Sway bar size

poachr

Hey everyone, what size are the sway bar's on a 90' se 4x4 ? I need to replace my bushings and looking on line I see 20mm and 23mm sizes? I am looking at going with the energy suspension ones at rockauto.

I just got the rig yesterday and put it in the show and started going through it seeing what all needs overhauling.  

I have also also been researching on changing the timing belt, water pump and cam seals. I was un able to get any info about when the belt had been done, the guy who owned it passed away and the wife didn't know any thing about it other than he had to have the water pump replaced a few years ago. It has 282k on it new starter, fires right up no smoking and runs good, not a rattle or squeak. Jacked it up today and checked the ball joints they seemed good. All of the bushings need replaced though.

I think I used the Moog ones when I did mine. I only see 24mm listed on Rockauto, so I'd assume that's probably right, though you could check the thickness of the bar itself easily enough.

Good to do the belt if you're not sure when it's been done. I did the belt when I got mine just to be on the safe side.

Thanks SBF, it is 24mm I got the energy suspension ones from rockauto.

I'm working my way towards the timing belt, that is going to be a priority just for peace of mind. I don't need the rig so I'm taking my time going through it, lots of cleaning! I pulled the drivers side door panel and cleaned the track and lubed it, the window works better, no more hanging and dragging on the way up. Pulled the instrument cluster and cleaned and inspected. It still has the original electric shocks  and I'm not sure that the "Sport/Touring" is working? The light doesn't illuminate when I select it, I think I might hear a relay click though, not sure about that either. I'm also going to do all the suspension bushings, front and back they all need it, so I have been doing lots of research on here. 

Thanks for the replies and sharing your knowledge and experience I'm sure I will need to rely on it.

where in eastern Wa are you? I live in south eastern Or.

The electrical system for the adjustable shocks worked in mine, but the shocks themselves didn't have much pressure left. If the system's working, you should hear a faint click from each wheel well when pushing the switch one way or the other as the actuators in the shocks open or close the valve inside. I could never tell which mode mine was in while driving it, but the "sport" setting did make it a little tougher to rock the truck when it was parked.

I'm in north central nowhere LOL. Close to Winthrop.

• Like 1

I think I hear the click? I need someone to work the switch while I'm at the shock, getting a little hard of hearing! Did you replace the shocks? Near as I can tell the original type aren't available and if they were I doubt I could afford them! That's down the priority list for now anyway, I am doing the main things first timing belt, water pump and hoses, suspension bushings, and more cleaning!

I purchased the 1995 king cab 4x4 mt from the same lady yesterday, it has 173,000 on it. Same thing with the timing belt no history. When you start it it has a noise in the engine compartment like a belt tensioner, can't really tell for sure but it might be the timing belt one? The truck is straight only bad thing is it's the Nissan purple ? 

Brand new at tires. 

The tensioners in these aren't sprung, though the belt itself can make noise if it's loose. I swapped mine for KYB excel-Gs (non-adjustable). IIRC Adamzan tracked down a set of replacement adjustables for his, though. And yeah, it's a pretty quiet click, especially if you're trying to work the switch and hear the actuators at the same time.

That purple seems to be pretty rare! I guess there's a reason for that.

Hey Raingoat, don’t know about having him beat but I don’t have any traffic problems and I’ll bet SBF doesn’t either. I go in and out of SEA 2-3 times per week when I look down like to night and see all the traffic from OLM to PAE I just think wow glad I don’t have to deal with that every day.

LOL yep, not much traffic out here, except on holiday weekends in the summer when the tourists descend. The rest of the time you're more likely to hit a deer than a traffic jam. I drove to the coast a couple years ago and got to experience I5 during rush hour. :blink: I'm still convinced that the interchange in Olympia was lifted from an MC Escher sketchbook.

• Like 1

As an FYI, a number of us are getting together this coming weekend as hawairish is coming to town. I thought you guys might be too far out to care but maybe not. Do you want to be kept in the loop when we’re doing stuff? I think right now it’s me, ferrariowner123, Pathy_02 & TownDawgR50. Invites extended to Stpickens, micahfelker, bobsterrific, Mr. Jim @ Cam (can’t remember his NPORA handle).

Quick question, should I start separate posts for my Pathfinder questions? I try reading through and searching but sometimes come up short on answers. Like the timing belt, water pump change, should I get one of the all inclusive kits?

I've got stuff to do this weekend as well unfortunately. But yeah, do keep me in the loop! I don't make it over to the wet side often (bit of a trip) but will hopefully be over there at some point next summer.

A new thread might get more eyes. It's been a while but IIRC I used a Gates belt and tensioner and ordered the pump, seals, and bypass hose separately.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so I got the bushings changed in the front sway bar and the lower strut. I used the energy suspension ones from rock auto, wasn't to bad, I heated the ones on the front of the sway bar where they attach to the front cross member. They are pretty stiff so I put them in some hot water for about ten minutes then greased them and was able to get the clamp started over them and then used some vise grips on the side to compress them a little bit and get the bolt started. The ends on the control arms went right in. The drove it Down the road and back and they all settled into place then finished torquing them down. The lower control struts were pretty easy.

i have been slowly receiving my parts timing belt, water pump, hoses, thermostat, tensioner, plugs, wires, cap and rotor so hopefully next week I can get the timing belt job started.

SBF, I was able to get a Chiltons and a Haynes manual from rock auto. They're not the greatest but better than nothing! I also found the Nissan OEM parts web site and they have good diagrams.