Calmini Tie rod ends and Adjusters

msavides

I have not been around the forums too much lately. My 91 Pathfinder has just been sitting in the garage due to alignment woes.  I bought a calmini HD steering kit years ago. A couple years ago I took my truck to the alignment shop and they said they could not adjust the Tie rods because the adjuster was seized.  I took it home and preceded to tear it apart. I tried everything to get this adjuster off the  outer TRE. It will not budge, it is like it is welded on. I Hopped on Calmini's web site and ordered an adjuster for $90.  It is now over 2 years later and I still have not got my adjuster. I have called them about 30 times and all I get is we are looking for someone to machine them it will be a couple of weeks. 

I The other day I decided to look into alternatives.  The problem is the Stock inner TRE are way too small .511 - .59. they will not wedge in.  Calmini's adjuster is a male thread at m14-1.5 (inner) to Female M16-1.5 (outer)  Nothing like that that I can find.  The Calmini  Inners TRE are off a 2004 xterra (Wedge is .708)

I could not find any matching M16 Inner TRE that has a .708 wedge.  I imagine that is why Calmini made the Adjuster to M14. 

After spending 3 hours Looking on Moog's website I think I found the combination that will work. It is using those same Calmini Inner TRE with the Same Xterra Adjusters. Male to Male M14-1.5 to a Moog-ES3413 

Here is what I came up with 

Outer TRE  Moog-ES3412 

3.7"  M14-1.5 Female  wedge .511 - .59

replacing stock TRE

Stock outer  Moog-ES3002r

5.12"  m16-1.5r Male wedge .521 - .59

Adjuster Moog-ES3090S

6.63"  M14-1.5 Male to Male 

Replacing Calmini custom Adjuster

M14-1.5 Male to M16-1.5 Female

Inner TRE Moog-ES3660

3.7" M14-1.5 Female Wedge .708

Same as Calmini Inner TRE

I am concerned about Weakening My steering.  Although I already had half my Steering reduced from M16 to M14

Again, The 2004 Xterra TRE assemblies are stock like this M-14 to M-14 to M-14.  Does anyone know of Xterra steering being weaker that WD-21's steering?

If anyone is interested, I will post pics of the assembly when I get it and install it. 

Edited by msavides
mispell

Looks like it's possible to break the Xterra adjuster, but the same guys are talking about some kind of upgraded variant, so maybe that's an option. Too bad Calmini can't get their crap together.

What all have you tried to free the adapter? If all else fails it seems like a machine shop could probably machine out the TRE (like drilling a snapped bolt) and then clean up the threads if they're badly galled or corroded.

Unfortunately, nobody wants to risk the liability of making or drilling out the adjuster

I wish it was on the inner tie rod side that way I could just cut and split the tie rod with a cutting tool to release the Adjuster, But Alas it is on the outer Female side of the adjuster.  It is on there so good that I have used Heat, cold, Broke a 10" bench Vise trying to use a 10 foot cheater bar on the end of a wrench. (That is when I gave up)

Thanks for the info, I just ordered the HD adjusters from 4x4parts.  Read that the Calmini adjusters are too long for the stock TREs. Beside they probably don't have those in stock. 

Edited by msavides
mispell