the bullet and picked up some Kayaks from Costco. Got some cheap antlers mounts, but they'll probably go on our other vehicle since the Pathfinder's basket doesn't have crossbars as easily accessible. Makes for a fun photo though!

0UGgAib.jpg

• Like 1

c1aaae555dd639705bd3a11aeb315081.jpg

I wouldn’t bother with those kayak mounts. The Rola rack you’ve got is great at hauling kayaks! Pretty much the only thing I ever use my rack for is carrying kayaks. The main reason I bought the rola rack is so I could put 3 of them on the roof at once. I’ve had two on the roof back and forth to glacier a few times and took 2 all the way to Canada as well, so you shouldn’t have any problems going anywhere with them up there. Just invest 5 bucks on one of those 4 packs of ratchet straps at Walmart and you’ll be good to go!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Haha 1

I’ve hauled river & sea kayaks for decades. All you really need is 2 bars & cam straps. I used to set my load bars at the farthest forward & rearward (the ROLA is close to that though I don’t think the curved bars are as good as straight). I’ve hauled two 16’ boats all over the country & on week long trips through rough AZ backcountry.

I strongly recommend cam straps over ratchet straps. The key to cam straps is to stop after driving 10-15” & give them a tug to get the last slack out of them. They’ll hold immense weight in lumber & high resistance items as well. The problem with ratchet straps is their mechanical leverage can give you too much pull & damage your truck or what your carrying - they simply aren’t necessary. I’ve definitely seen people do damage with them.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, micahfelker said:

I wouldn’t bother with those kayak mounts. The Rola rack you’ve got is great at hauling kayaks! Pretty much the only thing I ever use my rack for is carrying kayaks. The main reason I bought the rola rack is so I could put 3 of them on the roof at once. I’ve had two on the roof back and forth to glacier a few times and took 2 all the way to Canada as well, so you shouldn’t have any problems going anywhere with them up there. Just invest 5 bucks on one of those 4 packs of ratchet straps at Walmart and you’ll be good to go!

Yeah if I use the PF I'll probably just do what you did! No problemo!

10 hours ago, RainGoat said:

I’ve hauled river & sea kayaks for decades. All you really need is 2 bars & cam straps. I used to set my load bars at the farthest forward & rearward (the ROLA is close to that though I don’t think the curved bars are as good as straight). I’ve hauled two 16’ boats all over the country & on week long trips through rough AZ backcountry.

I strongly recommend cam straps over ratchet straps. The key to can straps is to stop after driving 10-15” & give them a tug to get the last slack out of them. They’ll hold immense weight in lumber & high resistance items as well. The problem with ratchet straps is their mechanical leverage can give you too much pull & damage your truck or what your carrying - they simply aren’t necessary. I’ve definitely seen people do damage with them.

You're on point, I already have some cam straps so I'll probably just use those. Now if the weather would just clear up again...

I just posted some old pics of me on a 4 day off-road trip in AZ with 2 sea kayaks on my roof. (raing0at on IG). You can see the simple mounting I did with my load bars & cam straps. After the 10 minute shakedown retensioning those things stayed on like glue, despite seeing some fairly rough terrain & alot of miles. I literally have decades of experience doing this with canoes, river kayaks, & sea kayaks on assorted cars with Yakima bars & trucks. Despite potential concerns, I’ve never seen hull deformation in these thermoplastic boats, even with up to a week strapped down tight in the AZ sun.

I do like the cam straps with pads under the mechanism for my boats & these days there are even locking straps - I always used a cable lock through the locking loops on the boats & under my bars.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, RainGoat said:

I just posted some old pics of me on a 4 day off-road trip in AZ with 2 sea kayaks on my roof. (raing0at on IG). You can see the simple mounting I did with my load bars & cam straps. After the 10” retensioning those things stayed on like glue despite seeing some fairly rough terrain & alot of miles. I literally have decades of experience doing this with canoes, river kayaks, sea kayaks & assorted cars with Yakima bars & trucks. Despite potential concerns, I’ve never seen hull deformation in these thermoplastic boats, even with up to week strapped down tight in the AZ sun.

I do like the cam straps with pads under the mechanism for my boats & these days there are even locking straps - I always used a cable lock through the locking loops on the boats & under my bars.

Raingoat you live in AZ too....or just visiting? 

I've been lazy lately, but I'm finally moving forward with the rear tire carrier! I ordered rivnuts and bolts from McMaster (hopefully shipping isn't outrageous since they don't tell you what it'll be...), my current game plan is to go with rivnuts in the hard to reach spots, and either a metal plate+washer+nuts or larger fender washer+nuts (nylock). I'll update when I get around to doing it.

Here's a fun little update- me and some friends went out and were just doing some trail driving. Found a little hilly challenge and decided to give it a go. Definitely steeper than it looks in the video! Pathfinder made it up just fine :)

Also, slightly off topic, but kayaking went great:

sfOkQuk.jpg

• Like 4

Knocked out about 560 miles round trip on a long drive down to the Columbia River Gorge. Kicked it around Hood River before heading up into the mountains on the Washington side to camp for the night. Dropped down to 34*F overnight, ouch! It'll be nice when the weather warms up.

uA7sWH7.jpg

Here you can see the high-tech branch deflection device I turned my fold out table into. The path to this campsite was covered in lots of low hanging branches and they were getting caught on my new bag. The rest of the car is definitely SCRATCH CITY, but that's what I got it for!

BGlw0tk.jpg

Xlh59c2.jpg

v2fFa0e.jpg

And next to a modern Pathfinder-

SJ6kYG1.jpg

Got home and had to pressure wash the mud off! One of the puddles I splashed through must have had a bunch of horse manure in it... :P

BaiNQfO.jpg

Edited by zakzackzachary
  • Like 6