Cargo area interior light flashing

colinnwn

My cargo area interior light doesn't come on initially, and only flashes when I open the tail gate, unless I stick my finger in the lock assembly in the tail gate and jiggle the latch around. Looking at the parts breakdown it looks like the switch isn't separately serviceable, and you have to replace the $180 tail gate lock assembly 90330-0W010.

Has anyone else had this problem and figured out how to either replace the switch only, or clean it up enough that it continued to work? It seems ridiculous that you have to replace this whole part for what is a $2 switch, and you can get equivalent passenger door replacement switches for $15.

Thanks

I doubt there is any chance. The light flickers in time with me jiggling the latch plate inside of the locking mechanism. But when I get the plastic interior panel off and the locking mechanism is visible, I will look around.

I had the exact problem with the driver rear door, and a new door switch fixed it.

Now I just have to figure out how to get the plastic panel off without damaging it. I don't see any screws or pop points.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Yeah I thought the $15 door switch was fine.

The $180 latch replacement irked me for a cheap and what reasonably should be serviceable part.

I do think I found the latch for $100 direct from Japan.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

The latch-mounted switch didn't work on my '95 either. The assembly wasn't built to come apart for cleaning, and I was surprised at how hokey the actual switch was once I got it open. I didn't have the tools I have now so there wasn't much I could do with it. I ended up rewiring the cargo light to the switch for the tire carrier (for the idiot light on the dash), but I'm guessing your '01 doesn't have one of those. There might be a good spot on the body to drill a hole and mount a generic door switch, or maybe you could fab some kind of bracket to add a proper switch to Nissan's hokey solution.