Auto to manual swap

Braden

I have a super clean 2003 pathfinder 3.5 4x4 auto and I also have a deal lined up on a  2002 pathfinder 3.5 4x4 5 speed manual. My question is what all am I going to need to change over onto my 2003 from the 2002 for a manual transmission swap. I’m sure it’s been done but I’m having trouble finding anything. Any help is appreciated thanks!!

:welcome:

I've seen at least one good thread on manual-swapping a WD21 but I don't think I've seen one yet for an R50. Should be about the same process, and having a complete parts donor is great! IIRC the WD21 dash has to come out to swap the pedal box, hopefully the R50 doesn't make you do that. The neutral safety switch for the auto trans will need to be wired to the clutch safety switch instead, or bypassed if you prefer. The bolts for the manual flywheel vs the auto flexplate are probably different, so keep track of those.

The only curveball I can think of is that your old ECU may realize the auto trans is missing and take exception to that. If you have to swap in the manual ECU, you'll probably need to swap in the donor's intake manifold as well, both because the auto trans VQs came with power valves and the manuals didn't (no idea why) and because IIRC the R50s went from cable throttle to drive-by-wire between '02 and '03. If you're converting from drive-by-wire to cable, you'll more than likely need the donor's wiring harness as well.

If you want to check out wiring diagrams and such, you can get the service manuals here. Good luck and let us know how it goes!