What's easier to swap into an 02, an 01 or an 03 VQ 35?

IRONFIST

So I'm doing a JDM engine swap on my 02, with an 03 engine,  I know I'll have to replace the front timing cover, crank pulley, flex plate, crankshaft position sensor, cam shaft sensors, cam gears, and upper oil pan.   I also have access to a 01 engine with similar mileage and my buddy thinks that one will make my swap easier.  I feel like I'll still have to swap all that stuff over anyway?  But I don't know, so we are asking the experts.  What's your guys expert opinion? What one will be easier? 

Edited by IRONFIST

I initially responded to stick with 01, but I guess if you carry over enough from your 02, the other ought to work. Just keep in mind 03-04 is drive-by-wire. 

Edited by hawairish
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, hawairish said:

I initially responded to stick with 01, but I guess if you carry over enough from your 02, the other ought to work. Just keep in mind 03-04 is drive-by-wire.  

The thing is, both are JDM engines and both are low miles, the 03 has about 25000 less miles but if it makes my life easier I can always directly trade my 03 for the 01.

Edited by IRONFIST

11 hours ago, jjonez said:

Can the cable throttle be used on an 03 in place of drive by wire? I'm under the impression that by 03 the VQ was generally improved upon since 01. Lower miles is nice too.

Yeah, actually the whole intake manifold can swap over too  ( if needed ) but I noticed that it will bolt on.  I think you're right, better to go with the newer, nicer, and lower mileage engine. It really won't take me longer then 2 hours to swap everything over while sipping on some beers and taking my sweet time.

I'd be most paranoid about how well each engine was maintained previously.  If it were me I would remove things like valve/timing covers and the oil pan and just compare the two visually for oil sludge and whatnot.

I've never done an engine swap though, just a disclaimer!

• Like 2

On 11/22/2018 at 9:41 AM, jjonez said:

I'd be most paranoid about how well each engine was maintained previously.  If it were me I would remove things like valve/timing covers and the oil pan and just compare the two visually for oil sludge and whatnot.

I've never done an engine swap though, just a disclaimer!

That's how I am too, but for some people it's probably best they don't rip it apart.  Unless you know what you're doing you're more likely to mess something up putting it back together than you are finding something wrong in the first place. 

That's how I am too, but for some people it's probably best they don't rip it apart.  Unless you know what you're doing you're more likely to mess something up putting it back together than you are finding something wrong in the first place. 

Make sure you do the oilpan gasket and rear seal while the engine is OUT or leave it completely alone.  I am having to go back and and drop the subframe just to get the oil pan out.  Not a huge deal, but a DOH! moment when you realize the engine was on a stand several months ago.  USE THE FSM FOR THE OIL PAN GASKET!! FOLLOW IT TO THE LETTER!