Trailer Hitch Kit

SCJax2018

Where can I find a trailer hitch kit for my 1996 Pathfinder that is reasonably priced? Also, because I have never bought an actual kit before, what is a fair price for one? Ones I have been finding on line have been averaging $130 on up.

This is one I have been eye on,

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Nissan/Pathfinder/1996/13088.html?vehicleid=1996997203

Check other major outlets including uhaul, along with smaller local shops like RV part & service dealers, custom fab shops, etc.  Many, including myself, bought ours from wrecking yards. I think I paid 40 or 50 bucks for mine.

Also ask yourself what your expecting to get when you say "kit". You'll need a a ball mount and wiring kit as well for your Pathfinder unless it already has it installed. You'll also need the correct size ball if you intend to tow a trailer with it. Check the trailer to find out the exact size ball you need. If you need to wiring, there is a topic here covering that install.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, RedPath88 said:

Also ask yourself what your expecting to get when you say "kit". You'll need a a ball mount and wiring kit as well for your Pathfinder unless it already has it installed. You'll also need the correct size ball if you intend to tow a trailer with it. Check the trailer to find out the exact size ball you need. If you need to wiring, there is a topic here covering that install.

Glad you mentioned wiring because it totally slipped my mind. Obviously I have to have at least brake lights and turn signals. I have 2 inch Reese hitch stuff running out my ears, but need the receiver on the car.

Edited by SCJax2018
Narrowing to exact quote

I got my trailer wiring kit from eTrailer for about 30 bucks and it worked well.  Simple 4-pin setup.

https://www.etrailer.com/t1-2002_Infiniti_QX4.htm

I used a Curt trailer hitch I got off Amazon, but honestly you'd be better off price wise finding one at a local u-pull junkyard.

• Like 2

If you are going to be pulling something particularly heavy, consider the OEM hitch as it has longer bars bolting in multiple places on the truck. Probably not important with a light load but nice for recovery purposes. The OEM has a nice step on it as well. Definitely see if f you can score it from a junkyard@gspeed151 only paid ~$50 for one. Mine has ridden 16!years without problem. I had it off for the first time this year & went ahead & did a quick spray paint job on it. Looks as good as new-you should be able to touch up a JY unit the same way.

• Like 1