What's one thing you hate about your pathy?

Wacky_Pathy

Lack of affordable aftermarket bumpers, difficulty in lifting, lack of a timing chain in 3.3L, that it doesn't come with lockers from the factory, BUT there are more things I like.  MPG aren't that bad as a stand alone, but for this MPG I'd like more power.  Rust has never been a problem for me.

• Like 1

The fact the R50 is actually a car/cross over not an SUV/truck.  I am a Nissan Z guy so when I decided to replace my suburban I was naturally drawn to Nissan. I got my pathy with an engine I was already familiar with for way less than an Xterras with similar miles. It was only later that I discovered that the reason the price point was so good is because its not actually a SUV/truck but a car. If the R50 was made today it would be called a cross over; unibody construction, soft car style suspension and suspension tuning, open diff, almost no room to put bigger tires on.... its a car.

I've turned mine into a respectable 4wd rig, but a lot of money went to things a real 4wd would have handled from the factory.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Wacky_Pathy said:

I'll second that actually. I wish there were halfway decent performance parts for these engines

If you have a VG33 there is.  Get a turbo manifold off an old Z31 turbo and put a turbo on it. The engine also responds well to being intercooled, bigger injectors, bigger fuel delivery... I had a 88 z31 with a VG30ET that was 400hp at the wheels.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Zraver said:

If you have a VG33 there is.  Get a turbo manifold off an old Z31 turbo and put a turbo on it. The engine also responds well to being intercooled, bigger injectors, bigger fuel delivery... I had a 88 z31 with a VG30ET that was 400hp at the wheels.

Well I'd be interested in learning more about these mods...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AlabamaDan said:

Well I'd be interested in learning more about these mods...

Start researching VG33 mods. Some people bore out to 3.4l and stay NA, others add the turbo. You can also get adjustable cam gears  and a bunch of other stuff if you know where to look.

• Thanks 2

17 hours ago, Zraver said:

Are you saying put the z31 manifold on a vg30 or vg33?

6 hours ago, Wacky_Pathy said:

Are you saying put the z31 manifold on a vg30 or vg33?

The turbo intake manifold should be a direct bolt up. The VG33 is a VG30E bored out 30 over. The only difference is the top of the motor/ intake manifold

• Thanks 1

On 10/26/2018 at 7:38 AM, Wacky_Pathy said:

Cool stuff brotha. I reckon doing that will add a bit more torque/air flow so that means slightly bigger injectors and such?

The Z31 community adds injectors from a 1975 Mercedes. http://redz31.suomiz.net/pages/fuel/fuel.injectors.html.  So I don't know the ins and outs of the VG33's fuel delivery system so you might already have a bigger injector set up or better fuel flow. In my 88 turbo 300zx I did the mercedes injector install and resricted the fuel pressure regulator mod to increase injector out put. I also installed a Walpro pump.

On 10/28/2018 at 7:29 AM, onespiritbrain said:

How can we control the tune?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 11/1/2018 at 5:39 AM, AlabamaDan said:

Radio?

The knob on the right! :lol:

• Like 1

12 hours ago, RedPath88 said:

I hate how the paint on my 30 year old Pathfinder is peeling and fading :lol:

HAHA I'm starting to feel that pain right now on the roof but it's getting some good black rhino liner this winter ?

• 1 month later...
Rust and emissions problems.

I personally haven’t had emissions issues with my 1999.5 R50, but I will second the rust. My Pathy and I are from California, but moved out to Ohio about 7 years ago. After only 7 years, I’m starting to get a bit of rust on the underside and wheel wells. Luckily, I just bought my old girl some new OEM running boards (I like to think of it as an early Christmas gift), so we’ll see how that goes once I bolt them on.