2003 8 inch lift

AlohaState

Hey guys was wondering if u know where or what i can use for an 8 inch lift. if its a 6 inch lift with shocks to get it to 8 or whatever. wanting to do it JUST BECAUSE. Theres truck show coming up next year so thats the motive. car is a 2003 well taken care of replaced basically everything. car is at 130k miles.
but yeah guys just wanting to know if its possible and if u could point me in the right direction. i know this is stupid useless and pointless.. but its just a fun project... thanks..

You'll need a SFD, I don't know of any selling them right now.

Hey guys was wondering if u know where or what i can use for an 8 inch lift. if its a 6 inch lift with shocks to get it to 8 or whatever. wanting to do it JUST BECAUSE. Theres truck show coming up next year so thats the motive. car is a 2003 well taken care of replaced basically everything. car is at 130k miles.
but yeah guys just wanting to know if its possible and if u could point me in the right direction. i know this is stupid useless and pointless.. but its just a fun project... thanks..

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Start looking around the forum for something called a sub-frame drop (SFD).  You'll need to fabricate one of those for a 6" lift, and then add 2" lift coils.  You could theoretically do an 8" SFD with stock coils, but personally I don't like the idea of putting the subframe on stilts that tall.  I believe that size has been done a couple times now, so you should be able to get steering to work, not sure if you'll need a custom front driveshaft.  You'll almost certainly need one in the rear and custom links, but these things seem to vary from case-to-case more than makes sense.

Oh yeah, and you'll of course need longer brake lines and way longer shocks and springs in the rear, there's a few different vehicles that people have use parts from for that stuff before, you'll start to find out more about it as you research SFD's.

• Like 1

A lift of that height would sure be quite a project. I'll sum up by listing the absolute necessities.

Front suspension parts:

Custom fabbed 6" SFD (will need to include blocks to drop the front subframe, engine mounts, steering shaft joint, strut tower spacers)

2" coils (available from AC

Custom lengthened front driveshaft (probably to include double CV joints due to the much greater angles)

Longer brake lines

Rear suspension:

Appropriate combination of either Grand Cherokee or Land Rover springs & spacers (the right springs could probably net you 6" then 2"spacers)

Longer shocks (gonna have to do your homework to find what would work best)

Custom fabbed panhard drop bracket

Custom lengthened upper & lower trailing arms (panhard bracket & trailing arms would be to keep proper rear axle geometry & alignment)

Custom lengthened rear driveshaft

Longer brake lines

Can it and has it been done? Yes. Is it a ton of fabrication, figuring, work and money? Yes. Is it worth all of this to be able to get 35's or maybe 37's under a vehicle that can't be regeared to compensate for the much larger tires? Depends on your wants and intended use. If all you're looking to build is a show queen, mall crawler or boulevard bruiser, than as long as all the work is done properly, with safety and driveability in mind, and dropping close to 10-grand to build a unique ride isn't an issue, go for it! Don't expect it to be a good commuter or daily driver (not saying you couldn't, just wouldn't be very practical), or an amazingly powerful mud bogger or rock crawler (unless yyou take the project even further, adding a transfer case doubler and/or doing a solid axle swap, which would make almost all on the above list null & void).

Keep us posted on your decision

• Like 2