hi forum members.

I am experiencing a vibration/ growl in higher rpms in 3rd gear.  (i believe it is 3rd as 4th is overdrive. correct?)
when i do not use the overdrive it is quite noticeable or if it downshifts out overdrive.

with overdrive on it shifts into quite a smooth travel.

otherwise, shifting through gears seems quite smooth

pathy also has a growl upon startup in park

i just bought this, rather mint 1995 pathy out of vancouver with 200,000 kms. immediately i took it in and had the stock cooler bypassed and transmission pan dropped for a servicing,  was told all was quite normal,  no indication of burnt fluid,  "normal"  particulate on magnet.  past owner had this vehicle regularly serviced.

any suggestions where to go from here?

Edited by kootenaypathy
adding info

I doubt the U-joints are making much noise in park, unless it's a separate issue. Fourth is overdrive, yes. If the noise is gear-dependent I'd assume it's internal to the tranny, though I don't know its workings well enough to guess at what would only make noise in third and park.

Nice! I had a weird noise from underneath mine turn out to be a loose hanger as well. I was sure it was trans related because it seemed to get worse when I was getting on it, sometimes on shifts... nope, just the exhaust flexing as the engine rocked or vibrations or something. Nice cheap fix.