Intermittent ABS Light

dezm

Hey all! Tried giving this a search but couldn’t come up with anything.

Vehicle is a 2003 Chilkoot auto.

A few months ago I had the ABS light come on. It’s been intermittently turning on and off since. Sometimes restarting the vehicle clears it sometimes it doesn’t.

I took it to a shop a few weeks ago and they pulled codes 1 and 5, which according to their book doesn’t exist...

They then took it for a drive around the lot with the scanner plugged in and said that all 4 wheel sensors were functioning normally. 

I continued to drive it for the following month and the light actually turned off for a number of weeks. A few days ago it came on again. Can’t seem to link it to any types of driving conditions etc.

anybody have any experience with something like this? Maybe the ABS Controller? 

It’s also temporarily disabled the 4wd system in the past but that was solved by simply restarting the vehicle.

Any thoughts/past experience would be really appreciated!

You can pull the codes yourself pretty easily.  You just ground a pin on the OBD port and the ABS light will flash the code.  See BR-41 here: http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/Pathfinder/2003_Pathfinder/br.pdf.  The code chart is on BR-54.

Just be mindful of where pin #9 is.  I can't remember if it's my Pathfinder or Frontier, but the OBD port is oriented upside down relative to the diagram in the FSM.  The other other "pin 9" will pop a fuse somewhere.

Generally speaking, it might help to pull the ABS sensors and clean off any metal shavings or grease that has accumulated on them.  While I've never had problems pulling mine (knock on wood), I've heard of some horror stories.  Proceed with caution as to not damage them.  Others have noted that rust on the sensor mounting face can alter the air gap between sensor and tone ring.  Lastly, confirm that all your tires are of the same size and are wearing evenly; variations between tires may be sensed as a slip condition.