Brake Light LED Conversion: Red or White

RainGoat

When changing out brake lights, have people used white LEDs or red LEDs? What effect did the two have? Since the lenses on the rear lights & the 3rd brake light are all red I was wondering if red LEDs just produce darker red brake lights? Is the brightness of the LED offset by the dimness of a red LED behind a red lens? 
Consequently, should one go with a white (6000K) LED that will be brighter but tinted red by the lens?  Or will this produce a red that is faded to pink by the brightness of the white?  
I'm looking at these for the rear lights & any number of options for the 198 bulbs in the 3rd Brake Light (there are 9 bulbs there).
I have a problem...Every time DDM comes out with a new reverse light LED I have to get it. It started with the 5W cree which is a great LED but every time they come out with a brighter one I want need it.
www.ddmtuning.com

If you match the led color to the lens color you’ll get a mor brighter vibrant color. I did this using amber leds in an Amber housing and it looked way better than the white led in the Amber. Same will go for red. You just need to have a high lumin led for it to work properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RainGoat said:
When changing out brake lights, have people used white LEDs or red LEDs? What effect did the two have? Since the lenses on the rear lights & the 3rd brake light are all red I was wondering if red LEDs just produce darker red brake lights? Is the brightness of the LED offset by the dimness of a red LED behind a red lens? 
Consequently, should one go with a white (6000K) LED that will be brighter but tinted red by the lens?  Or will this produce a red that is faded to pink by the brightness of the white?  
I'm looking at these for the rear lights & any number of options for the 198 bulbs in the 3rd Brake Light (there are 9 bulbs there).
I have a problem...Every time DDM comes out with a new reverse light LED I have to get it. It started with the 5W cree which is a great LED but every time they come out with a brighter one I want need it.
www.ddmtuning.com

I'm using the same color LED bulbs as the lens cover. I have red LED's for brake lights, amber for signals and white for back ups. They are much brighter than the stock bulbs for sure

• Like 1

I'm using the same color LED bulbs as the lens cover. I have red LED's for brake lights, amber for signals and white for back ups. They are much brighter than the stock bulbs for sure
Same here

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Thanks everybody.@Astrorami just did all of this & lives near DDM Tuning to boot. He graciously called me & we chatted for over an hour with several interesting pearls of wisdom, including some product specific info. Once I get around to installing everything I’ll try to get back & post a summary of our experience.

• Like 1