Gas mileage...

TroyButler

I know this topic has been brought up before but I see people getting around 300 miles per tank, but by the time my gauge is on E i'm only getting 200 miles (320km) and am paying $58 (75cad) a week to drive this thing. For a winter beater its certainly not cheap on gas. Is something wrong or is this to be expected? this is on 2WD, partial city and highway

It's going to depend a lot on your foot, how much stop and go city driving you do, and how long your trips are since warm ups take a lot more gas.

Also the condition of the truck matters. When my radiator fan clutch locked up it hit my mileage a lot. Vacuum leaks from crumbling old hoses, and some people have seen a big jump in mileage from replacing the MAF sensor.

As a comparison, I have a 4wd manual. I get between 16 and 20 mpg in city driving about 45 min long trips. I have a pretty heavy foot, but I also do hypermiling techniques like coasting up to stops, and trying to avoid hitting the brake as much as possible.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

My last three gas mileages have been:

a. 16.6 per gallon across a range of mountains and then back across, about 140 miles[8 gallon fill up].

b. 16.3 per gallon half interstate half city with about an hour of idling (lunch breaks) and around 260 miles[16 gallon fill up].

c. 16.369 per gallon 3/4 interstate 1/4 city with no idling (except at stop lights and stuff) and 273.591 miles[16.714 gallon fill up].

During all of these I went pretty easy on the gas pedal. I had a heavier foot during one of the incline mountain portions of (a.) and I thought surely I was going to see terrible gas mileage but to my surprise I saw the best I've seen in a long while. I've only recently been able to record gas mileage since I replaced my faulty gauge cluster..

I was getting like 12 miles per gallon and sometimes less before I replaced my cylinder heads and even had a tiny bit less power too. I dont know what the heck had happened to those cylinder heads but they were crap.

In my 1997 manual 4wd I'm getting close to 20 on pure highway driving, but mixing in city/trail driving and it is dropping down to 16-17 mixed. I was surprised at how quickly I had to refill the tank but really on have cars for comparison. I definitely notice a difference when I am driving 65 in the middle lanes vs. riding the fast lanes. 

4 hours ago, malacandro said:

In my 1997 manual 4wd I'm getting close to 20 on pure highway driving, but mixing in city/trail driving and it is dropping down to 16-17 mixed. I was surprised at how quickly I had to refill the tank but really on have cars for comparison. I definitely notice a difference when I am driving 65 in the middle lanes vs. riding the fast lanes. 

Same here, I get 20-21 mpg on highway (best was 22 once) on my 97 manual 4wd, 16-17 mixed, but only after I put free wheeling hubs on.  Prior to free wheeling hubs best I got was 19 mpg highway.

i have a 2001 R50 4x2, 215K miles   I would start with fresh tune up including fuel, air, in-cabin, and oil w/ synthetic blend oil. If smooth idle, just the plugs. Then clean out ALL passages that the air gets in using soap & water. Most IMPORTANTLY, CLEAN  THE  MAF  SENSOR !!  Make sure that it's kept clean every 5K miles... I'm driving 45 miles each way to work/home. 1st 15 miles each way is traffic.  I get a solid 19.6 using premium @ 80

• 3 weeks later...

When I had my '98, my numbers seemed to match those above.  I had a 5 speed and installed mile marker hubs and 235/75/15's.  My fuelly was only kept the last year and a half I owned the truck, but the numbers are consistent. 

http://www.fuelly.com/car/nissan/pathfinder/1998/btab/137350

Edited by Der_Vier

I get on average 235-50 depending on how i drive for city driving. This is always at the 1/4 line because that’s when I know to fill up. During a recent trip down to Arkansas I got to 288 on the 1/4 line for highway driving.

We're still doing about 13, maybe 13.5 on premium at about 4300ft elevation. Early VQs were thirsty beasts. 

I'll do spark plugs and the maf cleaning stuff at 200k (194k now) and we'll see if it improves

Edited by Inyourface1650

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 96 LE two wheel drive and I only average about 15 mpg mixed city and highway.  As crazy as it sounds, my Pathfinder does not like Raceway gas. I filled up with Raceway gas a couple of times because it was four cents cheaper than anyone else and both times my engine ran like it had a semi-stopped up fuel injector. Topped off the tank, after running down below a half, at a local Shell and it smoothed right out. So the gas you are running may have something to do with the fuel economy.