Brake and alternator warning lights

colinnwn

So I jumped in my truck to go to the Red Bull Air Race. It started fine, but the brake and alternator lights stayed on. Also I have a Scan Gauge that didn't turn on. When I turned the truck off, then the Scan Gauge came on for a moment as it normally stays on for a bit when you turn off the vehicle.

It has a 1 year old rebuilt original Hitachi alternator. I didn't get any other lights including no check engine light.

When I get back if the OBD port still isn't producing power, I'm not sure how to check for codes, if there is a OBD reader that doesn't require power, or if I'd need to use the ECU service mode.

I guess the next step is to do an alternator test. But it is a huge bear to remove for an off vehicle test.

Does anyone have other ideas to check first?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I don't know about Nissans, but the late 80's early 90's Mazda B-2200 would do that occasionally and what you had to do is disconnect the battery cable for 15 minutes and then reconnect and start the engine without pressing the gas and let idle for five minutes. I had to do that a few times with my old Mazda B-2200. It may be the same deal with the Nissans, but I'm not sure because I'm not too up on Nissans.

I got home, added brake fluid but it was almost full, checked the battery terminals were tight, checked the alternator fuse which was fine, checked the voltage at rest which was 12.3v, and then started it up. Of course it didn't do it again and the voltage running was 14.4v. So it's probably an intermittent fault that will go at an inopportune time.

I think it is likely the voltage regulator going, or I noticed the wires on the field plug on the alternator were tight the last time I replaced it, I hope they aren't breaking loose.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk