Recovery points

KiwiTerrano

I've been working on a little project over the past two days - namely fitting rated recovery hooks to the front of my Terrano. This project was done to bridge the gap until if/when I get around to fitting a bullbar. 

The mounts are constructed out of 6 mm angle iron, 125x75x6 mm. I purchased a 1.2 m length for $13NZ. Very cheap. 

Next, I traced the standard tie down loop pattern onto the side of it and drilled it to fit. 

I then fitted it with the 125 mm section facing up vertically, and the 75 mm section out laterally, on which I have mounted the recovery hooks. 

To brace the bottom, I have cut a section of 6 mm plate and braced it to the original bolt hole on the bottom of the radiator support. 

I also plan to cut a section of 50x50x5 mm angle iron to brace the front of my radiator support. 

Pictures will follow. 

• Like 3

6 mm plate steel is tough stuff to cut and drill. These points are a bit over-engineered IMO.

Cutting & drilling:

2uojj1w.jpg

The finished pieces:

hsopqv.jpg

Pieced together as they will be installed:

6rud6g.jpg

Will fit them tomorrow morning and take some pics then.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, AlabamaDan said:

Nice looking job.  I'd love to do that on my QX4.

Wasn't expensive. Total cost $45NZ (after selling my leftover metal back to the scrappie haha). Although I did use a number of tools etc my father and I have collected over the years eg high-speed drill, bits, jigsaw, and a bench grinder with wire wheel.

4 minutes ago, RainGoat said:

Just be careful of lateral snatches. Also, making a bridle that runs straight from one to the other has been known to crunch the radiator support

Yes, yes it has... my truck is a prime example of that. Lateral snatches should be okay with this design as it's braced underneath at 90 degrees. I've already bent my radiator support getting snatched around a corner from this situation using a bridle...

If you look at the points closely, you'll see they don't quite point straight - I calculated the angle at which my 4 metre long bridle will sit at, and mounted the points at this angle to further reduce the inwards force on the lower rad support. As well, the front of my skidplate (4 mm alloy) mounts on the lower rad support with 4 bolts to further support it.

2jbv96c.jpg

I'm going to brace the radiator support between the two lower bolts with a section of 50x50x5 mm angle iron I'm getting from a mate to stop it bending any more. However, I'm currently in Dunedin so it'll have to wait until I get back to Christchurch.

Edited by KiwiTerrano
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/11/2018 at 9:57 PM, RainGoat said:

Just be careful of lateral snatches. Also, making a bridle that runs straight from one to the other has been known to crunch the radiator support

Could a brace be inserted between the rails to strengthen that?  I know in the Jeep XJ community folks are often finding ways to reinforce the uniframe.

Could a brace be inserted between the rails to strengthen that?  I know in the Jeep XJ community folks are often finding ways to reinforce the uniframe.

Greater minds than mine are thinking about that. I know it’s a consideration@hawairish &@TowndawgR50 have been taking into account in their bumper & bracket designs.
  • Like 1

On 12/3/2018 at 1:57 PM, AlabamaDan said:

Yes, I intend to brace the radiator support, would not be difficult at all.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Hey @KiwiTerrano, do you still happen to have the photos of these recovery hooks? If so could you please upload them again?

I'm keen to look at fabricating some but I'm a visual kinda person haha. I'm sure others would benefit from seeing them too!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MTGunner said:

Has the stay at home order been lifted in NZ? Can you travel to where ever you want to keep from going stir crazy? 

We're going to level 3 (which is pretty much level 4 with UberEats) on Tuesday. Then to Level 2, which allows restricted domestic travel, in a further fortnight.

As a practicing doctor at a New Zealand hospital, frankly I am very grateful for the lockdown. If not for Ardern's quick response, we would be in dire straights currently, I think (based off what's happened in the UK, US, Italy etc).

Anyhow, unfortunately I lost the progress shots off my old phone when it broke, but I have a few later shots I took.

Essentially the hooks were mounted to 6x150x75 mm angle iron, drilled to fit the factory mounts on the side of the chassis, with an additional 6 mm plate underneath to the radiator support, so the hooks bolted to 12 mm of steel.

I used grade 8.8 M10 bolts torqued to the correct spec (43 Nm) to mount to the chassis. The hooks themselves use grade 8.8 M12 bolts, which I torqued to the correct 78 Nm.

The design and build is very strong, much stronger than what the mounts are bolted to.

I would however recommend putting a single piece of angle iron across the lower radiator support to brace it, instead of two individual plates, one either side like I did.

I bent my lower rad support doing a big pull with a bridle, and a front lower brace would have prevented this.

vOmYP7e.jpg

The iron is oriented so the 150 mm side points up. The 75 mm side points out horizontally and the hook bolts to this.

The lateral bracing plate sits underneath the 75 mm side, and connects the hook bolts to the lower radiator support captive nut where the factory hooks bolt onto it.

The lateral bracing plate should not be built in this manner - rather it should be constructed out of a single piece of plate or angle iron to tie both sides together and brace the lower rad support across its full width.

Uxws8qF.jpg

cDtkd1t.jpg

It looks so shiny in this picture because it had just been returned from the panelbeater after someone backed into it outside my house and destroyed the front right corner...

Edited by KiwiTerrano
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1