Cleaning engine

poachr

Hey everyone, new member and new owner of a 90' se 4x4 mt. I would like to clean the engine bay. How should I go about this? Is it advisable to spray the engine with "Gunk" engine degreaser then use a pressure washer with the pressure turned down? 

Some guideance would be greatly apprecciated.

2 hours ago, poachr said:

Hey everyone, new member and new owner of a 90' se 4x4 mt. I would like to clean the engine bay. How should I go about this? Is it advisable to spray the engine with "Gunk" engine degreaser then use a pressure washer with the pressure turned down? 

Some guideance would be greatly apprecciated.

Yes, that'll work.  At home, I just use a bottle degreaser, let it set a couple minutes, then just hose it off.  At a spray-and-wash bay, I use the engine/tire degreaser and low pressure rinse.  In both cases, I avoid any direct spray towards electrical parts and the air intake.

2 hours ago, poachr said:

One other quick question, which is the best service manual, Chiltons or Haines?

Neither.  Factory Service Manual.  Unfortunately, I don't know if you'll be able to find a 1990 one online, but I know a 1993 one is available at https://nicoclub.com/archives/nissan-pathfinder-factory-service-manuals.html.  It might get you closer than 3rd party manual even for the same year.

• Like 3

I don’t use a high pressure hater spray, just regular garden hose. Warm it up, spray degreaser, let sit a min, rinse. I try not to directly spray electronics too much. I like to use purple power but if it’s really bad I go with Gunk.

The only problem I’ve ever had washing engines was some moisture in the distributor cap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, poachr said:

Thanks for sharing the video, that is pretty amazing how well he cleaned those engine bays.

Yeah, he goes nuts with the attention to detail.   I've never bothered to do more other than occasionally wipe down plastics personally, I wheel too often for it to be worth the effort.  If it weren't for rust I'd just leave the whole vehicle (minus the interior) dirty all the time.

12 minutes ago, AlabamaDan said:

That is a fantastic video. Well worth the 20 mins to watch.

I subscribed to him years ago and watch all of every video, even if it has nothing to do with a vehicle I own.  He's really good at effective teaching.  I've seen that his videos are used in auto tech classes a lot; if only he got a commission for it beyond whatever YouTube pays!

• Like 1

+1 for FSM. The 1990 manual is available, but not from Nico. These guys have it. When Nico's archive went down a while back (Nissan's lawyers got bored or something) someone posted a link to that site, and I downloaded the '90 manual to hopefully fill in some of the things about my '93 missing from the '94/'95 manuals I downloaded from Nico. Luckily my computer remembered where I got it from because I sure didn't! The '93 manual on Nico isn't actually a service manual, unfortunately; it's more of a catch-all for snippets from other manuals, random tips, and Nissan recall and service bulletins labelled in what Google Translate tells me is Latvian. There is some good stuff in there if you're willing to wade through it, but yeah, it's not a service manual; the '94/'95 manuals are the oldest proper WD21 manuals Nico's got.

I've sprayed down my engine bay at the self-serve car wash with no major issues, though I did get a little water in the power steering res once, so don't go too crazy with it.

• Like 1

Slartibartfast, thanks for the link. I checked it out there is some good info.

the more I look at cleaning the engine after watching the video and looking at all the relays, wiring and connectors I'm a little hesitant about spraying it down. 

And it aint to to bad the more I look at it. I vacuumed, whipped and used the air compressor on it. 

I like the guys video and learned a lot, but I too have sprayed water in engines without problems. I do follow up bewitch an air hose and towels to dry it. I forgot to mention that before.