Light bar and "Raptor/4Runner" running lights

02_Pathy

Hello all it’s me again. So I have some free time right now where I thought I would do a quick write up. So I’ll be going over how I installed my light bar into the bumper for a clean look and also without the use of a brush guard or other mounting bar.Then I’ll go over on how I installed amber lights into the grill to mimic what every 4runner does lol. Might as well kill 2 birds with one stone. So with the light bar I used a 30 inch china bar that is spot middle and floods on either side and unfortunately I do not know what brand it is as I got it on Ebay like 2 years ago. But the important part of the bar is how it mounts. Preferably you would need a light bar with a slim adjustable bracket that goes on the body of the light bar compared to the end mounting brackets. Next you need to remove the plastic front bumper cover to trim the “teeth” in the plastic bumper and cut a notch at the end of the plastic bumper as well as expose the steel crash bar. After cutting the “teeth” off and cutting a notch you’ll need to line up the light bar as centered as possible and perfectly perpendicular to the crash bar. I used a sharpie to mark the holes as well as used a straight edge and measuring tape to get it as close as possible. Drilling in the crash bar is not easy and takes some effort but is doable. After mounting the light bar go ahead and turn it on as this is the easiest to adjust the angle of the bar before putting the plastic cover on. After you do that you’re done! It took me several times to put the bumper back on and off to trim the plastic just a little bit at a time and as well as measuring. With this setup you get no hood glare (obviously) and also more of a “stealth” look without the addition of other mounting brackets. The only downside to this is that is removes your front plate bracket which could be a bad thing in your area depending on your front plate laws. I went ahead and just put my plate in windshield and I may relocate it up to the rack potentially. 

For the amber lights I used Grand General 77650 amber lights off amazon. I also went ahead and bought a 99 to 01 SE grill as I was tired of the LE grill of the pathy. When it arrived it was a silver color so I had to paint it black and I got it close enough with the original black on the truck. Then thanks to@TowndawgR50 and@RainGoat for light placement I then carefully dremeled out the back to cut a notch in so the lights could be more secure as the mesh wasn’t flat. After getting the right depth and width I went ahead and super glued the lights in and as well as zip tied it to the grill as an extra precaution. I then routed the wiring between the mesh so you can’t see it and I just tapped the wiring into the cigarette lighter fuse spot. So when I turn the key the lights come on and serve as my driving lights and as well as giving it more of a unique look. I tried plugging the tap into an empty slot but it didn’t work for some reason but when I put my CB radio tap in the same slot it worked so I don’t know if it needs a switch but I’m just gonna use the cigarette lighter for now. Since I was doing “light” mods I also went ahead and installed some clear corners as well. Also currently waiting for the emblem as Nissan changed it from a stick on to a bolt on but I think USPS lost it but that's another topic.

d6ab370a99ef4cfc291c1a354d7df71e.jpgd83b4d54c6630b8d671907282e87bfc1.jpg0b09e3ca622accdc5aa7f2b45f10b775.jpg6743b66e85991a9a494a9634b1887685.jpg86ad73c2c1c086f35c36a94fe486b7da.jpg1e1c4453c8ac57f12082640d88e89a95.jpgdbc734a2c0bbe09dfb65bc850fa36c0b.jpg8ef79e1741419ea214aff8cec6ff6d4a.jpgc3deedaef76ed6c2af7b7ed1e19ba2b4.jpg94d1c56489f22cd87a2711a360ef5185.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Edited by 02_Pathy
  • Like 5

I have strobing white LED's in the same spot as your amber, zip strips last 3-4 months and then break, but haven't found a better way to mount them either.
Yeah this was the best way I could mount them too, we'll just have to wait and see how long they last

• 3 weeks later...

Tried tackling a similar light bar install last weekend but ran into issues with getting wiring through the firewall. I’ve seen a couple people suggest going through the clutch plate mount, is that what you did for this?

Tried tackling a similar light bar install last weekend but ran into issues with getting wiring through the firewall. I’ve seen a couple people suggest going through the clutch plate mount, is that what you did for this?
That's what I did.

Mr Cox 96R50-97JR50

• Like 2

On 11/12/2018 at 2:59 PM, StuartW99 said:

Yup exactly what I did. Just unbolt the cover plate and feed your wire through. Then cut a small notch in the cover plate for the wire.

• 4 weeks later...

Do you have any more pictures of the light bar? Like the back end where it’s bolted on to the crash bar? Also, would a light bar with the mounting brackets on the end work? I know you recommended the type where the mounting part is on the body of the light but I found a good deal on the other style.

I can take pictures of the light bar from the back later after my finals this week. For the mounting ends they could work but I'm not sure how far they would stick downward as they might be longer than the mounting brackets on the light bar body itself.

Do you have any more pictures of the light bar? Like the back end where it’s bolted on to the crash bar? Also, would a light bar with the mounting brackets on the end work? I know you recommended the type where the mounting part is on the body of the light but I found a good deal on the other style.

