Hi I'm new to NPORA and semi new to Nissan. I got 2 pathys: one is a gray on black 99 r50 vg33 2x4 stock that I picked up randomly 5 years ago because I needed transportation and the other I just picked up a week ago because i fell in love with pathys and it brought back my dream of making a runner/crawler. It is a gray black on black 03 r50 vg35 4x4 stock also. I've always wanted to build a runner/crawler and I think that my 03 r50 will be it. I've tinkered with cars for more than 15 years so I know a good amount about working on them. I could be called a garage mechanic.  I'm planning on making the 03 r50 a mild project but who knows it might become a wild project if I become even more in love with it. Any help along the way to my dream would be much appreciated. Oh and I'm in Northern California near Roseville and I would like to join any meets if there are any to share any ideas and info on these rings. 

My plans for this rig is:

*Front winch bumper

*Rear HD / more clearance bumper

*Maybe 2-3" lift

*Bigger tires 31s or 33s, whichever will fit better

*Nice roof rack for cargo and maybe tent conversion

*All around led lighting bars and pods

*Interior ideas ( storage, led lighting and guage lighting)

*******and probably other stuff along the way

*Pics of my loves coming soon*

P.S. sorry for the long intro, I'm just soo excited about finding this site. 

• Like 5

Welcome, an R50 makes a great trail runner, but it not designed to be a crawler.

On your list

Winch/bumper- self recovery is important. especially in old rigs like ours. I had the hose between the airbox and intake manifold break on the trail and had to self recover over an obstacle.  Finding one that is affordable may be a challenge.

Heavy duty springs- this should actually be mod #1. The stock pathy has a car like suspension.  Beefing up the springs gives you an actual truck.

Lift- Fluery's makes 2.5" spacers. I have them on mine, check for CV axle binding. I need to install limiting straps or go full fab and do a sfd.
https://sfcreation.com/

Tires- 285/75/16 (32.8") will fit with 2" wheel spacers (front only) and 2.5" of lift and some fender wall rolling/trimming.  Nissan did not give us any space at all to work with. I ended up with a track 4" wider in the front to fit in 33's so I sling mud. 

Roof rack- Yeah, for cargo  that is what I told myself too. Then I went 33's and stuck a full size spare up there lol. Maybe once I get a swing arm I can get my cargo space back. I went with a smaller rack overall.

Lights- doooo itttttt!!!!  Sorry, I like lights.

Interior- radios!  I have CB and HAM plus a scanner

Otherstuff- A- recovery  shackle. I use the Reese towpower vehicle recovery ring from Tractor Supply. $40.  Our pathy's have decent front recovery points but nothing really heavy duty for the rear. B- reocvery bag (tree saver, shackles, gloves, winch blanket, snatch block), C- assorted kit automotive tools, water, fire extinquisher, aid kit, e-tool or shovel C-  Gaia GPS Premium on your phone with the MVU overlays (if you have nearby federal lands to wheel).  D- rear bumper/ swing arm with tire carrier. I will probably go with the Wilco Hitchgate and give up some take off angle to save several hundred dollars.

Edited by Zraver
added link
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@ Zraver thanks for the greet and great starting info. Yeah I'm thinking the same as you about turning my rig into a runner instead of a crawler lol. My mom had a 03 wrangler which I helped turn into a crawler and it made me wanted one too. But I'm more of an all around guy so I would rather prefer a runner which I can make use as a weekday worker and a weekend runner.

For the lift: 

I'm planning on a 2" lift all around to save some gas lol. But I need help on the type of lift, brand, and where to buy (online or at a store). I dont want to do a half ass job. Lol

For the tires: 

I'm having a hard time deciding on keeping stock wheels and just getting bigger tires or getting a whole new set of tires and wheels where I can swap out for the weekend runs.

The size of tires is another dilemma too lol.

Body armor:

Front:

I'm planning to put a low profile solid metal or tube bumper for clearance with winch but I dont think they still make those anymore and if they do then where can I find one. 

Rear:

I'm planning on putting a low profile 4 or 5" tube bumper (which I'm gonna fabricate) that's also used as an air tank to reinflate the tires. 

Underbody:

??? Gonna need ideas and help figuring out how to armor that lol.

For the roof:

I'm thinking a low profile rack for storage with led light rails and/or pods all around. (Probably grabbing those on Ebay but need help and ideas on brand. 

Lights:

Lol dont worry I want my rig all lit up too the only thing is how lit would I want it. Not trying to be an airplane landing marker Haha. 

Communication:

I had a cb ham scanner already laying around extra from my mother's jeep so I'm set on that point.

Wow looking at all this, I think this mild project is basically a major build in my eyes. Whew I guess I gotta start sucking up to my wifey(boss)????

On most vehicles I'd say ability to self recover is mod #1.  Not on a R50. The single most important and cost effective mod you can do is your springs.  I went with OME but there are several options.

For lift visit that link I posted, Fluery's will take care of you. He also offers armor, as do some other vendors.