Magnetic Oil Plugs

AlabamaDan

What do y'all think about magnetic oil plugs?  I hear some people say that filters take care of everything or if they were good then they would come as OE.  On the other side are people saying that filters only catch particles over a certain size.  As for manufactures installing them as OE, it's really not in a manufacturer's best interest to build an engine that last forever is it.

https://www.drainplugmagnets.com/nissaninfiniti.php

The only negatives I could find were related to cheap crush washers failing resulting in plugs falling out and catastrophic engine failure but the website you linked looks like they don’t sell cheap plugs.

I’d say go for it but be cautious and check the thing for tightness often until it’s proven itself not to come loose.

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, adamzan said:

It certainly wouldn't hurt anything. I have one of those fumoto valves on mine. It's nice not needing any tools to change the oil

I was thinking about a Fumotomo valve as well, but then I wondered if it would be better to have the magnet to catch particles.

Probably wouldn't hurt anything more than the wallet to have a magnetic drain plug, but most of the oil filters I've used in my trucks already have magnets in them.  Even without a magnet, I've come this far with various vehicles and it's never been an issue.  I've got a Fumoto valve, too, and I'd rather have it over a magnet.  Even then, you could make one of those for well under $35.

You can get those Gold Plugs for $19, I have them in 2 vehicles, a Fumato on another & an old Fram Sure Drain (SD-3) for my Path. The quick drains are nice but I worry about them on an off road vehicle if it doesn’t have skids, also, it’s not like undoing a drain plug is hard. I can’t say I’ve ever really seen anything on the magnets but they were only $19. I didn’t even know oil filters might have magnets in them (I’m going to have to look into that-that’s definitely the way to do it-definitely would make a plug redundant). Finally, there are cheap pot metal magnetic plugs out there-don’t get those. The Gold Plug is decent quality.

• Like 1

None of the engine oil filters I've taken apart had magnets in them. A magnetic plug shouldn't hurt anything (so long as the body of it isn't made of cheese) but yeah, not sure how much good it'll do unless the engine's eating itself. Might buy you a little time if something does go sideways, though.

• Like 1

The filters I’ve had with magnets just have them attached at the bottom, on the inside, visible by looking in. Don’t recall the brand(s), since lately I just grab whatever satisfies the local deals for synthetics. The spare filter I’ve got doesn’t have it. 

When you do have skids, the valve means you don’t have to remove them (well...still gotta remove the fronts). Although I’ve made my skids that much easier to remove, it’s still one less thing to bother with. (Though, I only change my oil once a year, occasional top-offs...the only way it gets easier than that is to simply not change it.) 

• Like 1

But seriously, if you want to make a magnetic drain plug, just buy a neodymium magnet with a small diameter...1/4” would be fine. Drill a 1/4” hole at the end of the bolt, some distance less that the height of the magnet, then stick the magnet in, maybe with a dab of silicone adhesive or something. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, RainGoat said:

You can get those Gold Plugs for $19, I have them in 2 vehicles, a Fumato on another & an old Fram Sure Drain (SD-3) for my Path. The quick drains are nice but I worry about them on an off road vehicle if it doesn’t have skids, also, it’s not like undoing a drain plug is hard. I can’t say I’ve ever really seen anything on the magnets but they were only $19. I didn’t even know oil filters might have magnets in them (I’m going to have to look into that-that’s definitely the way to do it-definitely would make a plug redundant). Finally, there are cheap pot metal magnetic plugs out there-don’t get those. The Gold Plug is decent quality.

I have the fram sure drain on my other pathy and I've never had an issue on the trails. At least on the WD21 the oil pan is preceded by a crossmember, so that would get hit if anything. I'd be more worried on my Golf as the car is low and they're known for taking out oil pans, just on the street.

Edited by adamzan
  • Like 1