I can take pictures of the light bar from the back later after my finals this week. For the mounting ends they could work but I'm not sure how far they would stick downward as they might be longer than the mounting brackets on the light bar body itself.

I see, thank you. One last question, where would be the place to wire through the firewall if I was wanting to add the new switch over to the left of the steering wheel where there is an open button place holder?

I see, thank you. One last question, where would be the place to wire through the firewall if I was wanting to add the new switch over to the left of the steering wheel where there is an open button place holder?
Theres a hole already in the firewall where the clutch would go on a manual. It's right underneath the brake booster, it's a diamond shape plate with 2 nuts holding it in place. Then you just run your wiring through there and into the empty slot with your switch. That empty spot I used for my back up lights

• Like 1

Looks great! I think that space in the bumper is a perfect place for a light bar. My install isn’t quite as clean as yours, but here is what it looks like with a slightly shorter bar in the same spot with side mounted brackets. fe2f3b928ebdb730822591f008900694.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Looks great! I think that space in the bumper is a perfect place for a light bar. My install isn’t quite as clean as yours, but here is what it looks like with a slightly shorter bar in the same spot with side mounted brackets. fe2f3b928ebdb730822591f008900694.jpg

Well I can say that your paint is cleaner than mine . Your rig looks great!

Does anybody know if a Mesh SE grille like the one 02_Pathfy put on fit on a 2004 LE? I’m sick of my stock LE grille so I ordered a billet insert and to my dismay I found out that After 2002 Nissan started molding the insert to the frame of the grille instead of bolting it on which makes it impossible for me to install the billet insert. My plan was then to just order a 2001 SE grille and then bolt on my billet insert, but now I am skeptical that Nissan has changed some other dumb thing that will make it impossible for me to fit it in. Have any of you tried putting a older grille in a 03-04? Will it fit?

Lmk if this doesn’t make any sense lol

I would assume the mounting points should be the same, like my LE grill was molded as one and couldn't remove the middle insert. I bought an 01 grill and the mounting points were the same as the 02 LE grill. As long as you have 5 inserts total (1 in the middle and 2 on each side) it should fit

Does anybody know if a Mesh SE grille like the one 02_Pathfy put on fit on a 2004 LE? I’m sick of my stock LE grille so I ordered a billet insert and to my dismay I found out that After 2002 Nissan started molding the insert to the frame of the grille instead of bolting it on which makes it impossible for me to install the billet insert. My plan was then to just order a 2001 SE grille and then bolt on my billet insert, but now I am skeptical that Nissan has changed some other dumb thing that will make it impossible for me to fit it in. Have any of you tried putting a older grille in a 03-04? Will it fit?

Lmk if this doesn’t make any sense lol

I would assume the mounting points should be the same, like my LE grill was molded as one and couldn't remove the middle insert. I bought an 01 grill and the mounting points were the same as the 02 LE grill. As long as you have 5 inserts total (1 in the middle and 2 on each side) it should fit

Ok I appreciate it. I saw a video on YouTube where the shape of the mounts looked slightly different but I agree with you. Might as well give it a shot and order it. Thanks!!

Yeah the actual mounts were different between the 01 and the 02 but they ended up bolting up just fine regardless of the mount shape. I bought my grill off parts geek for about 35 bucks and had to paint match it but it was a real simple task. I just used the auto paint you can pick up at any auto parts store

Ok I appreciate it. I saw a video on YouTube where the shape of the mounts looked slightly different but I agree with you. Might as well give it a shot and order it. Thanks!!

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, so I’ve got the light bar and I’m going to be installing it soon. What kind of button did you use to fit into the blank spot inside the truck? I’m looking around but want to make sure it’ll fit, any suggestions?

OTRATTW makes really nice automotive switches, I got mine from wiring Depot. They’ll usually say it’s for automotive, or at least give the demensions, which you can compare to your blank spots. They’re essentially universal

16 hours ago, joshrichard said:

Okay, so I’ve got the light bar and I’m going to be installing it soon. What kind of button did you use to fit into the blank spot inside the truck? I’m looking around but want to make sure it’ll fit, any suggestions?

I just used a generic rocker switch off Amazon from a long time ago but here's a link to all of the different types of rocker switches. 

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Dautomotive&field-keywords=rocker+switch&rh=n%3A15684181%2Ck%3Arocker+switch

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE: I was finally able to get the billet on to the new grille. After a few coats of plasti dip, drilling and bending metal, it has finally been installed lol. I’m disappointed that I wasn’t able to find any color match paint but I might just paint the next sections to the side of the grille and under the lights black so they don’t contrast as much. Overall I’m happy with it.

ca0dc855f4092506ce8c759b17a9abf7.jpg

2a1b3749d1575e28e0527e9f96a1cdb1.jpg

030c158a21a852e4d20a91956002e088.jpg

• Like 2