Rola rack and mounts

02_Pathy

6 hours ago, TowndawgR50 said:

I tend carry 100-200lbs of fire wood while wheeling. Usually just cut and gather it as we go along the trails and get enough for 1-2 lengthy nights by the fire with no problem. 

So you toss 100-200 lbs of firewood on the roof rack?

I know we've been talking about the Role rack, but I found this universal one on Amazon for $100 bucks.  Thoughts?  It's about 1/2 the price.  The dimensions still work to use the conduit connectors.

Screen%20Shot%202018-10-14%20at%2011.06.

Edited by AlabamaDan

Looks like that's the same rack@TowndawgR50 uses on his rig with conduit clamps

I know we've been talking about the Role rack, but I found this universal one on Amazon for $100 bucks.  Thoughts?  It's about 1/2 the price.  The dimensions still work to use the conduit connectors.

Screen%20Shot%202018-10-14%20at%2011.06.37%20PM_zpshv6qomdn.png

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Looks the same. I think mine is made by Curt. Same folks who make receivers and towing equipment.  

Downside with this rack is that its slightly narrower than the rola and has a taller profile but the conduit clamps work. They will give and conform. Just try to center it before tightening the clamps

One thing i feel like may have been overlooked is the fasteners that come with conduit clamps. Theyre usually garbage and not designed for these kinds of applications. I replaced all of the fasteners with stainless hardware- hex head bolts with flat&lock washers, including the bolts that hold the conuits to the rails.

• Like 1

I say buy that one. No point in spending so much on the rola rack. This will hold more than enough weight like towndawg has shown. I think the only down side is the center piece is 2 parts that slide together so they sort of cave in when you have a lot of weight centered there. The front and back are solid and will hold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That Curt rack is the one I have as well, it's solid.  Just like any other rack, they rust from the inside out, so I'd spray extra paint down in there before assembly.  And for mine, the hex head on the included screws stripped out pretty easily.  Otherwise, it's been good.