Rear Brake Vibration

ryjaytay38

Hey guys,

I haven't been on here for a little while, but as usual, when something is a little off, I need to ask your advice. I put new rear brake drums, shoes and springs on my 01 Pathfinder. I read that to break them in, you need to go about 45-55 and brake relatively hard down to about 15, back up to speed and repeat 8-10 times in a row. Then drive for 10 minutes about 25-35 without using brakes to cool them. I did this and now I have a wicked vibration when I apply the brakes. So, what did I do wrong? Is it fixable? Should I get new shoes and start over? Go ahead and get your laughs in but any suggestions, are welcomed!!!

Thanks Guys!

I know if you stop and hold the brakes while they're hot, the pads can deposit patches on the rotors and cause vibration (I assume shoes and drums can do the same?) but it doesn't sound like you did that. I'd open it up again and see if something came loose.

I pulled out the Acdelco shoes and put Wagner in. The drivers side Acdelco's looked liked they were burned. I took the drums and cleaned them with brakekleen. Put the Wagners in and was careful to adjust them the same. There is still a vibration but nothing like it was. I've read some crazy @!*% like driving 100 yards with ebrake on? Is that really an option? I read a few different posts about sanding the drums? I don't know what else to do! I'm not taking it to a shop. Drum brakes can't be THAT difficult....or can they?

I'm no drum brake expert either. But I remember my friend's van had a vibration in the rear brakes, and we replaced the drums, and the vibration went away. :shrug: The drums we took off looked fine, but we didn't have a way to check for runout. I think his just sort of developed, though, it didn't show up suddenly after a brake service like yours did. How's the hub surface that the drum mounts to? I'm wondering if maybe there's a lump of rust scale or dirt or something that's gotten in between and is preventing the drum from sitting flat.

The E-brake procedure sounds reasonable to me--it's the same hardware as your normal brakes, but with the e-brake, you're not dragging the front brakes at the same time.

When I initially started this little venture, I replaced everything except the adjuster. I replaced the drums, shoes, and springs. You made a good point that I didn't think of. I didn't think that it may be a small piece of something inside. I blew it off with my compressor and cleaned off the flat spots where the shoes ride and greased them. I wasn't thorough so that might have come back to bite me. I didn't think about the e-brake like that. I guess it sounded kind of harsh, but heck, I'll try anything. It felt a little smoother tonight when I drove. I don't know if it can get smoother with time? The Wagner shoes feel a million times better than the Acdelcos though. After work tomorrow, I'll pull off the drums and see what I can get out of there with a wire brush and go from there. I'll definitely let you know